Gt. Yarmouth Southtown
High Mill
towermill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills


c.1890
c.1890

Gt Yarmouth Southtown tower mill, which was often known as High Mill or Press's Mill was 122 feet to the top of the 20 foot lantern and was the tallest windmill ever built in Europe, extending to 12 storeys including the ogee cap. The lantern was installed to act as a lighthouse. At ground level, the base of the mill had an outside diameter of 40 feet (also reported at 46 feet) with walls 3 feet thick and it was said that carts could drive into the mill to load up inside the tower.


The mill had 4 double shuttered patent sails with an 84 foot span and 10 bays of 3 shutters that drove 4 pairs of stones on the 7th floor, 3 flour mills and 2 jumpers. The ogee cap had a gallery and held an 8 bladed fantail with a chainpole and the stage was on the 6th floor. The windshaft was reported to have weighed 5 tons and when combined with the cap, gallery and fantail the weight was said to have totaled 15 tons.


The 4 pairs of stones ground 9 coombs of wheat or 20 coombs of oats per hour.


YARMOUTH - SMALL COLLECTIONS
Class No. D 32/1
SOUTHTOWN MILLS
Judgment in BROWN, D. D. v WOOLLSEY and others re payment of tithes on mills at Southtown and
Counsel's opinion re same. 1826
Court of Exchequer Tuesday 7 February 1826
Lord Chief Baron -
Tithe cause, Plaintiff Rector of South Town against defendants for an account of the Tithes of Mills in their occupation.
Defendant WATERS - mill built within 50 years on the site of an old mill and is therefore an ancient mill - no support for this, therefore all recent mills.
Defendants say they do not grind for hire in the usual way, but they are Corn and Grain merchants, that they buy the corn and grain, grind it and then sell the Flour in its manufactured state and they insist that for this operation no tithe is payable.
Case dismissed as Defendants business regarded as a Trade on which no tithe was payable. Difficult to separate small amount of grist or Bag Work (for which tithe might be payable on the profits) from their main business as Corn Merchants.
Counsel's opinion - Disagreed with judgment, might be a case for appeal, but costs would greatly exceed amount of tithe involved.
-----------------------
Defendants - John WOOLLSEY of High Mill
James JENNER of Green Cap Mill
Robert WATERS of Cobholm Mill

In 1825 Dr. Browne as Rector of Southtown and Vicar of Gorleston took legal proceedings against Woollsey and others to compel payments of tithes on their mills. The defendants contended that they were merchants purchasing corn, grinding it and selling the flour and not grinding other people's grain for profit, as was generally the case with ancient mills, which it was admitted, were titheable. When the case came before the Barons of the Exchequer, they by a majority, dismissed the Bill, but without costs. Dr. Browne then applied to the clergy in general for funds to carry the cause to the House of Lords, but receiving no response, the matter dropped.
The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth, Charles John Palmer - 1875

John WOOLLSEY & John SECKER
Late Wine & Spirit Merchants
Commission of Bankrupt dated 13 May 1831
Norfolk Chronicle - 11th June 1831 & 10th November 1832

WOOLLSEY & SECKER's Bankruptcy
Notice is hereby given to all persons who are indebted to the Estate of the said Bankrupts to pay the amount of their respective Debts with one month from the date hereof to Mr. Thomas_HAMMOND the younger of Great Yarmouth, Miller, one of the Assignees, otherwise legal means will be taken to enforce the payment thereof.
Dated this 4th day of August 1831.
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th August 1831

To be Sold by Auction under a Commission of Bankrupt against John WOOLLSEY & John SECKER, of Great Yarmouth, wine & spirit merchants, dealers & chapmen, and on the application of the Mortgagees, at the Bear Inn, Bridge Foot, Great Yarmouth, on 8 September.
Lot 1.
. . . the 11 floor mill at Southtown . . .
London Gazette - 16th August 1831

