Gaywood
Loke Road
postmill
(later)


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

The later Gaywood Loke Road postmill was working beside the roundhouse of the earlier_mill by 1822. This newer mill was also set on a roundhouse, which was two storeys high and possibly three. The patent sails, were turned to wind with a fantail and powered 2 pairs of 4 ft 4 ins French burr stones and a jumper.


After the earlier_milll ceased working the buck was dismantled and a horse mill was operated inside the roundhouse.


Tithe Award 1839
Owner: Corporation of Kings Lynn
Occupier: Stephen Walker

No. 535

Pasture, Mill House etc

Pasture

1a. 3r. 29p.

Pt. of £14. 15/-


To Millers & others
To be Let with immediate possession, situated in the Parish of Gaywood, Norfolk. A superior Post Windmill, nearly new and in excellent repair, with patent sails, containing three floors, driving two pair of French stones 4 ft. 4 ins. diameter, flour machine and jumper, iron windshaft, and winding tackle complete, a Round House containing three floors, with a Horse Mill in it for dressing flour.
For further particulars apply to Mr. Walker, Gaywood Mill, near Lynn.
Apply to Mr. Stephen Walker, at Gaywood.
Stamford Mercury - 25th August 1843


To Millers & others
To be Let with immediate Possession
Delightfully situate & within a few minutes walk of the ancient sea port of KING'S LYNN in the county of Norfolk.
A very superior POST MILL, nearly new & in a good state of repair, containing three floors, driving two pairs of French stones 4 ft. 4 ins. diameter, flour machine & jumper & iron wind shaft, also a roundhouse containing three floors with a horse mill in it for dressing flour.
Likewise a good Dwelling house ... yard in which is a granary having two floors, also a 2 stalled stable, cart lodge & piggeries & two good gardens with a piece of pasture land attached, the whole containing 2 acres more or less.
The Mill & premises are situate at G
aywood.
Apply to Mr. Stephen Walker, Gaywood, near Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th August 1843


To Millers & others
To be Let with immediate possession. A very superior Post Mill, nearly new, containing three floors, driving two pairs of French stones 4 ft. 4 ins. diameter, flour machine and jumper and iron windshaft, also a round house containing three floors with a horse mill in it for dressing flour. Also house and stable etc. The mill and premises are situated at Gaywood, near King's Lynn.
Apply to Mr. Stephen Walker, at Gaywood.
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th August 1843


Stephen Walker the Younger, late of Gaywood, Norfolk, out of business, previously a grazier and miller. A prisoner for debt in the Gaol of Norwich.
London Gazette - 3rd October 1843

Benjamin Nuthall also ran a bake office in Norfolk Street, Kings Lynn,


To Millers & others
GAYWOOD, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Horne on Tuesday 6 January 1846 at 6 for 7 o'c At the Spread Eagle Inn, Gaywood, unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract.
All that substantial WINDMILL with Machinery, Going Gear, Tackle, two pairs of French Stones, Patent Sails, Apparatus & Appurtenances with Flour Room, Dressing Machine attached.
Also ... Dwelling house ...
Outbuildings, Stables, Yard & Garden attached.
Also that Piece of Pasture Land containing 2 acres more or less, adjoining the above Premises.
The above Land including the ground on which the buildings are standing is holden under a Lease from the Corporation of Kings Lynn for a term of 14 years renewed in March 1842.
The Mill is in good working condition, winds herself & is well situated for trade. The Dwelling house & other Buildings are in good repair & the Outgoings are moderate.
Mr. Sands, the tenant, will show the premises.
Part of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage.
Apply to Mr. Smetham, Solr. Kings Lynn. 17 December 1845.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 20th & 27th December 1845 & 3rd January 1846

To Millers etc.
GAYWOOD, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Browne on Tuesday 24 July 1849 at 6 for 7 o'c at the Spread Eagle Inn in Gaywood aforesaid
(Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract)
All that substantial WINDMILL with machinery, going gear, tackle, two pairs of French stones, patent sails, apparatus & appurtenances with flour room & dressing machine attached.
Also all that Brick & Tiled Dwelling house with well arranged outbuildings & offices, stables, yard & garden attached.
Also all that Piece of Pasture Land containing 2 acres (more or less) adjoining the above premises.
The above Land including the ground on which the buildings are standing is holden under a Lease from the Corporation of Kings Lynn for a term of 14 years renewed in March 1842.
The Mill is in good working condition, winds itself & is well situated for trade.
The Dwelling house & other Buildings are in good repair & the Outgoings are moderate.

