Ludham Bridge north
drainage mill
River Ant



May 1978
May 1978

Ludham Bridge north drainage mill was a small 3 storey red brick mill that stood just to the north of Ludham Bridge on the north bank of the River Ant. The tower was around 20 feet high to its iron curb and its base diameter was 12 ft. 4 ins. including 18 in. thick walls.

23rd May 1986 8th September 2006
23rd May 1986
8th September 2006

A wartime pill box was built into the tower base for the Home Guard and a circular concrete mounting block for a mortar stood close to the tower. Loopholes for guns were built into the tower that are still in evidence. By the 1980s a wooden frame had been set on the top and the tower had developed a slight lean that has increased over the years.

Tower base 29th December 2008 Leaning tower 29th December 2008
Tower base 29th December 2008
Leaning tower 29th December 2008

Loose curb on top of tower 29th December 2008 Loose curb on top of tower 29th December 2008
Loose curb on top of tower 29th December 2008

3rd August 2018
3rd August 2018

O. S. Map 1905
O. S. Map 1905
Courtesy of NLS map images

O.S. map 1905: Draining pump

1934: Mill sails and fantail gone but cap and gallery in situ

c.1942: Cap and gallery removed and the tower taken over by the Home Guard who used it as a pillbox

23rd May 1986: Mill derelict with a few floor beams remaining

December 2008: Mill tower with distinctive lean


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 37181722
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007