Thorpe
Plumstead Road
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Plumstead Road tower mill was also known as Barracks Mill or Little Fanny.


This tower mill is first mentioned in an advert of 1825 when it was described as Newly Erected.


Capital Freehold Tower Wind-mill, Bake Office, Dwelling-houses &c. at Thorpe

and Sprowston

To Be SOLD by AUCTION

By WM. BUTCHER,

At the Freemason’s Tavern, Elm Hill, Norwich, on Monday the 17 th day of September 1825.

A substantial-built Newly Erected Tower WIND-MILL, with a Dwelling-house and Garden adjoining, pleasantly situated on an eminence in the hamlet of Thorpe, near the residence of Sir Robert John Harvey.

Also several excellent Dwelling-houses, Bake office, and Building Ground at Sprowston, occupied by Newton Mason, Mrs. Fowler, and others.

A considerable part of the purchase money may remain on mortgage at Four per Cent.

For particulars apply to Mr. Wm. Butcher, Auctioneer, Surveyor and Estate Agent, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 27th August 1825


SALES BY AUCTION

New Erected TOWER WINDMILL, DWELLING-HOUSES, &c at Thorpe and Sprowston, Near Norwich.

By Wm. BUTCHER

At the Freemason’s Tavern, Elm Hill, Norwich.

On Monday, September 17 th, 1825.

At Four o'clock in the Afternoon

In Eight Lots.

Lot 1. All that Newly-erected TOWER WINDMILL, with Flour Mill, two pair of stones, and going gears complete, with a very good brick and tile Dwelling-house, and Forty Rods of Land adjoining, well situated for wind, at Thorpe, near the residence of Sir Robert John Harvey.

Particulars and conditions of Sale may be had of the Auctioneer, near the Theatre, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 10th September 1825


The mill was again for auction in 1831. The millwrights who built it may have been Messrs. Balls & Fitt.


ELIGIBLE INVESTMENT

To Millers and Others,

To be SOLD by AUCTION,

By Mr. JOHN HARPER,

On Monday, the 2nd day of May next,

At the House of Mr. D. Sharpe, the King’s Arms Inn, at Bishop Bridge in Norwich

(Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract,)

All that newly erected and substantial Brick Built TOWER WINDMILL, with four Patent self--regulating Sails, having one pair of French Flour Stones, and another pair of Stones for the purpose of manufacturing Empden Groats, with flour Mill, corn Screen, Cylinder and every thing Complete.

The above property is situated on the Public Road leading from Plumstead to Thorpe, and within about 200 yards of the Navigable River from Norwich to Yarmouth.

For further particulars apply to Mr. Balls, Millwright, Magdalen Street, Mr. Shore, at Bishop’s bridge, who will shew the premises, or to Mr. John Richard Coaks, Solicitor, Upper King Street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd April 1831


Thomas Bush was the miller in 1832, when the mill was put up for sale.


TO MILLERS

To be SOLD by AUCTION,

By J. HARPER

On Saturday, the 23 rd day of June, 1832,

At the Waggon and Horses Inn, in the Parish of Saint George’s Tombland, in Norwich.

At Four o'clock in the Afternoon,

(Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract,)

ALL that Capital TOWER WINDMILL, with four floors, patent sails, two pair of French stones, flour mill, and jumper. Contiguous thereto is a good granary, two-stalled stable, cart-shed, &c. Also a convenient Dwelling-house, with keeping-room, parlour, kitchen, three sleeping-rooms, cellar, and other conveniences, together with a garden.

The above Premises are situated in the Hamlet of Thorpe, in the county of the city of Norwich, are in excellent repair, and in the occupation of Thomas Bush.

Land-tax 2s. per annum.

A great part of the purchase money may remain on mortgage. – An early possession may be had.

For price and particulars apply to Mr. Hedgeman, King-street, Norwich,

7th June 1832

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th June 1832


Utting Burgess was the next miller, until 1834, when the mill was for sale by private contract.


TO MILLERS

To be SOLD by Private Contract,

With Possession at Midsummer next,

AN Excellent Freehold New built Brick TOWER WINDMILL, with the Machinery, Fixtures, & Appurtances thereto belonging, situate in the hamlet of Thorpe in the county of the city of Norwich, abutting on the Road leading to Plumstead, and now in the occupation of Mr. Utting Burgess.

For particulars apply to Mr. J. W. Dowson, Solicitor, Bank Street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th June 1834


The mill was not sold. Thomas Bush took the tenancy from Midsummer 1834 and the mill was for auction in September of that year.


Tower Windmill, at Thorpe.

To be SOLD by AUCTION,

By WM. BUTCHER,

At the Greyhound Inn, St. Stephen’s, Norwich.

At Four o'clock in the Afternoon, in one lot.

AN excellent Freehold Brick TOWER WINDMILL, with patent Sails, driving two pair of Stones, in the hamlet of Thorpe near Norwich, and also a Brick and tiled Dwelling-house, containing parlour, Store-house, and two bed-rooms. On the Mill Yard there is a good cart-lodge and stable, and there is a Garden adjoining the House. The premises are in good repair, and are now in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Bush, a yearly tenant.

A Portion of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage, and further particulars may be obtained at Messrs. Bignold, Pulley, and Mawe’s Solicitors, and of the Auctioneer, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 30th August 1834


The mill was marked on the 1834 and 1838 maps and was to let in August 1838.


TO MILLERS,

TO BE LET,

WITH IMMEDIATE POSSESSION,

A WIND-MILL, with Cottage, Stable, and Cart Lodge, situated in the hamlet of Thorpe, in Norwich.