Apply to Mr. Smetham, Solr. Lynn.
Lynn, 13 June 1849
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 7th & 14th July 1849


Norfolk Chronicle - 18th & Saturday 25th February 1854


GAYWOOD
To Let, the MILL HOUSE, Gaywood, situate near the Water Works.
The House contains two large sitting rooms, five bedrooms, two kitchens, stables & gardens.
Apply to Mr. B. Nuthall, Norfolk Street, Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 11th September 1869


A Strong Active Young MAN, 18 to 20 years of age wanted as BAKER, one used to a horse & cart.
Apply to B. Nuthall, 36 Norfolk Street, Kings Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - May 1871


The Bankruptcy Act 1869
In the County Court of Norfolk holden at Kings Lynn
In the matter of Special Resolution
for liquidation by arrangement of the affairs of Benjamin Nuthall of Number 36, Norfolk Street in the County of Norfolk, Baker & Confectioner & of Gaywood in the said County, Miller.
William Briscoe Whall of Kings Lynn in the county of Norfolk, Accountant, appointed Trustee ...

Dated 29 January 1872 W. B. Whall, Trustee.
Lynn Advertiser - 3rd February 1872

KING'S LYNN & GAYWOOD
To Millers & others
To be Sold by Auction by Mr. William Miles at the Crown Hotel in Kings Lynn on Friday 23 February 1872 at 6 o'c by Order of the Mortgagee.
In Kings Lynn
LOT 1. Messuage or Tenement situate in Norfolk Street in Kings Lynn with Baking Office etc. Cottage & Yard late the property of Benjamin Nuthall deceased.
In Gaywood
LOT 2. All that Piece of Pasture LAND upon which is erected a convenient Messuage or Dwelling House with a Cottage a
djoining together with an excellent Post Windmill, Stable, Cart Lodge & suitable Outbuildings, the whole containing about Two Acres desirably situated next SALTER's ROAD in Gaywood, late in the occupation of Benjamin Nuthall, deceased.
Immediate possession may be had of the Mill & Land.
The Land is held under a lease granted by the Corporation of Kings Lynn for a term of 21 years from Michaelmas 1853 at the annual rent of £25. The House, Mill & Buildings are the absolute property of the Mortgagee & the Mill & Machinery are of the best description.
Apply to the Auctioneer or at my office, Norwich.

Lynn, 13 Feb 1872 L. W. Jarvis, Solr.
Norfolk Chronicle & Lynn Advertiser - 17th February 1872

Houses etc.
To Millers etc.
TO BE LET with Possession at Michaelmas next, that powerful POST WINDMILL
with Brick Round House situate in Salters Road, Gaywood, near Lynn Railway Station, with two pairs of Stones, patent sails, self-acting winding gear together with six-roomed cottage, stable, cart shed, piggery etc. Any business man may do here a large profitable trade.
Apply Mr. Squirrell, Gaywood, Kings Lynn.
Norfolk News - 10th & 17th May 1873


To Millers etc.
To be Let, that powerful POST WINDMILL
with Brick Roundhouse, situate in Salters Road, Gaywood, with two pairs of Stones, patent sails & self-acting winding gear together with six-roomed COTTAGE, stable, cartshed etc.
Apply Mr. Squirrell, Gaywood, Kings Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 7th June 1873


ROBERT CHAPMAN
(Formerly at EVERETT'S)
SALTERS ROADS MILL
GAYWOOD
Begs to thank his various customers, since taking the above Mill, for the many & increasing favours shewn him & to state that every order will have his personal & immediate attention, whether by post or otherwise.
Lynn Advertiser - 14th, 21st & 28th October & 4th November 1876


FOR SALE, a six-horse power Portable Engine in good condition.
Apply to J. Buckenham, Gaywood Mill, Kings Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 20th September 1884


To Millers
FOR SALE a powerful Chestnut Horse with nearly new harness & cart, the owner having no further use for them.
Apply to James Buckenham, Gaywood Mill.
Lynn Advertiser - 20th September 1884


