Ludham Bridge Beaumont's
drainage mill
River Ant



c.1905
c.1905

Ludham bridge south drainage mill stood just to the southeast of Ludham bridge on the north bank of the river. The mill was also known as Beaumont's Mill as it was run by Charles Beaumont in its latter years. At one point the tower was heightened. The mill had an Norfolk boat shaped cap and a fantail. The two pairs of odd patent sails were struck via a chain pole.

c.1925
c.1925

Site of a much-photographed brick tower drainage windmill. It was built in 1800-1802 in association with the enclosure of Ludham marshes. It drained land on both north and south sides of Ludham Bridge, although it was supported from circa 1877 by the small mill built to the north of the bridge and the addition of a steam engine plant built on a site closer to the bridge, to the north west, during the 1890s. It was still working in the mid 1930s but stood as a derelict brick tower only during the 1940s and 1950s. The remains are believed to have been cleared away in the 1960s.
Alison Yardy (HES) - 11 August 2011


11th September 1934
11th September 1934

c.1930
c.1930

c.1960
c.1960

O. S. Map 1905
O. S. Map 1905
Courtesy of NLS map images

1800-1802: Mill built in association with the enclosure of Ludham Marshes

1800s - 1900s: Mill run by several generations of the Rice family

O.S. map 1905:
Draining Pump

Kelly's 1916: Charles Beaumont, marshman

Kelly's 1922: Charles Beaumont, marshman

Kelly's 1925: Charles Beaumont, marshman

Kelly's 1925: Charles Beaumont, marshman

Kelly's 1929: Charles Beaumont, marshman

Kelly's 1933: Charles Beaumont, marshman

Kelly's 1937: Charles Beaumont, marshman

c.1940: Mill cap and machinery removed

1945: Mill tower only remaining

1960s: Mill demolished to make way for boat mooring


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 37381699
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007