West Walton
Ingleborough
towermill


1928
1928

Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

West Walton Ingleborough towermill stood in the yard of Hill House Farm along with the house and several large farm buildings some one mile north of the village in the hamlet of Ingleborough. The mill was 8 storeys high and built of red brick in 1824. The mill was originally built with five sails but a sixth sail was added between 1846 and 1858. The anticlockwise sails each had 7 bays of 3 shutters. A bakehouse was also run from the site.


The mill had a white ogee cap with a ball finial, a gallery and a fantail. A stage was set around the fourth floor. In 1824 the sails were powering 3 pairs of French burr stones and one pair of Peak stones on the second floor and a cylinder. A bunting machine was being used in 1827.


1926 Working
1949 Derelict
8 floors
Dead curb
Fan drive:- Twin bevel reduction gear with the rack at the side inside

Sails:- Six single shuttered patents
Striking gear:- Spider particularly prominent and termed the "bull nose"
Brake wheel:- Iron, solid, iron teeth cast in segments bolted on.
Brake lever:- Iron
Stones:- 4 pairs
Half-sack Tattersall roller plant in mill.

Rex Wailes

c.1920
c.1920

To be Sold.
Lot 1.
Stukely House, Holbeach, Lincs.
Lot 2.
All that capital and new Tower Wind Corn Mill, called Ingleborough Mill, situate at West Walton, in the county of Norfolk. The mill contains eight floors, three pair of French stones and one pair of Grey stones, and all machinery for a flour mill. It has five self regulating sails, with flies and a gallery. The whole of the machinery is constructed on the most perfect principle. Also a bakehouse adjoining.
For particulars apply to Mr. Jarvis Palmer, the owner and occupier.
Stamford Mercury - 11th June 1824

CORN MILL
To be Sold by Auction Without Reserve by R. B. Hood
By Order of the Mortgagee
At the Vine Inn in Wisbeach on Saturday 8 September 1827 between the hours of 5 and 7 in the evening.
All that capital Freehold newly built Brick TOWER WIND CORN MILL with excellent Dwelling house, Bakehouse and convenient Cart sheds, stable and outbuildings adjoining and half an acre or thereabouts of Garden Ground lying under the same, desirably situated in West Walton in the county of Norfolk, about 9 miles from Lynn, 3½ from the Wisbeach or Nene River to which there is a right of road and carriageway and now in the occupation of Mr. Jarvis Palmer who will shew the Premises and give possession on the 11th day of October next. The Mill contains eight floors, three pair of French Stones, one pair of grey stones, a cylinder, bunting machine and every other requisite machinery constructed on the most improved principle. The great public works now carrying on at Sutton Wash and the River Nene in which many hundreds of persons will be employed for a considerable time render the above situation particularly desirable.
Half the Purchase Money may remain on security of the Premises and for further particulars apply at the office of Mr. Harvey in Holbeach.
Holbeach 27 August 1827.

Norfolk Chronicle - 1st & 8th September 1827

1926
1926 watercolour by J. Percival Chaplin

WEST WALTON
To Millers To be Let with Immediate Possession
All that capital TOWER WIND CORN MILL with five Patent Sails, eight floors and Fixtures complete and drives four pair of Stones, situate at West Walton in Norfolk and late in the occupation of Mr. Richard Towell deceased, who carried on an extensive business. Also a comfortable Dwelling house with Granary and Outbuildings.
Walton is about 3 miles from Wisbech and 12 from Lynn both excellent Corn Markets and Flour can be Shipped at Walton Dam distant about 2 miles from the Mill.
The Tenant may be accommodated with about 30 acres of Land at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Charles Metcalf Esq. Solr. Wisbech, Mr. Edward Towell, Merchant, Lynn or Mr. Ransom, Solr. Holt.
Norfolk Chronicle - 8th April 1837

To Millers To be Sold or Let with Immediate Possession
A capital TOWER WIND CORN MILL, 8 stories high with 5 Patent Sails, Dressing Machine and Flour Mill situate at West Walton near Wisbech running 3 pair of French Stones and 1 pair of grey, well adapted in every respect for carrying on a very extensive wholesale and retail business. Also a comfortable Dwelling house with stable, large Granary and other requisite Outbuildings.
The tenant can be accommodated with a quantity of Land.
Apply to Charles Metcalf Jr. Esq. or to Mr. Sargison, Millwright, both of Wisbech, Mr. Edward Towell, Merchant, Lynn or Mr. Ransom, Solr. Holt.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th September 1837

30th June 1933
30th June 1933

WEST WALTON
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. Cross & Son at the Bowling Green Inn, Wisbech on Saturday 6 June 1846 at 5 o'c
The following very valuable Estate in West Walton
Lot 1.
A capital TOWER WIND MILL, eight stories high (now in full business) with five patent sails, driving three pair of French stones and one pair of grey stones, with all other necessary materials complete, situate about 3 miles from Wisbech and about 1
½ miles from the River Nene at Walton Dam, from whence Flour etc. may be sent to any part of the world. Also a good substantial Messuage (in two tenements), 2 Stables, Granary and Cart Sheds all newly and well built, adjoining the said gravel road to Wisbech; also 4 acres (more or less) of very superior fine rich old Pasture Land in Dixon Field ...
Possession of all Lots may be had on the 11th day of October next at which time the purchases are to be completed.
Apply to Mr. William Day, the tenant of the Mill etc. who will shew the same, at the office of Mr. Spurgeon of Kings Lynn, Solr. or to the Auctioneer, Corn Hill, Wisbech.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 30th May 1846

c.1933
c.1933

To be Let at West Walton near Wisbech
A Capital Six-Sail TOWER WINDMILL, driving four pairs of Stones with House, Bake Office and all requisite Outbuildings, in good repair and also 4 acres of old Pasture Land.
Possession immediate if required.
Apply to Mr. E. C. Cross,
West Walton, September 21, 1858

