Bawburgh Mill
River Yare


April 1967
April 1967


Bawburgh watermill was last rebuilt in 1876 as a substantial three storey building consisting of four main gables and one smaller older one, all of red brick with a pantiled roof. The older section has an arch low in the wall with curved brickwork, which could well have been part of an older watercourse leading to the wheelhouse in an older building demolished to make way for the new structure. A mill at Bawburgh was mentioned in Domesday and there were doubtless several wooden structures over the centuries until the last one burnt down prior to the final rebuild.

The original cast iron wheel was left in place atop of the new horizontal turbine. There was a considerable volume of water at Bawburgh and a fall of nine feet provided a good amount of power via the turbine, although at one point a steam engine was used to supplement the water system.

Piling 5th September 1893
Piling 5th September 1893

Jeremiah Colman once owned the older mill before moving on to the much larger Stoke_Holy_Cross mill in 1814 to produce his world famous mustard.

Born 16 July 1777
Baptised 6 August 1777 at Ashwellthorpe
Son of ROBERT COLMAN (1749-1807) and Mary (née Harmer)
Learned business of miller at BAWBURGH watermill (then corn, later paper mill) starting there in 1802.

In March 1804 purchased smock_mill on eastern side of Magdalen Road, Pockthorpe, Norwich, near Silver Road.
Moved from Bawburgh to Norwich in July 1804.
Windmill "late JECKELL'S"
Peck, Norwich Directory 1802, Thomas Jeckell, corn merchant, 127 Magdalen Street, Norwich.
In 1814 took lease of watermill at STOKE HOLY CROSS.
In mid 18th Cent. a Mr. Denny (died 1767) was making paper there.
He was succeeeded by a Mr. Ames who manufactured mustard.
JEREMIAH COLMAN decided to combine corn and mustard rather than revert to paper.
Married c.1794. Wife ANNE
Had no children. Died 1851 aged 74
Brother Robert had eleven sons

JAMES
|
JEREMIAH JAMES
|
RUSSELL JAMES
(1861 - 1946)
EDWARD
|
FREDERICK
|
GORDON
JEREMIAH etc.
|
JEREMIAH
Harry Apling - c.1982

Edward Candler, 1811 - 1888 was recorded as miller in 1836 and 1845. His family were Quakers and several of his relatives were also millers. Lawrence Candler 1747 - 1820 was recorded at at Cringleford in 1806 (either the watermill or the postmill). His son Lawrence jnr. 1773 - 1824 was recorded at Cringleford_watermill in 1836 and again in 1845 with Horatio (his brother?) Horatio was again recorded there in 1864 and his son Horace Robert from 1883 - 1908. Lawrence and Horatio were recorded at Saxlingham_Thorpe_watermill from 1845 - 1863; they were also running Saxlingham_towermill in 1847. In 1879 and 1883 Horace was also recorded at East_Harling_watermill, where he lived and from at least 1890 - 1896 he was also running Keswick_watermill.

May 1965
May 1965

On Saturday last as Mr Chas Mason, the foreman of Messrs Wagstaffe and Chandler, of Bawburgh Mill, was assisiting in the removal of one of the mill-stones, the ropes gave way, and the stone falling upon him, crushed his knee so dreadfully that immediate amputation was deemed necessary.
Norwich Mercury - 8th December 1821

BAWBURGH MILL
TO BE SOLD
AN excellent WATER CORN MILL, and STEAM ENGINE attached, together with a convenient Messuage, granaries, waggon lodge, piggeries, and other outbuildings, in a complete state of repair, with a garden and piece of land adjoining, situate at Bawburgh, Norfolk, within Five miles of the city of Norwich. The Mill is situate on a fine stream of water, having a fall of nine feet, and is capable of manufacturing 15 to 20 lasts per week.
Also, Four Freehold Cottages, in Bawburgh, in the occupation of Charles Mason and others.
Also, a Messuage, with wheelwright's shop. yard, and garden, all Freehold, in Bawburgh, now in the occupation of John Cole.
Also, a Piece of Land, in Bawburgh, containing 1A. 2R. 0P.
for further particulars apply to Messrs. Mitchell and Clarke, Solicitors, Wymondham, or to
Mr. William Thorold, Engineer, St. Martin's at Oak, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd May 1829

When newly rebuilt in 1887, Bawburgh was opened as a pulp mill. This was in the days when paper was mainly made from cloth pulp rather than wood pulp. About 90 women worked at the mill processing clothes and old army uniforms. One lady had a sackful of buttons she had removed as part of the preparation process and buttons were found in the surrounding gardens for years afterwards.

The prepared pulp was shipped over to the much larger Taverham mill for finishing. This continued until the plentiful supply of wood pulp firmly established it as the premier paper making material.


Mill dam August 1968
Mill dam August 1968

Bawburgh Mill
TO BE SOLD
An excellent WATER CORN MILL and STEAM ENGINE attached, together with a convenient Messuage, granaries, stables, waggon lodge, piggeries, and other outbuildings, in a complete state of repair, with a garden and piece of land adjoining, situate at Bawburgh, Norfolk, within 5 miles of the city of Norwich.
The mill is situate on a fine stream of water, having a fall of nine feet, and is capable of manufacturing from 15 to 20 lasts per week.
Also, Four Freehold Cottages, in Bawburgh, in the occupation of Charles Manson and others.
Also, a Messuage, with wheelwright's shop, yard, and garden, all Freehold, in Bawburgh, now in the occupation of John Cole.
Also a Piece of Land, in Bawburgh, containing 1A. 2R. 0P.
For further particulars apply to Messrs. Mitchell and Clarke, Solicitors, Wymondham, or to
Mr. William_Thorald, Engineer, St Martin's at Oak, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd May 1829

Workers at the mill in 1861 included:
Esau Arger, Maria Birgg, Hannah Boast, Sarah Brown,Harriet Buggs, Peter Emmanuel Davis (Belgium), Eleanor Elizabeth Stone.

