Ludham
Boardman's
drainage mill
River Ant



May 1977
May 1977

Ludham Boardman's mill or drainage pump was built by Dan England of Ludham in the late 1800s and was named after Edward Boardman of the How Huill Estate. The open framed trestle structure with a small cap, patent sails and fantail was built with a scoopwheel that was later exchanged for a more efficient turbine. The structure is 30 feet tall overall, is Grade ll listed and looked after by The Norfolk Windmills Trust.

Ludham Boardman's mill or drainage pump was built by Dan England of Ludham in the late 1800s and was Trestle draining pump. Late C19. 4 timber cants stand on brick piers, cross braced. Weatherboarded cap, stocks and 4 sails. Fantail cage and blades. Curb track, worm gear and drive. Brakewheel and wallower. Iron upright drive shaft leads down to crown wheel driven through universal joint in turn engaging bevel wheel dropping to turbine pump. Pump set in brick well. Sluices and culvert intact.
British Listed Buildings - 2019


Only 3 open trestle windpumps are recorded in Norfolk - Ludham Boardman's, Fritton_St_Olaves and Horning_Hobb's.



O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Boardman's windpump top left; How Hill towermill bottom right
Courtesy of NLS map images

c.1883: Windpump built by Dan England of Ludham

O.S. map 1905:
Draining pump

1926: Scoopwheel exchanged for a Appold turbine

1938: Pump ceased working after considerable gale damage

1981: Renovation began, funded by the Norfolk Windmills Trust

2018: Pump complete with cap and non working sails


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 36941925
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019