Terrington St John
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Terrington St John tower mill stood on the south side of the village and used two pairs of patent sails to power 2 pairs of French burr stones, 1 pair of Peak stones, a screen and a flour mill. By 1898 the mill also had an 8 h.p. oil engine and a steam engine as two forms of auxiliary power. The oil engine could power all 3 pairs of stones, while wind wind power or steam power were each able to run some of the machinery.


1826
1826 map as redrawn by Harry Apling - mill is to west of Five Mile Bank drain
with Tilney St Lawrence towermill to its east and
Tilney St Lawrence postmill adjacent to the Buck Inn

TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
To Millers & Bakers
To be Let for a term of years from New Lady Day 1849
All that substantial and well built WIND CORN MILL (now in good trade) with patent Sails and Fantail, driving two pai
r of French Stones and one pair of Greys, including Gear Work, Dressing Machine and Flour Mill all in excellent condition. Also a good House with Baking offices, Stables, Granaries. Pigsties and every other suitable convenience, with a large Garden and Orchard well planted with Fruit Trees and about 6 acres of rich Pasture and Arable Land adjoining the same. The whole being situated in the populous village of Terrington St. John an equal distance between Lynn and Wisbech and surrounded by a highly respectable neighbourhood.
Apply to Mr. Robert T. Wright, the owner or Mr. John Egarr, both at Terrington St. John.
6 March 1849

Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 10th & 17th March 1849


TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
To Millers & Bakers
To be Let for a term of years from New Lady Day 1849
All that substantial and well built WIND CORN MILL (now in good trade) with patent Sails and Fantail, driving two pai
r of French Stones and one pair of Greys, including Gear Work, Dressing Machine and Flour Mill all in excellent condition. Also a good House with Baking offices, Stables, Granaries. Pigsties and every other suitable convenience, with a large Garden and Orchard well planted with Fruit Trees and about 6 acres of rich Pasture and Arable Land adjoining the same. The whole being situated in the populous village of Terrington St. John an equal distance between Lynn and Wisbech and surrounded by a highly respectable neighbourhood.
Apply to Mr. Robert J. Wright, the owner or Mr. John Egarr, both at Terrington St. John.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 29th September 1849


TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
To Millers & Bakers
To be Let for a term of years from New Lady Day 1849
All that substantial and well built WIND CORN MILL (now in good trade) with patent Sails and Fantail, driving two pai
r of French Stones and one pair of Greys, including Gear Work, Dressing Machine and Flour Mill all in excellent condition. Also a good House with Baking offices, Stables, Granaries. Pigsties and every other suitable convenience, with a large Garden and Orchard well planted with Fruit Trees and about 6 acres of rich Pasture and Arable Land adjoining the same. The whole being situated in the populous village of Terrington St. John an equal distance between Lynn and Wisbech and surrounded by a highly respectable neighbourhood.
Apply to Mr. Robert T. Wright, the owner or Mr. John Egarr, both at Terrington St. John.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 16th June 1850


To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Egarr at the King William Inn, Terrington St. Clement on Wednesday 27 July 1864 at 5 for 6 o'c In TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
Lot 4.
A
substantially built BRICK TOWER WINDMILL in excellent repair driving three pairs of stones, with dressing machines etc. and a well built Dwelling house adjoining containing six good rooms, with suitable Outbuildings, Bake house and oven, Granary, Stable and Gig house, Cart Hovel, pigsties, Yard and Garden planted with choice fruit trees, comprising altogether about 3 Roods of Land in the village of St. John.
Copyhold of the Manor of Terrington.
Apply to Mr. Pitcher, Solr.Lynn, the Auctioneer, St. Johns or at our office

PARTRIDGE & EDWARDS
Solrs. Lynn.
Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd July 1864