Apply to Messrs. Newton and Woodrow, Land Agents, Tombland, Norwich; letters to be post-paid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 18th August 1838


Samuel Field was the next miller. He was born c.1800 at Syleham, Suffolk. The mill was put up for auction in December 1839.


TOWER WINDMILL,

To be SOLD by AUCTION,

By GEO. WOODROW,

On Wednesday, 4th day of December, 1839,

At the Greyhound Inn, Surrey Street, Norwich,

At half-past Four o'clock in the Afternoon.

ALL that Capital TOWER WINDMILL, Going Gears, &c. Messuage, Granary, and Premises, situated on the Plumstead Road, in the parish of Thorpe, about one mile from the City, now in the occupation of Mr. Samuel Field.

Particulars in future papers.

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd November 1839


TO MILLERS,

Eligible Investment

To be SOLD by AUCTION,

By GEO. WOODROW,

On Wednesday, 4 th day of December, 1839,

At the Greyhound Inn, Surrey Street, Norwich,

At half-past Four o'clock in the Afternoon.

IN ONE LOT

A Small FREEHOLD ESTATE, with capital Tower Wind-mill (in good trade), Messuage, Granary, Stable, and Garden adjoining, situate on the Plumstead Road, in the parish of Thorpe, next Norwich, now in the occupation of Mr. Samuel Field, tenant at will.

For particulars apply to Messrs. Bignold, Pulley, and Mawe, Solicitors, Surrey-street; to Messrs. Newton and Woodrow, Land Agents, Tombland; or to the Auctioneer, Surrey-street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 30th November 1839


Samuel Field was still at the mill in June 1840, when the mill was broken into on the 7th of that month.


On Sunday night last, the mill of Mr. Field, on the Plumstead Road, was broken open and two sacks containing 23 stone of flour were stolen therefrom. Information was given to the Norwich Police Force, and Lacey, B.3. was dispatched to the spot. On searching about Mousehold and the adjoining fields, the two sacks were found filled with stones and sunk in a pit; but the thieves were not discovered. This is the fourth time this mill has been robbed in a similar way.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th June 1840


TO MILLERS

ELIGIBLE INVESTMENT.

To be SOLD by AUCTION,

By G. WOODROW

On Saturday, August 1 st, 1840,

At the Bell Inn, Orford Hill, Norwich,

At Four o'clock in the Afternoon,

In One Lot.

A small FREEHOLD ESTATE, with capital TOWER WINDMILL, (in good trade), Dwelling‑house, Granary, Stable, and Garden adjoining, producing a rental of £24 per annum, clear of all outgoings, now in the occupation of Mr. Samuel Field.

The above property is situate on the high road to Plumstead, in the parish of Thorpe next Norwich.

For Particulars and Conditions of Sale apply to Messrs. Bignold and Mawe, Solicitors, or to the Auctioneer, Surrey Street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 25th July 1840


Samuel Field later ran Hardingham watermill. Peter Cannell was listed in Blyth’s Directory of 1842, with a home address in Horsford. He was born c.1793 in St. Faiths, Norfolk. In 1851 he was given as a miller aged 58 living with his wife Maria, (54). He was the miller to 1852, when the mill was to let in September of that year.


TO BE LET

With Possession at New Michaelmas next,

A Capital Brick TOWER WINDMILL within half a mile of the City of Norwich, with Patent Sails, Fly Wheel, two pairs of French Stones, Flour Mill, Jumper, and all Going Gears, in complete repair, a two-stall Stable, Cart-shed, Corn-house, Piggery, and a small Piece of Land. – Rent, Taxes, &c. moderate.

Apply to Bennett and Bream, Grocers, Norwich; letters pre-paid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 28th August 1852


William Woolnough took the lease. It is not known how long he was at the mill, but Henry Glasspoole had taken the mill by 1861. He was born c.1823 in Herringfleet, Suffolk. His eldest daughter died on the 11th November 1861.


DIED

On Monday last, of diptheria, aged six years, Agnes Eliza, eldest child of Mr. Henry Glasspoole, miller, Thorpe Hamlet.

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th November 1861


Henry Glasspoole was listed in White’s Directory of 1868 as a corn miller in Plumstead Road and in Harrod’s Directory as a corn miller in Plumstead Road, Thorpe Hamlet. In 1871 Henry Glasspoole was given as a miller aged 49 living in Plumstead Road, Thorpe with his wife Sarah (42), son Frederick (5), and daughter Laura (14). The mill was for auction in July 1871.


BER STREET,

ST. JOHN DE SEPULCHRE, AND PLUMSTEAD ROAD, THORPE HAMLET,

MR. RAY

IS instructed by the Mortgagee to SELL by AUCTION, at the Maid’s Head Hotel, on Thursday, July 27th, 1871, at Six for Seven o'clock in the evening, in Two Lots, the following FREEHOLD HOUSES and a BRICK TOWER WINDMILL.

Lot 2. – A BRICK TOWER WINDMILL, with the Beer-house adjoining, situate on Plumstead Road, in the Hamlet of Thorpe, in the occupation of Henry Glasspoole. Land Tax –

W. SADD, Esq.,

Vendors Solicitor.

Norfolk Chronicle - 15th July 1871

The mill was marked on the 1873 and 1884 maps and Martin Hall was the miller & beer retailer in 1892 followed by William Green in 1896. The mill was for sale in December 1906.


Tenders are invited for the purchase of the machinery and contents of another windmill on the borders of Norwich, this time near the new gaol. One by one they keep dropping out and soon we shall scarcely have a town possessing a windmill.

The Miller - 3rd December 1906


The mill was shown as disused on the 1907 map.


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 24730940
 
-1825 to 1907
All historical material within this page © Michael Roots
Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004