Emneth towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

12th August 1935
12th August 1935

Emneth towermill was built at Gaultree in 1832 for William Forth. The mill used patent sails to power 2 pairs of French burr stones and 1 pair of Peak stones, a cylinder and a dressing machine.

Although steam power was used on the site in later years, it was in a separate building and the windmill was only ever worked by wind.

Tithe map 1844
Tithe map 1844 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Harry Apling added the school and house from the 1955 O.S. map and these relate to a case at Norwich Assizes on 31st March 1860.
It was said that miller claimed that the building of the new school house robbed him of his wind. Presumably this was the National School built in 1859. The miller at the time was Joseph Webb.

Tithe Award 1844
Owner: Forth, William & Wright, William
Occupiers: Themselves

No. 232

Cottages, Yards, etc.

Arable

1a. 0r. 30p.

7s.


To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Thomas Hodson at the Queens Head, Emneth in the County of Norfolk on Thursday the 18th October, 1863 at six for seven o'clock in the evening.
All that Freehold Brick Tower Corn Windmill with Patent Sails, 3 pairs Stones & other going gear complete, situate in the centre of Emneth Gaultree next the public highway & also that Dwelling House & Shop with bakehouse & oven, Stable & other Outbuiildings & all that newly erected Cottage near adjoining, together with about 30 acres of land & garden ground upon which the mill & house are built, situate at the Gaultree aforesaid next the highway south & west, the cottage & land of John Jenkinson north & the Queens Head east.
Wisbech, 21.9.1863 G. & F. M. Metcalf
Solrs. Wisbech
Wisbech Advertiser - 21st September 1863

To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Thomas Berry at the Public Hall, Wisbech on 24 September 1874 at 3 o'c in the afternoon precisely. Brick Tower & Wind Corn Mill with Patent Sails, 2 pairs French Stones & one pair grey stones, cylinder, Dressing machine & other going gear complete, situate in the middle of Emneth Gaultree next the public highway, & all that Dwelling House. The above premises are now in the occupation of Mr. Thomas King.
F. M. & F. Metcalfe

Wisbech Advertiser - 8th September 1874

Wanted immediately by a pork butcher, miller & baker, a Strong Lad as apprentice, not under 17.
Apply to Wm. Racey, Miller, Emneth, Wisbech.

Lynn Advertiser - 8th & 15th May 1875

It was said that miller claimed that the building of the new school house robbed him of his wind. Presumably this was the National School built in 1859. The miller at the time was Joseph Webb.

Kelly's directory of 1900 lists William Thomas Racey as baker, grocer & Post office with James Frederick Racey as having taken over the running of the mill.

A datestone case. In the
W. F.
1832
was originally set into the mill tower, but it was later removed and turned into a clock
1980s it was in the possession of Mrs. Thomas of the garage in Emneth.

1832: Mill built for William Forth snr

White's 1836: William Forth snr, corn miller & baker

White's 1845: William Forth, miller, baker & shopkeeper

1846: William Forth snr, miller

1853: William Forth jnr, miller

White's 1854: William Forth, corn miller & grocer

1858: Joseph Webb, miller also at Emneth smockmill

September 1863: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1864: Joseph Webb, corn miller also at Emneth smockmill

1865: Joseph Webb, corn miller also at Emneth smockmill

1868: Thomas Burton, miller & baker

1872: Thomas Burton, miller & baker

1874: Thomas King, miller

September 1874: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1875: William Racey, miller, baker & pork butcher

1878: William George Shepherd, miller

White's 1888: William George Shepherd, corn miller

Kelly's 1892: William George Shepherd, miller (wind)

1895: Mill tower heightened by one storey

Kelly's 1896: William Racey, baker, grocer, miller (wind), Post office

Kelly's 1900: James Frederick Racey, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1904: James Frederick Racey, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1908: James Frederick Racey, miller (wind & steam) & baker

Sunday 22nd February 1908: Mill damaged in a severe gale and caught fire

Kelly's 1912: James Frederick Racey, miller (wind & steam)

1912: Sails removed after a fire at the mill caused by a paraffin tank that was situated below the sails

Kelly's 1916: James Frederick Racey, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1922: James Frederick Racey, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1925: James Frederick Racey, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1929: James Frederick Racey & Sons, millers (steam). T. N. Wisbech 99

Kelly's 1933: James Frederick Racey & Sons, millers (steam)

Kelly's 1937: James Frederick Racey, miller (steam)

1947: Mill tower, still being used as a granary, was demolished

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF49550707
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007