Valuable Estates at Terrington St. John & Terrington St. Clements, Norfolk.
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. CRUSO & SON
At the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn on Tuesday 23 May 1865 at 3 o'c in the afternoon for 4 precisely ...
In TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
Lot 8.
A Substantially built
Brick WINDMILL in excellent repair driving three pair of stones, with Dressing Machines etc. etc. and a well built DWELLING HOUSE adjoining containing six good room with suitable Outbuildings, Bakehouse, Oven, Granary, Stable, Gig House, Cart Hovell, Pigsties, Yard and Garden planted with choice fruit trees, containing altogether about 3 roods of land, in the village of St. John. Copyhold.
...
The Fine in the Manor of Terrington and Lovells is 4s. an acre and in Howards 5s. an acre.
The bulk of this Estate lying midway between Lyn and Wisbech and close to the turnpike road possesses ready access to the two largest markets in the district. ...
Possession may be had at Michaelmas next.
Application to Mr. Pitcher, Solr. Lynn, the Auctioneers or at our office

PARTRIDGE & EDWARDS
Solrs. Lynn.
May 1865
Lynn Advertiser & Norfolk News - 6th, 13th & 20th May 1865

To Millers
To be SOLD, a bargain, a pair of open French Stones, 4 ft. 6 in. well adapted for grist or barley work.
Apply J. Wilson, Terrington St. John's.
Lynn Advertiser - 20th November 1869


To Millers & Bakers
WANTED immediately, a young man in a tower mill with patent sails and fantail.
Apply to J. Wilson, Terrington St. John, Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 25th August 1877


TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
... two mills also lost several sails.
Lynn News & Norfolk County Press - 30th March 1895
N.B. Gale was 24th March 1895


To Millers, Merchants & Bakers
TERRINGTON ST. JOHN
Messrs. CRUSO & WILKIN
Have received instructions from Mr. John Wilson, the owner, to Sell by Auction at the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn, on Tuesday 26 July 1898 at 4 o'c precisely, a valuable brick TOWER WIND-MILL, with patent sails and fantail, driving three pairs of stones, with screen and flour mill, a powerful two
(amended on 1st July to 8) horse-power engine, capital residence, large bake office, oven with chamber over, ample stabling, barn, wagon loft, cart shed and all necessary outbuildings, standing on 1a. and 1r. of Land with garden and orchard, situate at Terrington Saint John, Norfolk.
The whole premises are in excellent repair, well situated, accessible to good roads and a large trade has for the past 29 years been carried on by the proprietor, who is relinquishing business.
Copyhold Manor of Terrington. Fine certain.
Further particulars in future papers and may be had on application to Mr. John Wilson on the premises; the Auctioneers; and at the office in Kings Lynn of

W. D. Ward,
Solicitor
Lynn Advertiser - 24th June & 1st July 1898

To Millers, Merchants & Bakers
Messrs. CRUSO & WILKIN
Have received instructions from Mr. John Wilson, the proprietor, to Sell by Public Auction at the Globe hotel, Kings Lynn on Tuesday 26 July 1898 at 4 o'c in the afternoon precisely, subject to conditions which will then be produces, the following VALUABLE PROPERTY.
A well built Brick TOWER WINDMILL, with patent sails and fantail, driving three pairs of stones, with screen and flour mill (a powerful eight horse power engine is attached) engine house, capital residence, large bake office and oven with chambers over, granary, stabling for 6 horses and 4 cows, large chaff and hayhouse, barn, piggeries, gighouse and wagon loft and all necessary outbuildings, standing in 1a. 1r. 0p. of ground with garden and orchard, situate in Terrington Saint John, distant ab0ut 7 miles from the market towns of Kings Lynn and Wisbech. All the machinery can be driven by the engine or partly by steam and partly by wind. There is good supply of hard and soft water.
The whole premises are in excellent repair, well situate, accessible to good roads and a large trade has for the past 29 years been carried on by the proprietor, who is relinquishing business.