To MERCHANTS, MILLERS, and CAPITALISTS

To be Premptorily SOLD by AUCTION
Pursuant to Certain Orders of the Commissioners under a Commission of Bankrupt awarded and issued against JOHN WOOLSEY & JOHN SECKER of Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk, Wine & Spirit Merchants, Dealers & Chapmen and on the application of the Mortgagees the following ESTATES at the respective places aforementioned.
At the Bear Inn Bridge Foot, Great Yarmouth, on Thursday 8th September next at 11 o'c, by WALTER C. PETTINGILL
Lot 1.
All the capital new built WINDMILL situate in Southtown next Great Yarmouth, having a Brick Tower containing eleven floors, the lowest being 34 feet diameter, working four pair of stones, three flour mills and two jumpers, capable of manufacturing upon an average 120 quarters of wheat per week; also a convenient new built Dwelling house with stable, suitable offices and two acres of capital pasture land situate in Southtown aforesaid where the parochial charges are trifling and within 200 yards of Yarmouth Bridge and the Corn Market.
The Mill is in full trade with good country and town connections.
The above Estate is Leasehold for a term of 80 years of which 61 will be unexpired at Christmas next and is subject only to an annual rent of £20.
Lot 2.
All the capital Freehold Messuage with shop . . .
And also at the King's Arms Inn, North Walsham
On the aforesaid 8th day of September, at Six o'clock in the Evening,
Lot 3.
All that capital Dwelling-house, with convenient outbuildings, yard and garden, together with the Water-mill, Cottage, and Granaries adjoining, and about 16 acres of Arable and Meadow Land of the best quality, in the highest state of cultivation. And also a Wind-mill and about two roods and 30 perches of Arable Land.
The above Premises are situate in Swafield and North Walsham, and are in full trade, and now in the occupation of Mr. Benjamin Postle Woollsey, as tenant from year to year.
The Water_Mill, Cottage, Granaries, and about nine acres of the Land are Leasehold of the Bishop of Norwich, for a term of 21 years, commencing the 10th October, 1827, at an annual rent of 3l. 13s. 4d. The Mill commands a good head of water, and drives two pair of stones and two flour mills.
The Dwelling-house, Out-buildings, Yard and Garden, and about five acres, three roods, and 22 perches of the Land are Freehold and pleasantly situated.
The Wind-mill, which is in excellent repair, and two roods and 30 perches of Land are Copy-hold of the Manor of North Walsham about half a mile.
This Estate offers either a desirable Investment for Money, or a good situation for an active Man of Business, having water carriage to the Port of Yarmouth, is within 16 miles of Norwich, one of North Walsham, and 26 of Yarmouth.
And at the same time and place last mentioned, will be Sold by order of the Assignees of the said Bankrupt.
A Place of Freehold Arable Land, situate in Swafield, near Swafield Bridge, leading over the North Walsham and Dilham Canal, containing about one acre and one rood, and is well calculated for Warehouses, Granaries, Coal and Timber Yards - Also one Share in the North Walsham and Dilham Canal.
Further particulars may be had in London of Messrs. Amory and Coles, Solicitors, Throgmorton Street; Messrs. Swaine and C. Solicitors, Frederick's Place, Old Jewry; Mr. Lythgoe, Essex Street, Strand; and in the County, of Mr. Clowes, and Messrs. Sayers and Glasspool, Solicitors, Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th, 20th & 27th August 1831

Norfolk Chronicle - 13th, 20th & 27th August 1831
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th, 20th & 27th August 1831

Yarmouth Windmill, H. B. Johnson, Mercury - 1831
Yarmouth Windmill, H. B. Johnson, Mercury - 1831

WOOLLSEY & SECKER's Bankruptcy
Notice is hereby given to all persons who are indebted to the Estate of the said Bankrupts to pay the amount of their respective Debts to Mr. Thomas_HAMMOND of Great Yarmouth, Miller, one of the Assignees within ten days from the date hereof and that unless the same are severally discharges accordingly proceedings will be commenced without further notice.
Great Yarmouth, 15 March 1832.
Norfolk Chronicle - 17th March 1832

WOOLLSEY & SECKER's BANKRUPTCY
The creditors who have proved their debts and substantiated their claims under the above mentioned Bankruptcy may receive a Dividend upon their respective debts under the Joint Estate of the said Bankrupts and the separate Estate of John WOOLLSEY upon application at the Bank of Messrs. GURNEYS, TURNER & BRIGHTWEN, Bankers, Great Yarmouth.
By Order of the Assignees
Great Yarmouth, 15 March 1832.
Thos. CLOWES
Norfolk Chronicle - 17th March 1832