Workers at the mill in 1871 included:
Harriette Barnes, Edmund Bervis, Henry Bervis, Caroline Boast, Elizabeth Boast, Elizabeth Cushing, Elizabeth Cullum, Frederick Daynes, Mary Ann Gould, Richard Hammond, Rachael F(J)eary, Mathew Kirby, Harriette Mace, George Morter, Mary Morter, Mary Ann Oakes, Robert Ottarway, Sarah Ottoway,
Sophia Perkins, Hannah Shickle, Mary Shickle, Sarah Walpole. 

David William Child c.1910
David William Child c.1910

The depths of this quiet little village were yesterday stirred to the utmost by the sudden death of Mr. David William Child. He was one of the most prominent and useful residents, ably filling every official appointment in the district, including that of postmaster. He was courteous in his dealings and his services were ever at command when any difficulty presented itself.
When Bawburgh Mill was no longer used for manufacture of paper for "The Times", Mr. Child took it on a s corn mill and thus added to his many endeavours to keep the district alive in local ? indeed he was the complete personification of an industrious man and he was greatly respected and esteemed accordingly. A deservedly thriving man, he set before others an example to emulate.
To all appearances he had been in good health and vigor and retired to rest in his usual condition and spirits. At half past six the next morning he passed away. His loss will be deeply felt in the neighbourhood over which his unexpected death has cast a gloom. He is to be buried at Bawburgh on Thursday at two o'clock.

Bawburgh - 6th August 1913

O.S. map 1891
O.S. map 1891
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

April 1969
April 1969

After going out of the pulp market Bawburgh mill was turned over to corn milling and then grist milling.
It remained in this trade until production ceased in October 1967.

The Mill was sold at auction by Hall & Palmers on 27th October, 1967.
The sale notice description read:

BAWBURGH MILL
One of the remaining Water Mills
STORAGE AND MILLING PREMISES
4900 sq. ft. on two floors; garages, etc, and the goodwill
of the Agricultural merchants business.
MODERNISED MILL HOUSE
2 Reception, Kitchen, 3 Bedrooms, Bathroom
3 Second Floor Bedrooms
GRAZING MEADOWS of 3½ Acres.

Sale catalogue 1929 Sale catalogue details 1929
Sale catalogue 1929
Sale catalogue details 1929

Aerial view c.2000
Aerial view c.2000

1977 31st May 2004
1977
31st May 2004


Runner stone memorial 31st May 2004
Runner stone memorial 31st May 2004

2nd May 2007
2nd May 2007

2nd October 2011
2nd October 2011

O.S. map 2005
O.S. map 2005
Image produced with permission of Ordnance Survey

The last miller, Clifford Warman, had a close in the village named after him.

1514 - 1581: 3 generations of the Tilney family ran the mill. 3rd generation, William Tilney built Kings Head pub in 1602

1753 - 1759: William Pepper - rebuilt and lived at the mill (at Buxton Mill in 1778)

1778: George Watson, miller

1785: Timothy Lant (b.1762)
miller of Bawburgh at time of his marriage in 1785 at Great Melton. Son Joseph was the miller of Tibenham when his son was baptised in 1803 and Joseph's son, (also Joseph) was also a miller of Tibenham in 1832

1801: John Wagstaffe

1809: John Wagstaffe, miller, died

1802 - 1814: Jeremiah Colman, miller

May 1829: Mill advertised for sale via William Thorald, millwright

White's 1836: Edward Candler, Corn Miller

White's 1845: Edward Candler, Corn Miller

Census 1851: Frederick Fox Daines b.1812 Bawburgh, journeyman miller (deaf from birth)

Parish Register 1852-7: Frederick Fox Daines, miller

Census 1861: Frederick Fox Daines, paper mill labourer

White's 1864: Delane Magnay & Co., Paper Manufacturers (also at Taverham)

Census 1871: Frederick Fox Daines, paper mill labourer

1876: Old wooden mill burnt down and rebuilt of brick. Cottages for mill workers and school built

Kelly's 1883: Delane Magnay & Co., Paper Manufacturers

White's 1890: John Henry F. Walters, paper manufacturer; and Taverham; home Catton

Kelly's 1892: J.H. Walter & Co., Paper Manufacturers (also at Taverham)

Kelly's 1896: J.H. Walter & Co., Paper Manufacturers

Kelly's 1908: David William Child, Corn Miller

Kelly's 1912: David William Child, Corn Miller

5th August 1913: David Child died

Kelly's 1922: Executors of David William Child, Corn Miller (Child brothers)

Kelly's 1929: Executors of David William Child, Corn Miller (Child brothers)

1929: Mill sold

Kelly's 1937: Warman & Sons, Corn Millers

October 1967: Warman family sold the mill. Clifford Warman working right up until the end.

1967: Mill finally closed and converted to residential use

1988: Mill coverted from a single house to 6 residential units

2004: Mill consists of 4 residences

March 2008: Mill advertised for sale by Fine & Country for c.£395,000



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG1543 0878
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004