Deopham
smockmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Deopham smockmill powered two pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill for many years before being replaced by Deopham towermill.

To Millers
To be SOLD by Private Contract with Immediate Possession
A SMOCK WIND MILL with two pairs of Stones & Flour Mill complete with a small piece of Freehold Land attached, situated in Deopham near Attleborough in Norfolk.
Apply to Mr. Robertson on the Premises.
Part of ther Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage if required.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th March 1828

To Millers
To be SOLD BY PRIVATE CONTRACT
A Substantial TOWER MILL with two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill & every other requisite, well situate for Retail Trade, late in the occupation of Mr. Lee, deceased.
Enquire of Mr. John Eagling on the Premises at DEOPHAM or of Samuel Newson, Auctioneer etc. Hingham White Hart.

Norfolk Chronicle - 27th February 1830

William Robertson of Stratton_St Michael_postmill, was the eldest son of William Robertson and Elizabeth Scarffe of Hethersett.
William jnr's brother George took over the running of Hethersett Gt Melton Road postmill in 1829.
Robert Robertson took over at Market Hill mill in Yarmouth before moving to Sprowston.
Abraham Robertson took over the lease of Deopham smockmill on 18th September 1826.
Elizabeth Robertson married John Hastings who was running Starston postmill in 1854.
Susan Robertson married George Willis, a miller & baker from Mendelsham, Suffolk .
John, Simon, David and Samuel Robertson do not appear to have become millers.

John Robertson's son George Wilby Robertson worked in one of the Upper Hellesdon and one of the Gayton windmills. Robert's Robertson's oldest daughter, Elizabeth, married a Harrison of Sprowston postmill.
Elizabeth's sons worked Oulton Broad, Gisleham, Wangford and Sprowston mills. Her oldest son Robert William helped at Sprowston_postmill after his father was crushed to death and he later bought a mill at Oulton Broad. Her next son, George, continued the family line at Sprowston and her youngest son, William Alfred, was an apprentice at a Wymondham mill and a journeyman at Great Bentley, Essex and he later owned St Margaret's Church Mill in Lowestoft.
Abraham's son Wiliam Proctor Robertson worked a mill in Eaton.


22nd January 1783: Edmund Page official extract of will

December 1799: Adminstration of Simon Wilkin

16th February 1814: George Hubbard, miller (land unified under statute)

Brtant's map 1826: Windmill

18th September 1826: lease of one year from G. Hubbard to Abraham Robertson, miller

March 1828: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

20th June 1828: lease of one year from A. Robertson to John Lee, miller

c.1830: John Lee died

February 1830: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

1830: Joseph Stott? (took over running the mill)

c.1830: Mill demolished to make way for Deopham towermill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM04609675
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006