An Old Established CORN MILL
To be Sold by Auction by Pettingill at the Star Hotel, Great Yarmouth on Wednesday, 6 July 1842 at 12 o'c noon.
A Capital BRICK TOWER WINDMILL with Respectable RESIDENCE, Gardens, Malthouse, Cottages etc. In Southtown, Suffolk.
Lot 1.
All that excellent WINDMILL situate in Southtown next Great Yarmouth under Lease to Mr. Branford which expires at Michaelmas next, having a Brick Tower containing eleven floors, the lowest thirty four diameter and capable of manufacturing upon an average 120 quarters of wheat per week; a convenient Dwelling House with suitable offices, Stables, Gig and Harness house, Cart lodge, Cow house, Pig cotes etc., well planted Gardens and Pasture Land about 2 acres.
The above Premises are well establishes for trade and are about 200 yards from Yarmouth Bridge, near the Corn Market and eligibly situated for doing an extensive Business. The parochial charges are trifling.
The above Estate is Leasehold for a term of 80 years of which 51 were unexpired at Christmas last and is subject to an Annual Ground Rent of £20.
Lot 2.
A Malt House known as "Matsell's Malting" of 30 coombs Steep with Yard, and cottage adjoining situate near Lot 1. Unoccupied.
The above Estate is Leasehold for a term of 80 years of which 44 were unexpired at Christmas last and subject only to an apportioned Ground Rent of £2. 10s.
Apply to the Auctioneer or to Messrs. Clowes & Son, Solrs. Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 25th June & 2nd July 1842

Tithe map of 1843 as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map of 1843 as redrawn by Harry Apling

c.1845 a steam engine to drive an additional 3 pairs of stones was installed.


Southtown. Title Deeds of the Press Family Property.
Two acres west of road to Cobholm and south of road to Back Marshes in 1812 leased for term of 80 years by George Anson's trustees to John Woolsey and where in 1812/13 Woollsey had erected a brick tower windmill (later known as High Mill, and a messuage valued at £2000.
Lease assigned to
BIRKBECK, STAFFORD & RODGERS.
Property conveyed in 1881 by Stephen John Frederick Stafford to Edward and Benjamin Howard Press.
Also documents re bankruptcy of John Woollsey and John Secker in 1831
and repairs of 1870 to steam machinery

Brick built windmill eleven floors high driving four pairs of stones with boiler house, dwelling house etc.
Piece of accommodation marsh next same, sold in 1883 by the Earl of Lichfield and Viscount Anson to Edward and Benjamin Howard Press.
Lucas & Wyllys, Yarmouth Records, Norfolk Record Office

In 1831 the grinding capacity of the 4 pairs of stones was recorded as:
120 quarters of wheat per week
120 quarters = 12 lasts = 240 coomb sacks
i.e. 60 coombs per week per pair of stones.


Tithe Award 1849
Map Pratt & Son, Surveyors, Norwich & Richard Barnes, Surveyor, Lowestoft, 1843
Owner: Earl of Lichfield
Occupiers: Gurneys & Co

No. 144
No. 61

House, Mill & Premises
Marsh

Pasture
Pasture

1a. 1r. 21p.
1a. 1r. 34p.

6s 6d
7s
---------
13s 6d

It would appear that
The Earl of Lichfield was the lessor of the land
Gurneys & Co (Bankers) were mortgagees in possession rather than the leaseholders


c.1895
c.1895

Sketch c.1890 Sketch c.1890
Sketch c.1890
Sketch c.1890

St. Ann's Foundry, King Street,
Norwich, June 28th 1853
Mr. H. Gambling,
Sir,
Having examined the High Mill, Southdown, I beg to say I will undertake to execute the following repairs. viz. 1 new clamp to Stock 34ft long 12"x12". To take down the 4 sails and repair do. with new canvas to vanes, new screws & sail irons where necessary, to ease the neck brass, to make a new tail brass, to find new cogs and gear the wheel to drive the flourmills, with the cogs now in the Mill, one wood rigger to do. - to find cogs and gear 2 stone nuts, and repr. 2 pr. universal joints to flourmills with Men's time at Mill taking down and refixing sails &c. in a workmanlike manner will amt. to the sum of Sixty Four Pounds five shillings.
£64.5.0
I am,
Sir,
£64. 5. 0. Your Obedt. & Hble. Servt.
for Thos. Smithdale,
John G. Buttifant

9-7-1853
Mr. Gambling, Yarmouth
   
   
cost
with profit
   

£. s. d.

