Gt. Yarmouth North Denes
towermill No. 5A


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


c.1845
c.1845

North Denes tower mill No. 5a was built c.1822 to replace the original towermill on the same site that had been built n 1779 for T. & R. Hammond. The mill had a domed cap and was turned to wind via a fantail. Power supplied by four patent sails drove two pairs of French burr stones, two flour mills and a jumper.


The picture above although claiming to show Pilch's mill, may in fact have been the earlier_mill on the same site as the mill appears to be powered by common sails and there is no fantail.


POOR RATE 1820
South Wards & Midds.

3rd Rate from Lady 1820 1s. 8d. per month.
Made 19 October 1820.
Tenant: HAMMOND, Thomas
Rents
Dwelling House (empty)
Mill
Stock £75 (@ 5%)
TOTAL
£6
£20
£3.15s
£37.15s
Rate
£9.8.9

POOR RATE 1824/25
South Ward

4th Rate from Lady 1824.
Made 14 January 1825 at 3s. in the Pound
Occupier: HAMMOND, Thomas
Rents
Mill
do
Dwelling House
Mill House
Fish House
Flour Shop
Stock £50 (@ 5%)
TOTAL
£20 (No. 5A)
£10 (No. 4A)
£6
£6
£5
£2
£2.10s
£51.10s
Rate - 3 months at 1s per month
£7.14.6d

POOR RATE 1830
South Ward
1st Quarter. 3 months at 1s. 2d. per month
Made 11 May 1830
Occupier: Hammond, Thomas
Rents

Mill (No. 5A)
do (No. 4A)
Dwelling house
Fish house
Flour shop
Stook
TOTAL

£20
10.
6.
5.
2.
2. 10s.
£45. 10s.

3 months Poor Rate £7. 19. 3

WOOLLSEY & SECKER's Bankruptcy
Notice is hereby given to all persons who are indebted to the Estate of the said Bankrupts to pay the amount of their respective Debts with onr month from the date hereof to Mr. Thomas HAMMOND the younger of Great Yarmouth, Miller, on of the Asigneees, otherwise legal means will be taken to enforce the payment thereof.
Dated this 4th day of August 1831.
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th August 1831

The 1831 Survey of Great Yarmouth by S. A. Rumball contains a plan of the town by R. K. Dawson that shows HAMMOND'S MILL in Market Ward.


To be SOLD
A Brick TOWER WINDMILL situate on the Yarmouth Denes, having patent Sails, two pair of good French Stones, two Flour Mills, Jumper etc.
The Mill is in good repair and now in full Trade.
Apply to Mr. John Green, Surveyor, Regent Street, Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st June 1833


POOR RATE 1835
South Ward
& Mids.
3rd Rate from Lady Day 1835.
Made 10 November 1835 at 1s. 3d. per month
Occupier: COLE, Antony
Rents
Mill
Dwelling House
Stock £50 (@ 5%)
TOTAL
£17
£6
£2. 10s.
£25. 10s.
Rate at 3s. 6d. in the pound
£4. 9. 3

POOR RATE 1845
Market Ward
3rd Quarter (Michaelmas - Christmas)
No. 73
Occupier:
Owner
PILCH, Anthony
Himself
House, Lodging Ho., Mill, Granary & Garden, Beach
Estimated Rental
Rateable Value



£70
£56

Rate at 1s. 4d. in the pound
£3.14.8

Street map drawn by Harry Apling
Street map drawn by Harry Apling
Left of the map faces north

Thomas Hammond owned the mill until 1842, when it was bought by Anthony Pilch.
The final owner of the mill was Edward Steward of Norwich who demolished the mill c.1855 in order to build a summer residence. The site later became the site of the Queen's Hotel.


Poor Rate 1820: Thomas Hammond, tenant miller (also at No. 4a)

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Cary's map 1832: Windmill

June 1833: Mill advertised for sale

Poor Rate 1835: Anthony Cole, miller (also at No. 9)

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

1842: Thomas Hammond, tenant miller

1842: Anthony Pilch, miller

1845: Anthony Pilch, owner & occupier, miller

c.1855: Edwards Steward, owner

c.1855: Mill dismantled



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG53060768
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2013