Runham
Swim south
drainage mill
River Bure




Runham Swim north wind pump had a 3 storey tarred red brick tower, 30ft high to its curb, containing two doors, one window and a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat. Power to the internal scoop wheel designed to pump water from the marshes into the River Bure was supplied by patent sails and the cap was turned to wind by an 8 bladed fantail with a Y wheel.

Runham Swim south wind pump was often called Perry's Mill although the name 'Swim' was coined by virtue of cattle being herded down the track to the river where they swam across to graze on the marshes on the opposite side. This was also the site of a ferry across the River Bure.

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Runham Swim south below river; Runham Swim north above river;
Courtesy of NLS map images

1987: Tarred red brick tower with temporary aluminium cap and all machinery except sails or fanstage

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 47190987
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019