Mautby
Runham Five Mile
drainage mill
River Bure



10th July 1973
10th July 1973

Runham Five Mile drainage pump was built to the east of Five Mile House to the south of the River Bure and stands alone next to a modern red brick pumphouse. The 4 storey mill is Grade ll listed.

Plaque WHV 1849 over door on brick tower, which is cracked at rear. Sails, fantail and cap missing. Floors in good state and much machinery remains; inner cog driving scoopwheel shaft much larger in this mill than in later ones in area, and scoop is on east rather than west as usual.
Tree has sprouted between wheel and tower. Scoop sump with tall brick arch on north now cut off, but original pair of arches through river embankment still serves modern pumphouse to east.

E. Rose - 24th April 1979

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Runham Five Mile lower right; Runham Swim south lower left; Runham Swim north left centre
Courtesy of NLS map images

1849: Mill built and sluice gate inscribed R & J Stolworthy 1849

1973: Tarred red brick tower without cap or sails; fan cradle, windshaft, brakewheel and machinery intact

1979: Cap, sails and fantail gone

1998: Fanstage and all internal machinery remaining

2003: Sluice gate removed since 1969

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 47780984
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019