Upwell
smockmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills



Upwell smockmill stood to the south of the village between Three Holes and Lot's Bridge on the east side of the Ely to Wisbech Road and a short distance to the west of Mudd's Farm. The mill, known as Middleton's Mill in the 1820s, had an 8 sided tower.


It is possible that the miller who intended to retire in 1820 after 40 years of running the mill, was by the name of Middleton although no records to confirm this have yet come to light.


UPWELL, Norfolk
A most desirable Estate To be Sold at Auction
(If not previously disposed of by Private Contract of which due notice will be given)
At the White Lion Inn, Upwell On Tuesday 19 December next Between the hours of 4 and 6 o'c in the Evening
Either together or in Lots as may be thought proper
A Messuage or Tenement with Barn, Stabling, Waggon Lodge and other Outbuildings.
A WIND CORN MILL, known by the name of MIDDLETON's MILL being one of the most substantial and capacious and best Mills in the Kingdom, situate within a mile of the town of Upwell and commanding the trade thereof as well as the greater part of Upwell Fen.
Also 45 acres of rich Grazing and Arable Land lying contiguous to the above.
The Proprietor for nearly 40 years carried on a most extensive business as a miller and merchant and now intends to retire.
The Homestead with the Mill are Copyhold of the Manor of Beaupre Hall and the 45 acres of Land is Freehold, part of the Land tax is redeemed and 30s. a year assessed on the remainder. If sold altogether half of the purchase money may remain on security of the premises.
If sold in Lots, the hand bills which are intended to be distributed will shew the particulars.
Further information on application to Mr. palmer, Solr. Upwell at whose office a Plan of the Estate may be seen.
Upwell, Wisbech, 13 November 1820.
Norfolk Chronicle - 2nd, 9th & 16th December 1820


The mill was damaged in the gale of 22nd February 1908 and may have ceased working at that time.
Many other mills in the area were also damaged, including:
... There were Two Tower Mills at Terrington_St_Clements and they Both had the Top Blown off in the same storm and one at Tilney St. Lawrence, one at Terrington_St._Johns. I don't remember what happened to that, it was put out of order, one at Walpole_Highway, one at Walton Bank, one at West_Walton,one at Denver, one at Emneth that was burnt, one at Watlington, one at Three Holes, one at Wisbech, (one at Manea owned by my Uncle) all these were in working order before that storm. Only Father's Mill was a POST MILL.
Letter from F. W. Stacey, Starston, Nr. Harleston to Harry Apling - 6th August 1973


Map 1925
Map - 1925

Unallocated Upwell millers

White's 1836: Robert Southwell, corn miller, - Isle of Ely

White's 1845: J. Chenery, corn miller
White's 1845: James Clark, corn miller
White's 1845: William Richard, corn miller
White's 1845: Henry Roper, corn miller
White's 1845: Frederick Smith, corn miller

Kelly's Cambs. 1854: Thomas Tombleson Berry, miller
Kelly's Cambs. 1854: John Boyfield, miller
Kelly's Cambs. 1854: John Drake, miller
Kelly's Cambs. 1854: John Roper, miller
Kelly's Cambs. 1854: Mrs. Ann Southwell, miller
Kelly's Cambs. 1854: John Southwell, miller
Kelly's Cambs. 1854: James Webber, millwright & carpenter


White's 1854: John Bayfield, corn miller - Isle of Ely
White's 1854: Edward Berry, corn miller - Isle of Ely
White's 1854: John Drake, corn miller - Isle of Ely
White's 1854: Ann Southwell, corn miller
White's 1854: John Southwell, corn miller - Isle of Ely
White's 1854: Edward Wanby, corn miller - Isle of Ely

White's 1864: John Drake, corn miller - Isle of Ely
White's 1864: Walter Goddard, corn miller
White's 1864: John Southwell, corn miller - Isle of Ely

Kelly's 1879: John Southwell, farmer

Kelly's 1892: Joseph Webber, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Joseph Webb, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1912: John Thomas Forth, farmer Three Holes

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

December 1820: Middleton's Mill advertised for sale by auction as owner of 40 years intending to retire

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Wells' map 1829: Windmill

1868: ? Forth, miller

1872: ? Forth, miller

1875: Michael Forth, miller

Kelly's 1879: Marshall Forth, miller

White's 1883: Marshall Forth, corn miller, Lot's bridge

O.S. map 1886: Windmill

1888: Marshall Forth, miller

White's 1890: Marshall Forth, corn miller, Lot's bridge

Kelly's 1892: Thomas Forth, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Thomas Forth, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: John Thomas Forth, miller (wind) Three Holes

Kelly's 1904: John Thomas Forth, miller (wind) & farmer Three Holes

Kelly's 1904: John Thomas Forth, miller (wind) & farmer Three Holes

22nd February 1908: Mill damaged in heavy gale and may have ceased working

1926: Stump of mill remaining

Karl Wood painting 1933: Roofed stump of mill remaining



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL5118 9917
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011