Upper Hellesdon smockmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Upper Hellesdon smock mill stood to the east of the Aylsham Road at the end of a track. The 5 storey mill used patent sails to drive 3 pairs of stones. The brick base went up to the level of the stage.


In 1828, the grinding capacity of the mill was given as 6 lasts i.e. 120 coomb sacks per week, which equates to 40 coombs per week per pair of stones.


Eligible Investment,
To be SOLD by Private Contract,
With Possession at Michaelmas next or sooner if required.

A Capital TOWER WIND MILL, Brick and Timber built, with Patent Sails and driving three pair of Stones. The Machinery of every description in this Mill is in excellent condition and new within a very few years, and she has the advantage of about one acre of Land attached. The property is situated within a mile of Norwich, in a populous and increasing neighbourhood; and the Land is a most eligible spot for Building purposes.
The only outgoing is a Land-tax of 9s. per annum.

For price and particulars, apply (if by Letter postage paid) to Mr. Peter Day, Solicitor, Upper Market, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 9th & 23rd August 1828


To be SOLD or LET
With Possession at Michaelmas

A Capital TOWER WIND-MILL Brick and Timber built, with Patent Sails and driving three pair of Stones and capable of Manufacturing about six Lasts of Corn per week. The Machinery of every description is in excellent condition and new within a very few years. There is about one Acre of Land attached to the Mill which will be comprised in the purchase.
The above Property is all Freehold and situate within a mile of Norwich in a populous and increasing neighbourhood and the Land forms an eligible spot for Building purposes and the only outgoing is a Land tax of 9s. per annum.

Part of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage if required.
Apply (if by Letter postage paid) to Mr. Peter Day, Solr. Upper Market, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 20th & 27th September 1828


To be SOLD or Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract

A Capital TOWER WINDMILL situate in a populous neighbourhood in the vicinity of Norwich with nearly an Acre of Land attached all Freehold and the outgoings are moderate. The Mill will manufacture five Lasts per week and to an industrious worker miller is altogether a desirable concern. A small capital will surfice as a considerable portion of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage.
Apply to Mr. Peter Day, Solr. Upper Market, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 5th & 12th Bebruary 1831


The mill was marked on the 1834 map. John Hill was the miller in 1836 and the mill was also marked on the 1838 map. Charles Bensley was the miller from 1839 to 1845, followed by James Capon, who had previously been at Catton towermill, until 1848. The mill was for auction in December 1848.


1834 map as redrawn by Harry Apling
Upper Hellesdon smockmill to northeast of Upper Hellesdon postmill
Upper Hellesdon Press Lane postmill marked as St. Clement's
Manning's 1834 map as redrawn by Harry Apling

To be Sold at a very low price. Within one mile of Norwich.
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL erected within a few years, with Patent Sails and driving three pair of stones and capable of manufacturing about 6 lasts of corn per week.
Attached to the Mill is about an Acre of excellent Land well adapted for building purposes.
All Freehold and the only outgoings a Land tax of 9s. per annum.
two thirds of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage.
Applications to Peter Day, Solr. Upper Market, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd May 1835

To Millers
A very Eligible Situation for anyone commanding a small capital
To be Let For the remainder of a term of years
A very desirable Tower
WINDMILL with all hert Going Gear in excellent repair, driving three pairs of stones, in the vicinity of Norwich, with House, Garden, Granary, Stable and suitable conveniences.
Apply to Mr. Charles Bensley St. Stephens personally or by letter post paid.
N. B. The present occupier is declining business.

Norfolk Chronicle - 4th & 11th June 1842

NORWICH, HELLESDON
Mr. Butcher is instructed to Sell by Auction at the Royal Hotel, Norwich on Thursday 21 December 1848 at 1 for 2 o'c
Lot 1.
A Plot of Land at Hellesdon near Norwich containing 3r. 15p. or thereabouts with an excellent brick and board TOWER
WINDMILL Driving three pairs of stones, with five floors, patent sails, spacious granary, cart lodge and stable. Also a Brick and Tile built Cottage. All in the occupation of Mr. James Capon who is under terms to deliver possession to the purchaser.
Freehold. Land Tax 9s. per annum.
NB. The Implements in the Mill to be taken by the Purchaser at Valuation.
Apply to Mr. Feake Sanford, Solr. 20 John Street, Adelphi, London or to Mr. Butcher, Auctioneer, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 9th & 16th December 1848

Timothy Baker was the miller from 1854 to 1856. He was born c.1792 in Beeston, Norfolk and had previously been a corn merchant’s agent. In 1856 Henry Bond, who came here from Bond’s mill, Sprowston_towermill, took the mill. He died on the 13th February 1860.


