Gaywood
Loke Road
postmill
(earlier)


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Gaywood Loke Road postmill was working in the 1700s but by 1822 it had been replaced by a later_postmill that had been built beside it.


Royal Exchange Fire Insurance Policy No. 65184
11 April 1775: Nathaniel Smith of Gaywood in the County of Norfolk, Miller.
On a Wind Mill with the running tackle and other machinery belonging thereto brick built and covered with boards, situate at Gaywood aforesaid in his own occupation £400. On Goods and Trade therein £100.
Entry 8 May, 1775: £400 on a Windmill £100 on Trade.
Assignment. The Windmill and Trade above mentioned being assigned to Thomas Hawkins, gent. of Lynn Regis in the County of Norfolk, by deed being date 28 April, 1775, is hereby allowed.

Royal Exchange Fire Insurance Policy No. 79535
9 December 1780 : Thos Hawkins of Lynn Regis in the County of Norfolk, Gent. On a Post Windmill and Round House under brick and timber built covered with the running tackle and other machinery belonging thereto brick built covered with tile and boards situate near the Kettle_Mills in Lynn Regis aforesaid in the occupation of Thos. Abel Hawkins, £300.

Royal Exchange Fire Insurance Policy No. 100941
22 Feb 1787 : William Youngs of Lynn Regis in the Co. of Norfolk, Miller.
On a Post Windmill and Round House under brick and timber built and tiled and boarded situate next the Kettle_Mills in Lynn Regis aforesaid in his own occupation £300. On Utensils and Trade therein £50.

Royal Exchange Fire Insurance Policy No. 155842
25 March 1797 : William Forster of Lynn Regis in the Co. of Norfolk, Merchant and Miller.
On a Post Wind Corn Mill with Round House brick timber and tiled and boarded situate at Gaywood in the Co. aforesaid £450. On the standing and going geers £130. On Stock in Trade £220.
On a House and Office adjoining situate in Baxters Row in Lynn Regis, Tenants Robert Young and J. D. Whincopp £200.


O.S. Map 2007
O.S. Map 2005
Image produced under licence from Ordnance Survey

After the mill ceased working and the buck was dismantled, a horse mill was operated inside the roundhouse.


1775: Nathaniel Smith, miller

1775: Thomas Abel Hawkins

1780: Thomas Abel Hawkins

1787: William Youngs, miller

1797: William Forster, miller & merchant

Faden's map 1797: Windmill


c.1820: Mill ceased working and buck dismantled leaving the roundhouse intact

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF62602075
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007