£. s. d.
  2 14" files
 
4.3.
  King. 6 days
1.8.0.
1.13.0.
  Brister. 5¾ do.
1. 3.11½
1. 8. 9.
  Labourer. 5 do.
12. 6.
15. 0.
16-7. King. 6 days
1. 8. 0.
1.13. 0.
  Brister. 6¼ do.
1. 6. ½
1.11. 3.
  Carrow. 5½ do.
Labourer. 3 do.
John G. B. ¾ do.
1. 0. 2.
7. 6.
3. 1½
1. 7. 6.
9. 0.
3. 9.









19-7.

30-7.

6-8.

13-8.


20-8.
27-8.

Train, J.G.B. and Men
H.C. & Brister, Lodgings
J.G.B. 2¼ days Patterns
3 maces & 3 rings
Sawing clamp
1 Gross 2in. screws
1 do. 1½in. do
50 cogs S. wheel
13 Yards Canvas for Vanes
21ft. Appletree 2.in for Stone nut cogs
Time cutting do.
Gowen. ¾ day Gearing
1 Step 12½ lbs.
4 Brasses Jumper. 3lbs.
Iron for crotches 9lbs.
Time at Mill
Do. shop.
Do. Do.
Do. Do.
Do. at Mill.
Do. at Shop.
Do. Mill.
22 yds. Canvass
Railway Expences and Journeys
5. 0.)_
4. 0.)
7.10½
7.10½
7. 4.
2.10.
1. 6.
11. 2½
9. 2½
7. 0.
8. 0.
3. 0.



7.15. 6.
1.11. 3.
6. 6.
19.10½
5.19. 9½
10. 2.
8. 3. 1.
15. 7.
2.0.0.

9. 0.
10. 1½
15. 9.
7. 4.
4. 6.
3. 6.
10.10½
10. 3½
10. 6.
3. 4½
3. 4½
14. 7.
4. 6.
4. 6.
9. 6. 0.
1.18. 3.
8. 6.
1. 6. 3.
7. 5. 6.
13. 6.
9.18. 9.
17. 5.
2.0.0.

The mill worked both day and night; a double shift of four men each was worked. In 1854 during the Crimean War, the mill came into national prominence when its flour was supplied to Lord Raglan's army and shipped by a number of Yarmouth's famous clipper schooners, chartered to race to the Black Sea ports.


Accident – On Wednesday afternoon Mr Holmes, an engineer belonging to Norwich, while superintending some alterations at the High-mill, Southtown, by some means entangled his left hand in the machinery, and received very severe injuries. 

Norfolk Chronicle - 24th August 1861

Parish of Gorleston with the Hamlet of Southtown in the Counties of Suffolk & Norfolk
POOR RATE 1870
Made 11 May 1870 at 4d in the £
Occupier: Parker, William
Owner: do
House, Mill & Land, Mill Road, 2a. 2r. 9p
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value

£135
£90
 
3 months Poor Rate
£ 1. 10s.

J. W. DE CAUX has received instructions from the Mortgagees to Sell by Auction without reserve on Wednesday July 27, 1870 at 4 o'c in the afternoon at the Star Hotel, Great Yarmouth in One Lot including Fixtures, all that spacious and commodious Brick Tower Wind & Steam MILL situate in Southtown, next Great Yarmouth with the Dwelling House and Outbuildings and 2 acres of Garden Ground and Pasture Land attached.
THE MILL is very strongly built and is ain a good state of repair; it contains eleven floors, the lowest of which is 34 feet in diameter. It is fitted with four pairs which are driven by the wind and three pairs of stones which are worked by a Steam Engine of 12 horse power that is driven by a boiler of 16 horse power. The machinery throughout is complete and in perfect working order.
The above Premises are remarkably well situate for Trade being in close proximity to the Haven and the Great Eastern Railway Co's Southtown Station. They are now in the occupation of Mr. William Parker and possession may be had at Michaelmas. They are leasehold for a term of 80 years from the 25 December 1812 at an annual rent of £20.
Apply to Mr. William Worship, Solr. or the Auctioneers, Great Yarmouth.

