Aylsham
Buttlands Lane
towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Aylsham Buttlands Lane towermill was built adjacent to the Buttlands that was the ancient area where archers were once required to practice every Sunday until the 1700s. The 85 foot mill was probably built for Fiddy Barnes c.1826. In 1853 the mill had one pair of patent sails and one pair of common sails that powered two pairs of stones a flour mill and a jumper but by 1857 the common sails had also been changed to patent sails and an iron windshaft had been installed by 1859.


Tithe Award 1840
Map, James Wright, Land Surveyor, Lynn Regis, 1839
Owner: Fiddy Barnes
Occupier: Edward Jarvis
No. 147; Windmill, shed & yards; Pasture 0a. 0r. 33p. No tithe


Aylsham
To be Sold or Let with immediate possession
A BRICK TOWER WINDMILL driving two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill etc. one pair Spring Patent Sails, one pair Cloth
2½ acres Meadow Land, Dwelling house & Stable.
Apply to Mr. Robert Pratt, Aylsham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 29th October 1853


To be Sold or Let. With possession at Michaelmas next.
A Brick Tower WINDMILL driving two pairs of stones, flour mill, jumper etc. with patent sails. The above is well situated for trade in the market-town of Aylsham, in excellent repair, being nearly new, with granary, stable & cartshed attached.
Apply to Mr. F. Copeman, Blickling.
Norfolk Chronicle - 14th July 1855


Aylsham
Windmill to let at Michaelmas next
A Brick TOWER WINDMILL with patent sails, driving two pair of stones, flour mill & jumper with new granary, stable, cart-lodge etc. situate near the Butt Land in Aylsham, now in the occupation of Mr. James Davison. This mill is now in full trade and is a very desirable occupation.
Apply to Messrs. REPTON & SCOTT, Solicitors, Aylsham
August 20, 1857.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 22nd August 1857


To be sold by Auction by Messrs. Butcher at the Black Boys Inn, Aylsham on Wednesday 20 July 1859 at 1 for 2 o’c
Lot 1.
A Brick TOWER WINDMILL in Aylsham near the Butt Land with an iron shaft, patent sails, driving two pairs of stones, flour mill & jumper with a new Brick & Tile Granary, Stable & Cart Shed adjoining & a small piece of land containing altogether with roadway 31 rods.
Possession to be had on 11 October next. Copyhold of Manor of Aylsham Vicarage. Fine certain.
Apply to Mr. Forston, Solr. Aylsham or the Auctioneers, Theatre Street, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 16th July 1859


Aylsham
To be sold by Auction by Messrs. Butcher at the Black Boys Inn, Aylsham on Tuesday 24 July 1860 at 3 for 4 o’c
In Aylsham
Lot 1. A Brick TOWER WINDMILL near the Butt Land, with iron shaft, patent sails driving two pairs of stones & Flour Mill & Jumper, Granary, Stable & Cart shed adjoining. Copyhold, fine certain.
Possession to be had on 11 th October next.
Particulars of Mr. Forster, Solr. Aylsham or the Auctioneers, Theatre Street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 14th & 21st July 1860


Aylsham
To be Let with Possession at Michaelmas
A BRICK TOWER WINDMILL with Iron Shaft & other requisite machinery all in excellent repair & in full trade. Also a Granary, Stable & Cart shed & Bake Office if required; rent moderate.
Apply to Mr. Forster, Solicitor, Aylsham.
Norfolk News - 4th August 1860


To Millers
TO BE LET, a capital BRICK TOWER WINDMILL, with Patent Sails, driving two pairs of Stones & other requisite Machinery, with Granary, Stables & Cart shed adjoining, situate in the Market Town of Aylsham, where a good Business can be carried on.
Possession at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Girdlestone, Steam Mill, Aylsham.

Norfolk News - 3rd & 10th September 1864


Clowes & Flowerdew are favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction on Tuesday 25 April 1865 at the Black Boys Hotel, Aylsham at 5 for 6 o’c
Lot 5. A substantial Brick TOWER WINDMILL known as the “Butt Land Mill” in Aylsham now occupied by Mr. James Davison, a yearly tenant.
Apply to Messrs. Fosters, Burroughes & Robberds, Solrs. or at the Auctioneers offices, Bank Chambers, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 8th April 1865 & Norfolk News - 15th April 1865


In 1872 James Davison, bought the nearby Cawston Road towermill for £315.


