Sculthorpe
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Sculthorpe tower mill was a six storey mill that stood to the southwest corner of the village and showed up clearly on the 1838 1" O.S. map. It was situated in a yard off Moor Lane next to Shrublands. It was said that Chapel Lane was renamed from Jodrell's Drift and that the original name was Mill Lane. The mill was built with four sails to drive 2 pairs of stones but by 1882 an additional pair of sails had been added to drive 6 pairs of 4ft. 4ins. French burr stones. Later and by 1882 two steam engines were also being used for auxiliary power.

The other known six sail mills in Norfolk were at: Ringstead, Terrington St Clement Balsam Fields,
Terrington St Clement Orange Farm, Walsoken West Walton Highway and West Walton Ingleborough.


Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1839
Map - R. J. Wright, Norwich, 1838
Owner: Daniel Thompson
Occupier: John Seals

No. 184

Windmill

 

0a. 0r. 14p.

 


To Millers
To be Let with Possession at Michaelmas next or Immediately A TOWER WINDMILL nearly new with Patent Sails, two pair of Stones and Flour Mill complete, situate within 2 miles of Fakenham and very eligibly for a person of small capital.
Apply to Mr. Spice, Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 19th September 1840

To Millers
To be Let with Possession in January or at any time before Lady Day A TOWER WINDMILL nearly new with patent sails, two pair of stones and flour mill complete, now in full trade, situate within 2 miles of Fakenham and very eligibly for a person of small capital.
Apply to Mr. Spice, Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 12th December 1840

To Millers
To Let
A TOWER WINDMILL in full trade situate within two miles of the Market Town of Fakenham.
Possession may be had immediately.
Apply to Mr. Spice, Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st January 1842

Situation Vacant
To Journeymen Millers
WANTED, an experienced STONEMAN. A married man preferred.
Apply to Mr. Hordley, Sculthorpe, Fakenham.
Norfolk News - 1st March 1873

Smithdale's Day Book 1878 - 1880

1879
Aug. 18
Mr. HORSLEY, Sculthorpe
1 pair of brasses 9 lb.

SCULTHORPE, Norfolk
Messrs. IRELANDS are favoured with instructions from the Executors of the late Mr. John Martin, to prepare for Sale by Auction in One Lot at the Crown Hotel, Fakenham on Thursday August 10, 1882 at 3 for 4 o'c
A valuable Freehold MILL PROPERTY with a Residence attached, situate at Sculthorpe, consisting of a substantially built Tower Windmill, with 6 pair of 4 ft. 4 in. French Burr Millstones, Flour Dressing Mills etc., Brick and Tiled Engine house with large Shaft; two first class STEAM ENGINES by eminent makers (one 12 and the other 8 horse power) with boilers and other fittings; a Brick and Tile Cottage, Riding and Cart Stables, Hay loft, Harness house, Gig house, Waggon shed etc. adjoining a large and convenient yard. Also a capital Brick and Tiled RESIDENCE ... together with a well stocked Garden now in the occupation of Mr. H. E. Martin.
Particulars of M. B. Bircham, Esq. solr. Fakenham and of the Auctioneer, Guestwick, Wood Dalling and Bank Plain, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd & 29th July 1882 & Lynn Advertiser 29th July 1882

On Thursday next
SCULTHORPE, Norfolk
Messrs. IRELANDS are favoured with instructions from the Executors of the late Mr. John Martin, to prepare for Sale by Auction in One Lot at the Crown Hotel, Fakenham on Thursday August 10, 1882 at 3 for 4 o'c the undermentioned valuable PROPERTY, in One Lot, viz.
A substantially built TOWER WINDMILL with six patent sails, six floors, six pairs of 4 ft. 4 in. French burr millstones, two flour dressing mills, bone crusher, hoisting tackle, chain and other fixtures, spacious corn, meal and bone chambers, store sheds and granaries, brick and tile engine and boiler houses, chimney shaft; two first class STEAM ENGINES by eminent makers (one 12 horse and the other 8 horse power) with boilers and other fittings; two good wells and two water tanks; a Brick and Tile COTTAGE, riding stables with two loose boxes, cart stable for four horses, spacious hay loft, harness house, gig house and waggon shed, fowl houses and piggeries adjoining a large and convenient yard.
Also a capital Brick and Tiled RESIDENCE ... together with a neatly kept Garden well stocked with choice young Fruit Trees, containing altogether 0a. 2r. 9p. now in the occupation of Mr. H. E. Martin.
Immediate possession can be had if desired.
Outgoings Land Tax
Tithe Rent Charge
£1. 10. 4d
1. 0d
The above property is Freehold and is adjacent to the estate of the Marquis of Townshend on the North, Sir Willoughby Jones on the east, Sir E. Jodrell on the south and the highway road leading to Barsham on the west.
Particulars of Mr. M. B. Bircham, Solr. Fakenham and of the Auctioneers Guestwick, Wood Dalling and 5 Bank Plain, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle & Lynn Advertiser - 5th August 1882

After John Martin died in 1882, the mill was put up for auction, although it is unclear if it was the ownership or the lease that was for sale. The sale details described a flourishing business with the mill containing French burr stones, a flour mill, a bone crusher and two steam engines.

The mill did not appear on the 1890 O.S. map and may have ceased working by that date. It was not long before the sails and cap were removed and the tower had been demolished within a few years. The stables, which survived as residential accommodation bear the date of 1649 carved into the brickwork.

The site appears to be about 145 yards from the corner of the village main street on the east side of the road towards the church. A house with brick and tile granary buildings to the rear.
Harry Apling - 20th May 1975

White's 1854: Joseph Fyson, corn miller and maltster

White's 1864: John Williamson, baker

White's 1864: Joseph Fyson, corn miller

White's 1836: John Williamson, miller & baker

O.S. map 1838: Mill

1839: John Williamson, miller

Tithe Award 1839: Owner: Daniel Thompson; Occupier: John Seals

September 1840: Mill advertised to be let and described as
nearly new

Tithe Award 1839: Daniel Thompson, owner; John Seals, miller

January 1842: Mill advertised to be let

White's 1845: Thomas Barker, miller, baker & shopkeeper

1846: Thomas Eagle, miller

1850: Thomas Eagle, miller

1853: Mrs. Sarah Eagle, miller

Kelly's 1854: Sarah Eagle, corn miller

1858: Mrs. Sarah Eagle, miller

White's 1864: John Martin snr, corn miller; house
Barmer

Poor Rate Book 1866: John Martin snr, miller

c.1873: Charles Horsley, tenant of Grove Farm, took on mill lease (also Sculthorpe watermill)

Kelly's 1879: Harry Martin, miller

1882: Mill running with 6 sails powering 6 pairs of 4ft 4ins stones and a bone crusher

1882: John Martin died and mill subsequently sold by auction at the Crown in Fakenham

1882: H. E. Martin, miller

July 1882: Mill & house advertised for sale by auction

c.1900: Mill had ceased working and the cap and sails had been removed



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF89723100
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006