Norfolk News - 23rd July 1870


J. W. DE CAUX has received instructions from the Mortgagees to Sell by Auction without reserve on Thursday September 15, 1870 at 6 for 7 o'c in the evening at the Star Hotel, Great Yarmouth in One Lot including Fixtures, all that spacious and commodious Brick Tower Wind & Steam MILL situate in Southtown, next Great Yarmouth with the Dwelling House and Outbuildings and 2 acres of Garden Ground and Pasture Land attached.
THE MILL is very strongly built and is ain a good state of repair; it contains eleven floors, the lowest of which is 34 feet in diameter. It is fitted with four pairs which are driven by the wind and three pairs of stones which are worked by a Steam Engine of 12 horse power that is driven by a boiler of 16 horse power. The machinery throughout is complete and in perfect working order.
The above Premises are remarkably well situate for Trade being in close proximity to the Haven and the Great Eastern Railway Co's Southtown Station. They are now in the occupation of Mr. William Parker and possession may be had at Michaelmas. They are leasehold for a term of 80 years from the 25 December 1812 at an annual rent of £20.
Apply to Mr. William Worship, Solr. or the Auctioneers, Great Yarmouth.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 3rd September 1870


On the north side of the Southtown Road after passing over the bridge . . . The first road through is called SAW MILL LANE because it leads to a Steam Saw Mill erected by Messrs. SAUL. Here also is a Steam Flour Mill belonging to Messrs. GAMBLING. The next to the right at the turn of the road is called MILL ROAD because on the west side of it stands a Tower Windmill, erected in 1813 by Mr. Woollsey. It is 120 feet in height to the top of the cap, has eleven stories and is capable of manufacturing 200 quarters of grain weekly . . .
Further north was another mill, the property of Mr. John WATERS which was burnt to the ground in 1850.

The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth, Charles John Palmer - 1875


c.1890
c.1890

1898
Remains of Greencap Mill after the fire in foreground with High Mill in the distance - 1898

Port scene near Haven Bridge c.1900
Port scene near Haven Bridge c.1900

c.1900 c.1900

c.1900
Reputedly Robert Albert Cook standing on the horizontal stock


1905 postcard 1905 postcard
1905 postcard and closeup of message detailing destruction of the mill (reverse of card featured the b&w photo above)

c.1906
Port scene near Haven Bridge postmarked 13th September 1906

By MADDISON, MILES & MADDISON
On Wednesday next
GREAT YARMOUTH . . .
Sale of very valuable Building Estates, Maltings & Rent Charges
MADDISON, MILES & MADDISON have received instructions owing to the death of B. H. Press Esq., to sell by Auction at the Star Hotel, Great Yarmouth, on Wednesday 24th August 1904 at 3 for 4 o'c in 12 Lots, the following
FREEHOLD PROPERTIES
particularly well worth the attention of Builders, Speculators, Maltsters and Investors.
Lot 1.
THE HIGH MILL ESTATE, containing about one & a half acres most conveniently situate within 5 minutes walk of the Southtown railway station, having frontages of about 236 feet to Mill Road, 73 feet 6 inches to High Mill Road, and 274 feet to Lady Haven Road.
Land Tax & Tithe redeemed.
Lots 4 & 5.
The BUILDING MATERIALS composing the late Residence of the deceased and the eleven storey brick tower Mill
Particulars with plans & Conditions of dale may be obtained of MESSRS> WORSHIP RISING & FREDERICK,
Great Yarmouth, Vendors' Solicitors, at the Estates Exchange, Tokenhouse Yard, London, E. C. or of the Auctioneers, 10 Regent Street, Great Yarmouth & Harleston, Norfolk. Stand No. 51 Corn Hall, Norwich.

Yarmouth Mercury - 20th August 1904


When the mill was demolished in 1904, the bricks used to build a whole row of terraced houses. The spot where the mill stood was then occupied by nos. 35 & 36, High Mill Terrace, Gatacre Road and is indicated by those two houses having red chimney pots, the others being of stone colour. The sails were taken to Roughton_Mill_Hill_towermill as that mill was also owned by the Press family.


