Terrington St Clement
Orange Farm
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Terrington St Clement tower mill at Orange Farm, South Green on the Sutton Road was built c.1816 with 5 sails and was still running with all 5 in 1854. Later, the tower was raised two storeys to 65 feet and uprated to run with 6 sails, each with 7 bays of 3 shutters, thus becoming one of only six mills in Norfolk to possess 6 sails. The horizontally boarded ogee cap had a petticoat, gallery, was atopped by a ball finial and held a 6 bladed fan. The six double shuttered sails drove 3 pairs of stones - 1 pair of 4 ft. French burr stones, 1 pair of 3 ft. 6 ins. French burr stones and 1 pair of 4 ft. Peak stones. A boulter for flour dressing and an oat crusher were also in use. All the stones were overdriven and the tower had a stage set around the 2nd floor.


The other known six sail mills in Norfolk were at: Sculthorpe, Ringstead, Terrington_St_Clement_Balsam_Fields, Walsoken West Walton Highway and West Walton Ingleborough.


ORANGE FARM

near the west end of the village, is now the residence and property of Mr. Wm. Whisler. It belonged to the late Lord William Bentinck, who purchased the estate in 1816, of Baron Feagle, a German refugee, who entertained the Prince of Orange here when the French had invaded Holland, from which circumstances the house obtianed its present name. The wind-mill, which stands near the house, was erected by the Baron, after the German fashion.
White's Directory - 1845

Orange Farm Mill, Sutton Road, Terrington St. Clement, King's Lynn

Brick Tower Mill, oroginally five sails, then raised 2 storeys and fitted with six sails.
Date (not known definitely by writer) 1713?
Built by Baron Feigle (a Dutchman) it is recorded that he entertained William of Orange at the adjacent Mill House, hence the name Orange Farm.
The Mill ceased working in 1910, and trhe tower was finally demolished in the 1920s.
The brick structure was 65' 0" high.
The cap was of the ogee type (typical of Lincolnshire near by), cross boarded, with gallery around and petticoat.
Fan tail gear, with a six flyer fan.
The sails were double sided, patent sided, the whips were 30' 0" long, and the diameter tip to tip about 62' 0". The shades being wood, backed with iron frame and covered with canvas.
The windshaft was cast iron and the brake wheel, wood with iron gear segments, the 'Wallower' was also iron.
The curb was cast iron with rack on the outer top, with pinion driven from the fan gear.
The walls were 3' 0" thick at the bottom, reducing to 13½" at the top.
The bottom stage was at 3rd floor level, all timber construction.
There were 3 pairs of stones on the 2nd floor, 2 pairs being 4' 0" dia. and 1 pair 3' 6" dia. one large pair beiong Derbyshire peaks, the others French burrs. The stones were over driven by stone nuts, and the cases were octagonal in timber.
One boulter for flour dressing.
One oat crusher.
The two storied steam mill
attached contained 2 pairs of 3' 6" dia. peak stones on a hurst erected by the well known millwright, Gothard Kidd, of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.
It wa soriginally powered by a steam engine, and latterly by an oil engine.
The last three millers known were:-
Arthur Walker
- Colliver
Robert Fordham up to the date it ceased to operate.
Philip Unwin - July 1973
 

Re date "1713?" given for building:-
William VI Prince of Orange, Stadholder of Republic of United Provinces.
In January 1795 the French Revolutionaries who had declared war on the Stadholder in 1795 invaded the Republic.
When Napoleon was defeated at Leipzig October 1813 Prince of Orange returned from exile as King William I of the Netherlands.
Lord William Cavendish Bentinck, 1774-1838, second son of third Duke of Portland, soldier, Governor-General of India, home in Britain, unemployed, 1815 to 1828.
He bought Orange Farm in 1816 from Baron Fagel (Faegel, Feagle, Feigle) a Netherlands refugee who had entertained the Prince of Orange there.
Mill built by Baron Fagel "after the German (Dutch?) fashion".
Even if Baron Fagel was 100 then he could not have built the mill in 1713!
Harry Apling - c.1980


