Oulton
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Oulton post windmill stood on the common land just on the Oulton side of the parish boundary with Itteringham. The mill was built c.1780 and is shown on Faden's map of 1797. Records show that in the late 1700s Oulton postmill was worked in conjunction with Blickling_watermill, almost certainly by James Savory. A horse flour mill was also operated on the site.


To be Sold immediately, at Oulton, near Aylsham, an exceeding good and new-built Post Windmill, with a Horse Mill and Corn Chambers adjoining, well situated, and in good Trade. Enquire of the present Owner, Jonathan Baxter, at Oulton aforesaid.
Norfolk Chronicle - 16th & 30th September 1780


To be SOLD by AUCTION
By Edward Bliss from Holt
On Tuesday 30th Instant at the Black Boys in Aylsham, between the Hours of 3 and 4 in the Afternoon and entered upon immediately if desired.
An exceedingly good new-built Corn POST-MILL with a Horse Flour Mill thereto belonging, now in the use of Mr. William Bell, Blickling Mills, situated upon Oulton Common in the county of Norfolk.

Norfolk Chronicle - 20th November 1784


Faden's map 1797
Faden's map 1797

Oulton postmill is shown near the bottom left of centre on the map above. Itteringham watermill is below top centre and Blickling watermill just above right centre.


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

c.1780: Mill built

1780: James Baxter, miller

September 1780: Mill advertised for sale

1784: William Bell, miller (also at Blickling_watermill)

November 1784: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1795: James Savory, miller

Faden's map 1797


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG14802930
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005