Deopham
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

c.1906
c.1906

Deopham towermill was a 4 storey mill built c.1830 to replace the smockmill that had stood on the site for many years. The mill used 4 double shuttered sails, each with 8 bays of 3 shutters to power two pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill. The boat shaped cap had a petticoat and held a 6 bladed fan.

The windshaft in Stanton Mill carried the maker's name J. AICKMAN LYNN 1830. This shaft was originally in Deopham mill in Norfolk.
Suffolk Windmills - Brian Flint - 1979

Stanton smockmill was demolished c.1939

c.1908
c.1908

To be SOLD by Private Contract
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL situate in DEOPHAM, with Flour Mill, two pair of French Stones & other requisite machinery, in a complete state of repair.
Also a substantial Brick & Tiled Dwelling house, in the occupation of Mr. Robert Howe.
Apply to Mr. John Eagling, Rockland near Attleburgh or to Mr. I. C. Taylor, Solr. Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st June 1833


Storm damage c.1923
Storm damage c.1923

Freehold Property consisting of Windmill, Dwelling House and Buildings.
Deopham Within 3 miles of Attleborough & Hingham
Salter & Simpson
Are instructed to offer for Public Sale at the New Inn, Attleborough on Thursday June 23, 1859 at 5 o’c the following Freehold property
All that substantially built Brick TOWER WINDMILL well situated for trade with patent sails driving 2 pairs French Stones, fitted with Flour Mill & all requisite going gears.
Also Dwelling House, Stable, Granary & other requisite Outbuildings late in the occupation of Mr. John Lee, abutting upon the road leading to Hackford …

Apply to Messrs. Field & Bignold, Solrs. Norwich & the Auctioneers, Attleborough.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 11th & 18th June 1859


Windmill, Dwelling House & Buildings
Deopham near Attleborough
Salter & Simpson
Will offer for Public Sale at the New Inn, Attleborough on Thursday June 23, 1859 at 5 o’c the following FREEHOLD PROPERTY
All that substantially built Tower WINDMILL well situated for Trade, with DWELLING HOUSE, STABLE, GRANARY & other Outbuldings, Garden & Yard, late in the occupation of Mr. John E. Lee.

Further particulars may be had of Messrs. Field & Bignold, Solicitors, Norwich & of the Auctioneers, Attleborough.
Norfolk News - 18th June 1859


c.1930
c.1930

Deopham
Mr. Charles Feltham is instructed to Sell by Auction at the Ringers Inn, Hingham on Tuesday 21 December 1875 at 3 for 4 o’c
A Messuage, Outbuildings, Yards, Gardens, BRICK TOWER WIND CORN MILL with the Machinery & Going Gears therein in Deopham late in the occupation of Mr. George Goddard. Immediate possession.

Apply to Mr. James Feltham, Solr. Hingham, Messrs. Renard & Pomeroy, Solrs. Wymondham or the Auctioneer, North Walsham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th November & Norfolk News 4th December 1875


Deopham, Norfolk
About three miles from Attleborough, Hingham, & Kimberley & five from Wymondham.
Stocking & Mills are instructed to sell by Auction at the Kings Head Hotel, Wymondham on Friday June 3, 1881 at 3 for 4 o’c in One Lot, the well built BRICK TOWER WINDMILL, Granary, Cart Shed, Stable with Room over, DWELLING HOUSE, Garden & Outbuildings. The whole containing about HALF an ACRE, situate in Deopham fronting the Road leading from Wymondham to Attleborough, abutting on property belonging to F.O. Taylor, Esq. & the Executors of the late G.B. Brown, Esq. & now in the occupation of Mr. J. Watts.
Leasehold for a term of 1000 years form 21st June 1828.
Particulars at the Office of the Auctioneers, Orford Hill & of
Messrs. Miller, Son & Stevens,
Bank Chambers, Norwich,

Vendor’s Solicitors.
Norfolk Chronicle - 21st & 28th May 1881


June 1936
June 1936

LOCAL BANKRUPTS
GOODING, William, Deopham, Miller

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th May 1887


SITUATIONS WANTED
As Miller & Baker by a young man with good character, six years with last employer.
J.C., Deopham Mill, Wymondham.