DIED

On Monday last, Mr. H. Bond, sen., miller, Hellesdon, late of Sprowston.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th February 1860

His widow, Martha and two of her sons, William George and Henry, who was known as Harry, then ran the mill.


William George Bond left the mill in 1871, taking the New_Catton_towermill on St. Clement's Hill. Harry Bond continued to run the mill. He was married in September 1873.


MARRIED

BOND – JEFFRIES. – On the 30th ult., at Hellesdon, by the Rev. C. A. Hope, Henry Bond, miller, to Hannah, fourth daughter of William Jeffries, farmer, both of Upper Hellesdon.
Norfolk Chronicle - 11th October 1873

O. S. Map 1883
O. S. Map 1883
Upper Hellesdon postmill to southwest and Upper Hellesdon smockmill to northeast
Courtesy of NLS map images

Henry Bond was given in Hamilton’s Directory of 1879 as at the Tower Mill Upper Hellesdon. In 1881 he was given as a miller aged 38 living at the mill & dwelling house, Hellesdon with his wife Hannah (28) sons Henry W. (4) and Charles F. (3) and daughters Gertrude (6) and Emma (1). He was listed in Eyre’s Directory of 1883 as a miller at Aylsham road. The mill was marked on the 1884 map. In 1885 Henry Bond was elected one of the overseers for Hellesdon. Henry Bond was listed in White’s Directory of 1886 as a corn miller at Hellesdon mill, home Upper Hellesdon Road. He was at the mill until 1888, in which year the mill had a steam engine and Mrs. Hannah Bond followed him until at least 1890. The mill was standing in 1897 and Harry Pointer demolished it later. A round building was marked on the 1907 and 1914 maps – perhaps the base was left standing as a store when the mill was demolished.


Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

August 1828: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

September 1828: Mill advertised for sale or let

February 1831: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

Manning's map 1834: Windmill

May 1835: Mill advertised for sale

1836: John Hill, miller

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

1839: Charles Bensley, miller

June 1842: Mill advertised to be let

1845: Charles Bensley, miller

1845: James Capon, miller

December 1848: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1850: James Capon, miller

1854: Timothy Baker, miller

1856: Timothy Baker, miller

1856: Henry Bond, miller

13th February 1860: Henry Bond died

Census 1861:

Martha Bond (60) miller
Henry S. Bond (21)
William B. Bond (20)
Address: Aylsham Road, Hellesdon

1863: Mrs. Martha Bond & William Bond, millers

1864: Mrs. Martha Bond, miller

1865: Mrs. Martha Bond, miller

White's 1868: Martha Bond, corn miller, Hellesdon

Census 1871:

Martha Bond (71) miller
William G. Bond (33)
Henry Bond(31)
Harriet Bond (54) sister
Address: Cromer Road, Hellesdon

1875: Harry Bond, miller

Hamilton's 1879: Harry Bond, miller

Census 1881:

Henry Bond (38) miller
Hannah Bond (28) wife
Gertrude Bond (6)
Henry W. Bond (4)
Charles F. Bond (3)
Emma Bond (1)
Address: Mill & dwelling house, Hellesdon

Eyre's 1883: Harry Bond, miller, wind & steam

O.S. map 1883: Windmill (Corn)

1885: Henry Bond elected as an overseer of Hellesdon

1888: Henry Bond, miller

1890: Hannah Bond, miller

c.1898: Mill demolished by Harry Pointer


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG22251075
 
-1824 to 1897+
All historical material within this page
© Michael Roots & Jonathan Neville
Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2018