To be Sold by Private Contract By Messrs. Driver
Freehold Cottage Ornee and a most desirable Farm at Terrington, Norfolk ORANGE FARM with an elegant Cottage Ornee and very superior agricultural buildings of every description in excellent repair, constructed upon the most approves and substantial manner, with a valuable corn mill and threshing mill; another convenient dwelling house and six cottages, together with about 190 acres of remarkably rich arable land in the highest state of cultivation, having been in the occupation of the proprietor who has spared no expence to render the same complete. This property is most eligibly situate at Terrington in the county of Norfolk, about four miles from Lynn and ten from Wisbeach and is particularly adapted for any gentleman desirous of becoming an agriculturalist or extremely eligible as an investment.
Printed particulars may be had at the Rose & Crown, Wisbeach, Dukes Head, Lynn, Sun, Cambridge, Auction Mart and of Messrs. Driver, Surveyors & Land Agents at their Offices, No. 13, New Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, where a plan of the Estate may be seen.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th & 22nd August & 5th September 1818


Freehold Cottage Ornee and a most desirable Farm at Terrington, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction By Messrs. Driver At the Auction Mart On Friday July 16 at 12 o'c in one Lot
ORANGE FARM with an elegant Cottage Ornee and very superior agricultural buildings of every description in excellent repair, constructed upon the most approves and substantial manner, with a valuable corn mill and threshing mill; another convenient dwelling house and six cottages, together with about 190 acres of remarkably rich arable land in the highest state of cultivation, having been in the occupation of the proprietor who has spared no expence to render the same complete. This property is most eligibly situate at Terrington in the county of Norfolk, about four miles from Lynn and ten from Wisbeach and is particularly adapted for any gentleman desirous of becoming an agriculturalist or extremely eligible as an investment.
Printed particulars may be had at the Rose & Crown, Wisbeach, Dukes Head, Lynn, Sun, Cambridge, Auction Mart and of Messrs. Driver, Surveyors & Land Agents at their Offices, No. 13, New Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, where a plan of the Estate may be seen.
Norfolk Chronicle - 19th June 1819


To Millers
WANTED at Michaelmas
A SINGLE MAN as MILLER who can strongly recommended from his late employer.
Apply personally to Mr. Whisler, Terrington St. Clement, near Lynn, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 19th September 1840


Tithe map 1841 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1841 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1841
Map 1841
Owner: William Whisler
Occupier: do

894
895

Southcroft Field,
do

Pasture & Mill
.
parts of
Tithe Vicar
Appr.

2a. 3r. 12p.
10a. 1r. 6p.
185a. 2r. 18p.
£5. 3. 8
£61. - 3d.

£1. 12. 6 (Vicar)
£2. 11. 6 (Vicar)

N.B. Buildings (& Mill?) on 895 - appears to have the numbers reversed


TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT Orange Farm.
Property of Wm. Whisler
Villa residence etc. 186a. 2r. 34p.
Also a small farm house with stable adjoining, excellent Farm Buildings, FIVE SAIL MILL and cottages for labourers.
With possession ath Michaelmas next.
To be sold by Auction by Mumford & Casebow. Tuesday 30 May 1854 at Globe Inn, Kings Lynn at 4 o'c. in 13 lots.
This very desirable estate called the Orange Farm with genteel Villa Residence was formerly the
property of the late Lord William Bentinck and was purchased in 1816 of Baron Feagle a German refugee, who entertained the Prince of Orange here when the French had invaded Holland, from which circumstances the house obtained its present name. The wind-mill, which stands near the house, was erected by the Baron, after the German fashion.
Apply to Wm. Wisler on the premises,
others
or the Auctioneer, Downham Market.
Norfolk Chronicle - 20th May 1854

WANTED immediately, a steady active Single MAN, one with a knowledge of the Baking preferred. A reference to character required.
Apply D. Clifton, Terrington, Lynn.
Norfolk News - 7th January 1860


To Millers
WANTED, a Steady Single Man of good character. A knowledge of the baking required.
Apply D. Clifton, Terrington, Lynn.
Norfolk News - 25th October 1862


Situatioins Vacant
To Millers & Bakers
WANTED, a YOUNG MAN of good Character as ASSISTANT in the above business.
Apply D. Clifton, Terrington, Lynn.
Norfolk News - 16th December 1865


Situation Vacant
To Millers
WANTED immediately, a steady active Man to work a WINDMILL.
One with a knowledge of the baking preferred.
Apply D. Clifton, Terrington, Lynn.
Norfolk News - 31st October 1868