James DAVISON’S Assignment
Aylsham
To be Sold by Auction by
Messrs. Bruce & Son at the Black Boys Inn, Aylsham on Tuesday 17 March 1896 at 4 for 5 pm.
Lot 1.
A DWELLING HOUSE near the Buttlands & with Bake Office, Outbuildings & Brick Tower WINDMILL
.Lot 2.
A Brick Tower WINDMILL near the Cawston Road, with Granary, Stable, Outbuildings & Land, containing about Three Roods.
Possession upon settlement of the purchase.
Apply to Mr. Forster, Solr. Aylsham or the Auctioneers, Aylsham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 7th & 14th March 1896


James DAVISON’S Deed of Assignment
Notice is Hereby Given that the Trustee of the Deed of Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors made by James DAVISON of Aylsham, Miller & Baker, will on the 17 th day of July 1896 proceed to Pay a Final Dividend to all creditors of whose Claims he shall then have had notice.
WM. FORSTER
Solr. To the Trustee.
Aylsham, 30 June 1896.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th July 1896


It would appear that James Davison was in severe financial difficulty by 1896, possibly as a result of the mill being unusable after the sails had been destroyed in a gale the previous year.


Kelly's of 1929 lists Arthur Giddings as baker of Church Hill, thus it would appear he had left the mill.


The two windmills, which were in use within living memory, were brick tower mills and were probably both built in 1826. The Vestry minute book for that year records the assessment of Fiddy Barnes for a new mill which was probably the one situated at the rear of No. 5 Mill Road and sometimes known as the Buttlands mill, and also of Henry Soame for a new mill and house, probably the one of the Cawston Road. The sails were blown off the Buttlands Mill in the great gale of Sunday, 24th March, 1895, and it was never used after. The tower was demolished in 1941 and ...
History of Aylsham - John Sapwell 1960


O. S. Map 1885

O. S. Map 1885
The Buttlands mill is to the northeast and the Cawston Road mill is to the southwest
Courtesy of NLS map images


c.1826: Mill probably built for Fiddey Barnes

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

1830: James Broughton, miller

White's 1836: Edward Jarvis, corn miller

O.S. map 1838: Mill

1839: John Jarvis, miller

Whites 1845: John Tipple, corn miller

1850-1896: James Davison, miller

October 1853: Mill advertised to be sold or let

White's 1854: James Davison, corn miller & baker, Swan Lane

July 1855: Mill advertised to be sold or let

August 1857: Mill advertised to be let

July 1859: Mill advertised for sale by auction

July 1860: Mill advertised for sale by auction

August 1860: Mill advertised to be let

September 1864: Mill advertised to be let

Whites 1864: James Davison, corn miller, Butland Mill

1872: James Davison, miller bought Cawston Road towermill for £315

Kelly's 1879: James Davison, miller & baker, Cawston Rd.

Whites 1883: James Davison, miller & baker, Butt Land's Lane

O.S. map 1890: Windmill (Corn)

Kelly's 1892: James Davison, miller (wind) Cawston Rd.

Sunday 24th March 1895: Sails blown off in a gale and mill was never used with wind power again.

Kelly's 1896: James Davison, miller (wind)

March 1896: Mill advertised for sale by auction

July 1896: Final dividend paid out to creditors of James Davison

Kelly's 1900: James Davison, flour dealer, Hungate Street

Kelly's 1900: Frederick Harrison, miller (wind) & baker, Butt Land mill

Kelly's 1900: Frederick Harrison, baker, Butt Land mill

Kelly's 1904: Frederick Harrison, baker, Butt Land mill

1914: Mill advertised for sale by Irelands on 26th June

Kelly's 1916: Arthur Giddings, baker, Buttland mill & Church Hill

Kelly's 1922: Arthur Giddings, baker, Buttland mill & Church Hill

Kelly's 1925: Arthur Giddings, baker, Buttland mill & Church Hill

1926: Shell of tower remaining

1941: Mill demolished and brick rubble used as part of the foundations for the construction of RAF Oulton

August 1970: Reginald J.W. Bates, Mill Road Stores, 13 Mill Road

c.1975: Foundations remain at the rear of No. 13, Mill Road


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG19102665
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004