Norfolk Chronicle - 25th September & 9th October 1858

Mill from Hill House garden c.1935
Mill from Hill House garden c.1935

Download
Movie of mill working

Situations Vacant
To Millers
WANTED immediately, a Married Man as MILLER; one who understands the Baking preferred. Permanent employment for a steady Man who understands his business.
Address: William Rudd, West Walton, Wisbech.

Norfolk News - 4th November 1871

Mill from Hill House Farm c.1937
Mill from Hill House Farm c.1937

Situations Vacant
WANTED immediately a good MILLER, one who has a knowledge of the Baking preferred. No Sunday work. Must be a good stoneman.
Apply William Judd, West Walton, Wisbech.

Norfolk News - 10th January 1874

Situations Vacant
WANTED immediately a good MILLER. One having a knowledge of the Baking preferred. Must be a good stoneman. No Sunday work.
Apply to William Judd, West Walton, Wisbech.

Norfolk News - 21st February 1874

Mill from Hill House Farm c.1950
Mill from Hill House Farm c.1950

Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted immediately, a JOURNEYMAN who thoroughly understands his business. One with not much family preferred.
Apply to William Judd, West Walton, Wisbech.

Norfolk News - 11th September 1875

Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
WANTED immediately, a MILLER who thoroughly understands his business. One with a knowledge of Baking preferred.
Address W. Judd, West Walton, Wisbech.

Norfolk News - 23rd October 1875

Mill from road c.1954
Mill from road c.1954

WANTED, a respectable steady young man to assist in Milling and Baking Business and make himself generally useful. None but a willing hand need apply.
W. Judd, Ingleborough Mill, west Walton, Wisbech.

Lynn Advertiser - 7th August 1886

16th May 1981
16th May 1981

William Judd, West Walton, miller and farmer. Receiving Order February 25.
The Miller - 7th March 1892

... Ingleborough tower mill, which has six sweeps and is both a stone and roller mill. There are four pairs of stones, wind driven, and on the second floor a one-sack Tattersall mill driven by an oil engine. This plant can be driven by wind power.
S. P. B. Mais, England of Windmills - 1931

1964
1964

1995
1995

c.2007
c.2007


O.S. map 1824: Windmill

1824: Jarvis Palmer, owner & occupier

11th June 1824: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1827: Jarvis Palmer, miller

September 1827: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1836: Richard Towell, corn miller

1837: Richard Towell died

April 1837: Mill advertised for let

September 1837: Mill advertised for sale or let

White's 1845: Edward Scott, corn miller

1846: William Day, tenant miller

May 1846: Mill with five sails advertised for sale by auction

1846: Mill with six sails advertised to be let

1853: Edward Scott, miller

White's 1854: Walter Goddard, corn miller

1863: William Judd, miller

White's 1864: William Judd, corn miller

1865: William Judd, miller

1868: William Judd, miller

1871: William Judd, miller

1872: William Judd, miller

1874: William Judd, miller

1875: William Judd, miller

1878: William Judd, miller

Kelly's 1879: William Judd, miller & baker, Ingleborough

White's 1883: William Judd, corn miller, baker, farmer & landowner

1886: William Judd, miller

1888: William Judd, miller

O.S. map 1889: Windmill

White's 1890: William Judd, corn miller, baker, farmer & landowner

1892: William Judd, miller & farmer

Kelly's 1896: Henry Fretwell, (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1900: Henry Fretwell, (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1904: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind & steam) Ingleborough mill

Kelly's 1908: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind & steam) & baker, Ingleborough mill

22nd February 1908: Mill damaged in a gale

Kelly's 1912: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind & steam) Ingleborough mill

Kelly's 1916: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind & steam) Ingleborough mill

Kelly's 1922: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind & steam) Ingleborough mill

Kelly's 1925: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind & steam) Ingleborough mill

1925: Photo showing mill with 4 sails

1926: Painting of mill with 6 sails

1928: Photo of mill with 6 sails

Kelly's 1929: Henry Fretwell, corn miller (wind) Ingleborough mill

1931: Mill working with six sails along with a one-sack Tattersall driven by an oil engine on 2nd floor

1932: Henry Fretwell retired

1932: Mill bought by George E. Carfoot

Karl Wood painting 1933: Mill working with 6 sails

Kelly's 1937: George E. Garfoot, corn miller (wind) Walpole St. Andrew 212

c.1940: Sails removed

1944: Henry Fretwell died

1949: Mill derelict

O.S. map 1955: Windmill

1972: Brick tower with flat roof and railings round curb. Mill working with modern machinery.

O.S. map 1974: Windmill

1980: Mill becoming derelict. The flat roofed tower part of the site still milling with modern machinery

January 2012: Mill complex advertised for sale with Fine & Country for £625,000



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF47391499
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005