Copyhold Manor of Terrington. Fine certain.
Further particulars may be had on application to Mr. John Wilson on the premises; the Auctioneers; or at the Office in Kings Lynn of

W. D. Ward,
Solicitor
Lynn Advertiser - 8th 15th, & 22nd July 1898

A VALUABLE PROPERTY to be SOLD or LET
A WELL BUILT Brick TOWER WINDMILL, with patent sails and fantail, driving three pairs of stones, with screen and flour mill (a powerful eight horse power engine is attached) engine house, capital residence, large bake office and oven with chambers over, granary, stabling for 6 horses and 4 cows, large chaff and hayhouse, barn, piggeries, gighouse and wagon loft and all necessary outbuildings, standing in 1a. 1r. 0p. of ground with garden and orchard, situate in Terrington Saint John, distant ab0ut 7 miles from the market towns of Kings Lynn and Wisbech. All the machinery can be driven by the engine or partly by steam and partly by wind. There is good supply of hard and soft water.
The whole premises are in excellent repair, well situate, accessible to good roads and a large trade has for the past 29 years been carried on by the proprietor, who is relinquishing business.

Copyhold Manor of Terrington. Fine certain.
Further particulars may be had on application to Mr. John Wilson on the premises; the Auctioneers; or at the Office in Kings Lynn of
W. D. Ward,
Solicitor
Lynn Advertiser - 8th 15th, & 22nd July 1898

A VALUABLE PROPERTY TO BE
SOLD OR LET

A WELL BUILT Brick TOWER WIND-MILL, with patent sails and fantail, driving three pairs of stones, with screen and flour mill, (a powerful eight-horse-power engine is attached,) engine-house, capital residence, large bake-office and oven with chambers over, granary, stabling for 6 horses and 4 cows, large chaff and hay house, barn, piggeries, gig-house, wagon loft, and all other necessary outbuildings, standing on 1a. 1r. 0p. of ground, with garden and orchard, situate in Terrington St. John, distant about 7 miles from the market towns of King’s Lynn and Wisbech. All the machinery can be driven by the engine, or partly by steam and partly by wind. There is a good supply of hard and soft water.
The whole premises are in excellent repair, well situated, accessible by good roads, and a large trade has for the past 29 years been carried on by the owner, Mr. John Wilson, who is relinquishing business. To whom apply.

Lynn Advertiser - 26th August 1898

A VALUABLE PROPERTY TO BE SOLD OR LET
To Millers, Merchants & Bakers
Messrs. CRUSO & WILKIN
Have received instructions from Mr. John Wilson, the proprietor, to Sell by Public Auction at the Globe hotel, Kings Lynn on Tuesday 26 July 1898 at 4 o'c in the afternoon precisely, subject to conditions which will then be produces, the following VALUABLE PROPERTY.
A WELL BUILT Brick TOWER WIND-MILL, with patent sails and fantail, driving three pairs of stones, with screen and flour mill (a powerful eight horse power engine is attached) engine house, capital residence, large bake office and oven with chambers over, granary, stabling for 6 horses and 4 cows, large chaff and hayhouse, barn, piggeries, gighouse and wagon loft and all necessary outbuildings, standing in 1a. 1r. 0p. of ground with garden and orchard, situate in Terrington Saint John, distant about 7 miles from the market towns of Kings Lynn and Wisbech. All the machinery can be driven by the engine or partly by steam and partly by wind. There is good supply of hard and soft water.
The whole premises are in excellent repair, well situate, accessible to good roads and a large trade has for the past 29 years been carried on by the owner, Mr. John Wilson, who is relinquishing business.

