Fritton
St Olaves
drainage mill
River Waveney



May 1975
May 1975

St Olaves drainage pump was built on the east bank of the River Waveney just to the north of St Olaves Priory as a small, open trestle pump with a scoopwheel. In 1928 weatherboarding was added to give the appearance of a smock tower, being a slender square weatherboarded section set over a concrete base.


St Olaves only came to be in Norfolk in 1974 due to a county border change.
St Olaves drainage pump is leased to the Norfolk Windmills Trust.


Only 3 open trestle windpumps are recorded in Norfolk - Fritton St Olaves; Horning_Hobb's and Ludham_Boardman's

21st January 2007
21st January 2007
Cap blown over and hanging

1910: Draining pump built by Dan England of Ludham as an open trestle structure

1928: Open trestle weather boarded to a smock design

1957: Pump ceased working as windpower was replaced by electricity

1975: Wooden tower with a flat sided boat shaped cap holding an iron windshaft and a fan cradle

1975: Structure under renovation

18th January 2007: Mill tailwinded in a gale and cap blown off to be later repaired

2008: Mill open to the public and is visible from the road and the river, being approached by a footpath from the bridge.


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM 45689971
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006