Hunworth Mill
River Glaven


June 1974
June 1974


Hunworth watermill is quite an old building dating from c.1750. The site is even older and goes back to at least Saxon times with milling dues having been paid since the time of Edward the Confessor.

The mill and house are integral and built of a mixture of Norfolk red brick and flint with a pantiled roof. The brown stained lucum is extremely large, being supported from the ground and have would completely sheltered any waggon loading or unloading.

The mill was disused for some 80 years and was at one point lying almost derelict.


1932
1932


May 1969   May 1967
May 1969
 
May 1967


When sold in 1974 the machinery was intact. The wheel was 14 feet in diameter and 4 feet 6 inches wide and was constructed of wood with cast iron hubs. The drive to the stones was from above, which was a very rare configuration. The only other Norfolk mills to share this configuration found so far were at Snettisham,
Stoke_Holy_Cross, Thornage and Weybourne. Possibly it is simply coincidence that Thornage happens to be the mill below Hunworth.



Tailrace May 1967
Tailrace May 1967


The mill with the Grade ll listed mill house and an acre of ground was sold at auction by Savills at the Royal Hotel in Norwich on 12th July 1974.

Since that time the property has been renovated on at least one occasion and was sold again in March 2002 for £1.2 million.



Renovations in 1977 - previous alterations visible   1977
Renovations in 1977 - previous alterations visible
 
1977


November 1982   November 1982
November 1982
 
November 1982


Hunworth Mill was the setting for the film The Kingfisher starring Wendy Hillier and Rex Harrison.



November 1982   November 1978
November 1982
 
November 1978

9th November 1988
9th November 1988


In 1844 John Pegg, who had been a miller at Hellesdon, built Hindolveston_towermill as a replacement for his postmill, which although advertised for sale by Thomas Pegg in 1829, had remained in the family. William Pegg had taken over the running of the towermill by 1888.



4th September 2004
4th September 2004

31st May 2008
31st May 2008

O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

White's 1836: Richard Jackson

Census 1851: John Cooke (49) master miller
John Gymer (45) journeyman miller
Henry Woods (67) miller's labourer

White's 1864: Robins Cooke

White's 1883: James Pegg, miller, baker & farmer, also Thurning and Hindolveston

Kelly's 1883: Charles Ruby Francis

Kelly's 1892: William Pegg, also Thurning and Hindolveston

Kelly's 1896: William Pegg, miller (water); resides at Hindolveston, also at Thurning and Hindolveston

Kelly's 1900: William Pegg, miller (water); resides at Hindolveston, also at Thurning and Hindolveston

Kelly's 1904: William Pegg, miller (water); resides at Hindolveston, also at Thurning and Hindolveston

12th July 1974: Sold by auction with machinery intact

1977: Mill renovated

March 2002: Mill sold having been advertised by FPD Savills asking for offers in excess of £1,000,000


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG0664 3561
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2003