Tilney St. Lawrence
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Tilney St. Lawrence postmill stood near the Buck Inn. The red brick mill tower had staggered windows and the ogee cap had a gallery and a petticoat and at the top was a ball finial. Two pairs of French burr stones were powered by one pair of double shuttered and one pair of single shuttered patent sails. The sails were turned to wind by a six bladed fan.


1826
1826 map as redrawn by Harry Apling - mill is adjacent to the Buck Inn
with Tilney St Lawrence towermill to the east of Five Mile Bank drain
and Terrington St John towermill just to the west

To be SOLD by AUCTION At the Globe in Lynn on Tuesday 22 November 1774 at 3 o'c in the Afternoon
A MESSUAGE with a Wind Corn Mill and Appurtenances and Two Acres of good Pasture Land adjoining or near the same i Tilney St. Lawrence near Lynn, now in the occupation of John Bilton at £17 a Year on Lease, about a Year and a Half of which is unexpired.
The above is Freehold, hath an unlimited Right of Common in Marshland Smeeth (containing about 2000 Acres of rich Pasture Land) and pays 14s. yearly to the Land Tax.
Enquire of Mr. Thomas Case, Attorney at Lynn.
Norfolk Chronicle - 19th & 26th November 1774


Petition of Bankruptcy filed 5 June, 1854, against William Bennett, of Tilney Saint Lawrence, Co. of Norfolk, Miller. To surrender 15 June at the Court of Bankruptcy, Basinghall Street, London.
London Gazette - 9th June 1854


To be sold by Auction by C. C. Goddard at the Buck in Tilney Wednesday 28 June 1854 at 5 o'c.
By order of the Mortgagee
A good dwelling house with Baking Office and two large ovens, stables, cart lodge, granaries, piggeries and other outbuildings to the same belonging.
And Also an excellent Wind Corn Mill, well fitted with new stones and other necessary apparatus and 6a. (more or less) of arable and pasture land adjoining to the above late in the occupation of William Bennett. The buildings are in excellent repair and well situated for trade.
Apply JARVIS & SON, Solrs. Lynn.

Norfolk Chronicle - 17th & 24th June 1854


Notice of Withdrawal of Sale
Announced to take place on the 12th inst.
The Sale by Auction of a Mill, Bake house, land and Cottages in the occupation of Mr. Richard Southwell and others at Tilney St. Lawrence WILL NOT TAKE PLACE, the same having been sold by private treaty.

Stephen Gregory & Son
Auctioneers.
Tilney, 1 September 1898.
Lynn Advertiser - 2nd September 1898

Unallocated miller:

White's 1845: John Edge, corn miller & baker

1851: John Moulton, miller & baker

Census 1851: John Moulton (32) b.Elm, Cambs, master miller & baker
Jane Moulton (31) b.Maney, Cambs
Mathias Moulton (1) b.Upwell, Cambs,
Thomas Moulton (12) b.Emneth, miller's boy (nephew)
Address: Mill Hill

James Bloomfield (29) b.Wellingham, journeyman miller
Mary Bloomfield (23) b.Holm
Address: Lynn Road

1774: John Bilton, tenant miller paying £17 per annum

November 1774: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1853: William Bennett, miller

1854: William Bennett, miller

1854: William Bennett declared bankrupt

June 1854: Mill and bakery advertised for sale by auction

White's 1864: Richard Southwell, corn miller & baker
White's 1864: John Moulton, corn miller (possibly also this mill)

White's 1890: Richard Southwell, corn miller & baker

O.S. map 1890: Windmill

Kelly's 1892: Richard Southwell, miller (wind) & baker

Kelly's 1896: Richard Southwell, miller (wind) & baker

1898: Richard Southwell, miller & others

September 1898: Mill & bakery withdrawn from auction having been sold by private treaty

Kelly's 1900: Richard Southwell, miller (wind) & baker

Kelly's 1904: Richard Southwell, miller (wind) & baker



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF54721362
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011