Copyhold Manor of Terrington. Fine certain.
Further particulars may be had on application to Mr. John Wilson on the premises; the Auctioneers; or at the Office in Kings Lynn of

W. D. Ward,
Solicitor
Lynn Advertiser - 21st July - 1st September 1899

TERRINGTON ST. JOHN (The Mill)
Messrs. Maxey & Son
Are favoured with instructions from Mr. JOHN WILSON, who is retiring from business to Sell by Auction on Friday October 20, 1899 the
LIVE & DEAD STOCK
and other Effects
Comprising 5 excellent working horses ... MILLING UTENSILS, carriages and gears, including wagon, Scotch cart with raves ... together with a portion of the HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE.
Sale to commence at 12.30 o'c.
Lynn Advertiser - 13th October 1899


TERRINGTON ST. JOHN WIND & STEAM FLOUR MILLS
JOHN WILSON
Begs to thank his customers for their kind support during the 34 years he has been in business and wishes to inform them that he has retired and disposed of the business to Mr. A. K. LONGBOTTOM, who he feels sure will merit a continuance of their support.

-----
TERRINGTON ST. JOHN WIND & STEAM FLOUR MILLS
A. K. LONGBOTTOM
Having taken over the business of Mr. J. Wilson begs to inform all customers that he will have great pleasure in serving them and by close attention to business hopes to receive a continuance of the patronage which has been enjoyed by his predecessor.
October 11. 1899
Lynn Advertiser - 13th & 20th October 1899

Lynn Advertiser 30th August 1912

On 23rd July 1973 Mrs. Pansy Ellen Purse wrote to Harry Apling to say that there was now a lawn where the mill once was but the bakehouse, stable and hay loft were still standing.


c.1980, Harry Apling quoted that:
There were two mills some distance apart, one with clockwise sails and on with anticlockwise. Both purchased by the late Henry (Herbert?) Cooper of Walpole Highway and dismantled, to use his own words, "To draw the trade to the Walpole Mill".


O.S. map 1824: Windmill

White's 1845: Robert Say, baker & miller

1846: Robert Say, baker & miller

1849: Robert T. Wright, owner

March 1849: Mill advertised to be let

1850: Robert T. Wright, owner

June 1850: Mill advertised to be let

1850: J. March Ratcliffe, miller

White's 1854: J. March Ratcliffe, corn miller

Kelly's 1854: J. Ratcliffe, miller

1856: J. March Ratcliffe, miller

1858: Frederick Berridge Wright, miller

1863: Frederick Berridge Wright & Robert Tilson Wright, millers

White's 1864: Frederick Berridge Wright, corn miller

1865: Frederick Berridge Wright & Robert Tilson Wright, millers

May 1865: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1865: John Wilson took over the mill

1868: David Carbutt, miller

1869: David Carbutt, miller

1877: John Wilson, miller & baker

Kelly's 1879: John Wilson, miller

White's 1883: John Wilson, corn miller & baker

O.S. map 1889: Windmill

White's 1890: John Wilson, corn miller & baker

Census 1891: John Wilson (58) miller, baker & farmer
Dean Wilson, assistant
John Wilson jnr (14) scholar

Kelly's 1892: John Wilson, miller (wind & steam)

24th March 1895: Mill damaged in a gale

Kelly's 1896: John Wilson, miller (wind & steam) & baker

1898: John Wilson, miller

June 1898: Mill advertised for sale by auction due to John Wilson retiring

August 1898: Mill advertised for sale or let due to John Wilson retiring

July 1899: Mill advertised for sale or let due to John Wilson retiring

1899: Albert Kirk Longbottom, miller

October 1899: Business & person effects of John Wilson advertised for sale by auction

Kelly's 1900: Albert Kirk Longbottom, miller (wind & steam)

Census 1901: Albert K. Longbottom (30) b.Tuxford, Notts, miller, & corn merchant
William Adcock (28) b.Yaxham, miller
John J. Egarr b.Terrington St John, miller's apprentice

Kelly's 1904: Albert Kirk Longbottom, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1908: John Wilson, miller (wind & steam)

Sunday 22nd February 1908: Mill damaged in a severe gale and "put out of order"

Kelly's 1912: John Wilson jnr, miller (wind & steam)

August 1912: Mill advertised for sale by private treaty. John Wilson to sell after 43 years

O.S. map 1914: Windmill

1973: Leonard & Pansy Ellen Purse, Mill House



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF53901415
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006