Wanted, a Miller and Baker immediately, Married man with no encumbrance and must well understand his business.
Apply to Walker, Miller, Terrington.
Lynn Advertiser - 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th April, 6th & 13th May 1871


TO MILLERS
Wanted, a steady respectable man in the above capacity. Apply personally on Tuesday next at Dawson's Livery Stables, Lynn, between the hours of 5 and 6 by letter directed to Orange Farm, Terrington.
Lynn Advertiser - 5th September 1874


To Let
All that well built, genteel and commodious RESIDENCE known as Orange Farm House ...
Apply Jas. Walker, jun. Kenwick Hall, Tilney All Saints.
Lynn Advertiser - 10th & 17th April 1880


WANTED, a man to work a brick tower wind mill; must be a good stone man and good character required.
Apply to Arthur Walker, Terrington Mills.
Lynn Advertiser - 30th October 1886


TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
To be SOLD or LET
With possession at Michaelmas next, the Orange Farm, containing 83 acres or thereabouts, now in the occupation of Mr. Harry Colliver. On the Farm is an excellent Residence, suitable farm buildings, labourer's cottage and a six-sail flour mill, to which a ten-horse power steam engine is attached. It is situated oin the main road to Lynn, Wisbech and Sutton Bridge and is 6 miles from the Market Town of Kings Lynn and 1 mile from Terrington Railway Station.
The land is for the most part suitable for fruit growing.
For permission to view and for further particulars apply to Mr. George Cockle, Hay Green, Terrington, Kings Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 12th July 1890


The fan on the mill occupied by Mr. R. Fordham was blown completely away, whilst the fan and sails on Mr. C. Peek's Mill also suffered.
Lynn Advertiser & Norfolk County Press - 30th March 1895

N.B. Damage caused by the gale of Sunday 24th March 1895

O.S. map 1951 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
O.S. map 1951 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

... at Terrington there is a lofty conical brick tower mill, with rotating cupola and fantail, standing sixty feet high, built in the Dutch style.
S. P.B. Mais, England of the Windmills - 1931

N.B. Mill demolished in the 1920s

... Terrington ... a conical brick tower some sixty feet high such as you may see by the wayside between Deflt and The Hague.
... the big windmill was built in the ... Dutch style; and the neighbouring farm is still known a Orange Farm, from the Prince of Orange having been entertained there while Holland was in the hands of the French.
R. T. Hopkins, Old Watermills and Windmills


White's 1854: John Kiddle, foreman miller (unknown mill)


c.1816: Mill built

August 1818: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

June 1819: Mill advertised for sale by auction

O. S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

White's 1836: Abd. Donaldson & Robert Miller, corn millers

1839: Abd. Donaldson, miller

1840: William Whisler, miller

Tithe Award 1841: Owner: William Whisler; Occupier: William Whisler

1846: Francis Whisler, miller

1850: John Neeps, miller

1853: John Neeps, miller

1854: William Whisler, miller
1854: George William Mills, miller

May 1854: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1854: George William Mills

1854; William Wisler, miller

May 1854: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1858: Daniel Clifton, miller

1860: Daniel Clifton, miller

1862: Daniel Clifton, miller

White's 1864: Daniel Clifton, corn miller

1865: Daniel Clifton, miller

1868: Daniel Clifton, miller

1871: James Walker, miller

1872: James Walker, miller

1875: Arthur Walker, miller

1878: Arthur Walker, miller

Kelly's 1879: James Walker jun., farmer & miller, Orange farm

White's 1883: Arthur Walker, grocer & corn miller

1886: Arthur Walker, miller

O.S. map 1889: Windmill

White's 1890: Harry Colliver, farmer & miller, Orange farm

July 1890: Mill advertised to be sold or let

Kelly's 1892: Robert Fordham, miller (wind & steam), farmer & corn merchant, Orange farm

Kelly's 1896: Robert Fordham, miller (wind & steam), farmer & corn merchant, Orange farm

Kelly's 1900: Robert Fordham, miller (wind & steam), farmer & corn & cake merchant, Orange farm

O. S. map 1904: Windmill

Kelly's 1904: Robert Fordham, miller (wind & steam), farmer & corn & cake merchant, Orange farm

1920: MIll demoilished



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF54081948
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011