Gt. Yarmouth North Denes
towermill No. 5


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

North Denes tower mill No. 5 was built in 1779 for T. & R. Hammond on the later site of the Queen's Hotel at the junction between Regent Road and Marine Parade. The mill had a domed cap and was turned to wind via a tailpole. Power was supplied by four common sails that were later changed to patent sails at which time the mill was running two pairs of French burr stones, two flour mils and jumper.


T. & R. HAMMOND
Signatories to Notice re SACK ASSOCIATION.
Norfolk Chronicle - 7th & 21st May 1791


POOR RATE 1810
South Midds Ward.

1st Quarter from Easter 1810, 3 months at 1s. 2d. in the £ per month. Made 3 July 1810.
Tenant: HAMMOND, Thomas
Rents.
Dwelling House
Mill (No. 5)
Mill (No. 4A)
Granary
do
Stock (£75)
Total
£5.
....18.
....12
......4.
......2.
.3.15s.
£44.15s
Poor rate
  £7. 16. 7½
N.B. Thomas Hammond was previously a leaseholder of Regent Rd towermill

To be Let or Sold
With Immediate Possession
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL situate upon Yarmouth Denes, now in full trade, with neat Dwelling house, granaries, stable and every convenience for carrying on an extensive business.
Apply to Robert Cory, jun. Solr. Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 9th March, 6th April, 14th & 21st September 1816


Mill was subject of an 1819 Norwich School painting by John Crome entitled Yarmouth Beach & Mill looking North.


To Millers
To be Let with Possession at Michaelmas next
A Substantial Brick tower WINDMILL with patent Sails, two pair of French Stones, two flour Mills, Jumper etc., also a Dwelling house, cottage, granary, and stable, in full trade and advantageously situated for business on Yarmouth Denes.
Apply (if by letter post paid) to Mr. W. Thurtell, the present occupier.
Norfolk Chronicle - 24th June, 29th July, 9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th September, 7th October 1820


POOR RATE 1820
South Wards & Midds.

3rd Rate from Lady 1820 1s. 8d. per month.
Made 19 October 1820.
Tenant: THURTLE, Thomas
(in pencil Now Thos. Hammond)
Rents.
Dwelling House
Mill
Mill House & Granary
Stock £75 (@ 5%)
Total
£6
£20
£8
£3.15.0.
....
Rate
   

1779: Mill built for T. & R. Hammond, millers

1791: T. & R. Hammond, millers

Poll book 1802: Thomas Hammond, miller

Poll book 1806: Thomas Hammond, miller

Poor Rate 1810: Thomas Hammond, tenant miller (also at No. 4a)

March 1816: Mill advertised for sale or let

Poll book 1817: Thomas Hammond, miller

1820: Walter Thurtell, miller

June 1820: Mill advertised to be let

1820: Thomas Hammond, miller (also at No. 4a)

1822: Thomas Hammond, miller (also at No. 4a)

c.1822: Mill replaced by a new towermill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG53060768
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2013