At Southtown the noted High Mill of Press Bros. stood north of Love Lane, after Jas. Love, the blacksmith. Nos. 36 & 37 Gatacre Road are probably the centre of the High Mill site.
Local Wind-Mills, Yarmouth Mercury, H. B. Johnson - January 1928


Branford the miller had the High Mill in 1842. The firm became Branford & Palmer shortly after when the steam mill was added. In the '60s William Parker was owner and I believe the Press family were in possession before before 1870. Work ceased at this mill in 1898 . . . it was announced as for auction on August 24th 1904 following the death of Benjamin Howard Press (Mayor 1899). It was sold to W. W. Willimont for £100 at the Star Hotel by Mr. J. C. Miles and Gatacre Road off High Mill Road was made upon its site.
Yarmouth Windmill, H. B. Johnson


A Famous Windmill
A roadway used to run through the base of the mill, which allowed farmers' waggons laden with corn to be driven directly under the building, the corn being unloaded by a special type of hoisting gear from the centre of the mill.
Old Yarmouthian, Eastern Daily Press letter


Mr. A. J. Thrower, Great Yarmouth Millwright who worked on the High Mill (Southtown, Yarmouth) etc. told me in 1951, "The Sails from the High Mill were fitted to Roughton_Mill, so she must have been very powerful."
Foreward to article Press Family of Norfolk, Martin H. Press - 9th December 1969


Rex Wailes reported that the 4 ft. wheat stones were sent to Saxtead Green in Suffolk.


As a child in the 1950’s I was often shown the post card of the High Mill and told that the man standing on the cross arm was my grandfather, Robert Albert Cook, who eventually moved in to No.2 Gatacre Road which was reputedly with from bricks reclaimed from the demolition of the mill in 1905.
Laurie Cook - 23rd December 2015


I am amazed at your website and just sent links to a fellow in Australia who is a descendant of the Presses. 
I'm not related but interested to know if you have ever come across any reference to, or picture of  Arthur George Press (brother of the Press Brother's…Benjamin & Edward). 
He died at age 29 in 1900 and left a widow, Florence Lilley (Pye) Press and two children..

Trudy Ayotte - 27th October 2016


O.S. Map 1884
O.S. Map 1884
High Mill is just below the map centre
Courtesy of NLS map images

1812: Mill built for Thomas Woolsey for £10,000 driving 4 pairs of stones

25th December 1812: Mill leased to Thomas Woollsey for 80 years at a ground rent of £20 per annum

1830: Woollsey & Secker

1831: John Woollsey & John Secker, wine & spirit merchants, bankrupt

August 1831: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Poll Book 1832: Benjamin Thurtell, miller

1836: Richard Branford, miller

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

1839: Richard Branford, miller

1840: Richard Branford, miller

1842: Richard Branford, miller

July 1842: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1845: Branford & Palmer

c.1846: Steam engine driving an additional 3 pairs of stones was installed

1853: H. Gambling, miller

1853: Millwrights Smithdales undertook major repairs to mill sails

1853: James Hurry Palmer jnr., miller

1854: James Hurry Palmer jnr., miller

1854: Mill supplied flour to Lord Raglan's army in the Crimean War

1856: Edward Slipper, miller

1858: John Parker, miller

1863: William Parker, miller

1864: William Parker, miller

1865: William Parker, miller

1868: William Parker, miller

1870: Steam machinery underwent repairs

Poor Rate 1870: William Parker, owner & occupier

July 1870: Mill advertised for sale by auction

September 1870: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1872: William Parker, miller

1875: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

1878: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

1879: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

1881: Mill conveyed to Edward and Benjamin Howard Press

1883: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

O.S. map 1884: High Mill (Corn)

1888: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

O.S. map 1888: Windmill

1892: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

1892: Wholemeal flour production ceased being replaced by grist trade after the lease expired

1894: Mill damaged by a hurricane

1896: Press Bros., millers - also Greencap Mill

1898: Mill ceased production

1899: Benjamin Howard Press, miller & mayor of Gt. Yarmouth

1900: Press Brothers

1904: Benjamin Howard Press died

August 1904: Mill & mill house building materials advertised for sale by auction

1904: Mill sold for £100 to W. W. Willimont

11th July 1905: Mill demolition began and site became Nos. 35 & 36 High Mill Terrace, Gatacre Road



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 51880745
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004