GAYWOOD
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. Miles & son
At the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn o Thursday 3 May at 6 for 7 o'c in the evening (by direction of the Trustees under the Will of Henry F. Squirrell deceased), a convenient well built DWELLING HOUSE
with Out offices & Garden, pleasantly situated in Salters Road, Gaywood & lately occupied by Mr. Squirrell, with a Cottage adjoining in the occupation of Mr. Harbour.
A Corn Wind-Mill & 1a. 2r. 0p. (more or less) of pasture Land called the Mill Piece.
The land is held under a lease from the Corporation of Kings Lynn for a term expiring on 11 October next & renewable to the purchaser for 7 or 14 years at the rental of £20 per annum.
The Auctioneers desire to call special attention to this eligible property, it is pleasantly situated & outside the Borough Boundary.
Apply to the Auctioneers, Atheneum Chambers or at the office in Kings Lynn of

Mr. Ward, Solr.

Kings Lynn, 12 April 1888.

Lynn Advertiser - 21st & 28th April 1888

GAYWOOD
Leasehold Residence, Garden & Land
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. Miles & Son
At the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn on Thursday 1st August 1896 at 6 for 7 o'c in the even
ing, a well built & convenient
RESIDENCE
with outoffices & garden, pleasantly situated in Salters Road, Gaywood, occupied by Mr. William Robert Varley, with a capital COTTAGE adjoining late in the occupation of Mr. Harbour.
Also a CORN WINDMILL now used as a warehouse with 1a. 2r. 0p. of rich pasture land called the Mill Piece.
The land is held under a lease from the Corporation of Kings Lynn at a rent of £20 per annum.
For further particulars apply to the Auctioneers, Atheneum Chambers,
Kings Lynn or to Mr. EDWD. M. BELOE, New Conduit St., Kings Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 20th & 27th July 1895


Last month Messrs. Miles offered at auction a Windmill, with house etc. situated at Gaywood. The lot had to be withdrawn at £220.
The Miller - 2nd September 1895


O.S. map 1905
O.S. map 1905
- as redrawn by Harry Apling

On the other side of the Gaywood River to Homelands Mill stood a large Post Mill until about 1926.
Letter from H. V. Warnes to Philip Unwin - 2nd December 1972


Another tower mill stood at the top of Loke Road, now known as Mill House Estate, this I can remember quite well the timber (oak) from this mill was bought by the firm I worked for sometime around 1928-30,
Letter from R. V. Walker to H. E. S. Simmons - 4th May 1973

Confirms that mill was a POST MILL.

Letter from H. E. S. Simmons to Harry Apling - July 1973



O.S. Map 2007
O.S. Map 2007
Image produced under licence from Ordnance Survey

After the mill ceased working and the buck was dismantled, a horse mill was operated inside the roundhouse.


c.1822: Mill built

1822: Stephen Walker, miller

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Pigot's 1830: Stephen Walker, miller, Gaywood

Tithe Award 1839: Stephen Walker, miller

1841: Stephen Walker, miller

March 1842: Corporation of Kings Lynn renewed mill lease for 14 years to Stephen Walker

August 1843: Mill advertised to be let

1843: Stephen Walker jnr imprisoned in Norwich gaol for debt

White's 1845: Nicholas Sands, corn miller

1845: John & Nicholas Sands, millers

December 1845: Mill advertised for sale by auction

July 1849: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1850: Robert Sands, miller

White's 1854: Robert Sands, corn miller

February 1854: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1856: Benjamin Nuthall, miller

White's 1864: Benjamin Nuthall, corn miller

September 1869: Mill house advertised to be let

1871: Benjamin Nuthall, died

February 1872: Benjamin Nuthall, miller, baker & confectioner declared bankrupt

February 1872: Mill advertised for sale by auction

May 1873: Mill advertised to be let

1876: Robert Chapman, miller

1884: James Buckenham

September 1884: 6 h.p. steam engine advertised for sale

April 1888: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1895: Mill being used as a warehouse

July 1895: Mill advertised for sale by auction in August 1895

1st August 1895: Mill withdrawn from auction at £220

c.1926: Mill dismantled



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF62602075
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007