Lynn Advertiser - 15th October 1887


O.S. Map 1891 - 1892
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

When Gt._Ellingham_towermill was demolished, the front sails and stock were reinstalled at Deopham towermill


c.1910 20th November 2005
c.1910
20th November 2005

Millstone doorstep 16th June 2006
Millstone doorstep 16th June 2006

When Gt. Ellingham towermill was demolished, the front sails and stock were reinstalled at Deopham towermill


c.1830: Mill built on site of older smockmill Joseph Stott?

June 1833: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

White's 1836: Robert Howe, miller

Census 1841: Thomas Kimm (30) miller
Elizabeth Kimm (30)
Carter Kimm (3)
Addrtess: Green

Census 1841: Archibald Brassnott (29) miller

White's 1845: Thomas Kimm, corn miller

Census 1851: Thomas Kimm (41) b.Stinston, Suffolk, master miller
Mary A. Kimm (42) b.Thetford
Thomas C. Kimm (12) b.Thetford, scholar
Robert D. Kimm (7) b.Deopham, scholar
Mary A. Kimm (2) b.Deopham
Address: Southill Attleboro Road

Census 1851: Alfred Barker (16) b.Deopham, miller's apprentice (living with parents)

White's 1854: Thomas Kimm, corn miller

1856: Thomas Kimm, miller

1858: John Eagling Lee, miller & baker

June 1859: Mill advertised for sale by auction late in the occupation of John Lee

13th August 1859: Sir Samuel Bignold (Knight) and John Leech (Dealer) to John B. Mallett (Miller)

21st March 1862: Edward Griffin Mallett, miller (took over running the mill)

White's 1864: Edward Griffin Mallett, corn miller

6th April 1864: Richardson Baker, miller (took over running the mill)

31 May 1867: John Baker, Yeoman of Hingham (took over running the mill)

1868: George Goddard, miller

1875: George Goddard, miller

November 1875: Mill advertised for sale by auction

30th June 1877: James Watt, miller & corn merchant (took over running the mill)

Kelly's 1879: John Keely, miller

May 1881: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1881: James Watts, miller

White's 1883: James Watts

1887: William Gooding miller, bankrupt

11th October 1889: George Kent, miller (took over running the mill)

1890: Alfred Mordey, miller

Kelly's 1892: Alfred Mordey, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: William Palmer, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: William Palmer, miller (wind)

Census 1901: William Palmer (58) b.Blofield, corn miller,
own account at home

Kelly's 1904: William Palmer, miller (wind)

1908: John Henry Clabburn, miller

Kelly's 1912: Charles Edward Clarke, miller (wind) & steam miller at Morley St Botolph

Kelly's 1916: Charles Edward Clarke, miller (wind) & steam miller at Morley St Botolph

1918: Charles E. Clarke, miller

1920: Sails damaged in a gale

Kelly's 1922: Charles Edward Clarke, miller (wind) & steam miller at Morley St Botolph

c.1923: Mill ceased working

7th August 1926: Elizabeth Rebecca Attoe (wife)

1926: Mill derelict

1927: Mill burnt out

3rd December 1937: H. A. Rudrum, licensed victualler

1st October 1945: Bertie Humphrey, agricultural worker

31st May 1947: Sarah E. Humphrey to Frederick Phoenix-Stone

1949: Mill tower just a shell

1970: Mrs. Frederick Phoenix-Stone, Mill House

11th October 1985: Mr & Mrs Kieran B. Simington

2005: Mill under new ownership

July 2007: Mill advertised for sale by Savills & W. H. Brown for £379,000

2009: Mill still under same ownership



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM04609675
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005