Wymondham
Browick
smockmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Wymondham Browick smock mill was built on the site of an earlier postmill. The new mill had an eight sided tower set on a two storey vertical brick base. The tower had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat, gallery, chain pole and an 8 bladed fan. The double shuttered sails were struck by rack & pinion and drove 3 pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill. The cast iron windshaft had balance weights like muff couplings bolted onto the rear portion. The stone nuts were taken out of gear by removing a 3 cog segment of the iron nut.

White painted smock mill
Vertical 2 storey brick base
2 double-shuttered sails
Boat-shaped cap
8-bladed fan
Gallery
Chain pole

Rex Wailes photo - 1926

WYMONDHAM
To be Sold by Private Contract with Possession at Michaelmas next
Now in full trade.
A capital TOWER WINDMILL with Patent Sails driving three pairs of French Stones with all requisite Machinery.
The above desirable Property is Freehold and has been held by the present tenant Mr. William Jermyn under a lease for 14 years which term expires at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. James Hammond, Browston Hall Farm, Suffolk, near Great Yarmouth or to Mr. W. Fulcher, Millwright, Mousehold, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 21st August 1847

Situations Vacant
WANTED, a strong active youth as an APPRENTICE to the Milling Business.
Apply to Mr. J. Stammers, Browick, Wymondham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 29th August 1857

Wanted, a steady active Youth as an APPRENTICE to a MILLER.
Apply to J. Stammers, Browick Mill, Wymondham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 12th September 1857

To Millers & Merchants
To be Sold by Private Contract with possession at Michaelmas next
A CAPITAL TOWER WINDMILL
Now in full Trade driving three pairs of stones, Flour mill etc. with good Dwelling house, spacious granaries, stables, cart lodge etc. well adapted for merchandising, situated by the populous town of Wymondham and within a quarter of a mile of the Railway Station.
Apply to J. Stammers, Wymondham.

Norfolk News - 28th April 1858

Situations Vacant
WANTED, a Young Man as IMPROVER in the Milling Business.
Apply to J. Garrett, Browick Mill, Wymondham.

Norfolk News - 28th January 1865

Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, a Young Man as CARTER and IMPROVER, with good character.
Apply to Mr. J. Garrett, Browick Mills, Wymondham.

Norfolk News - 5th October 1872

Situations Vacant
To JOURNEYMEN MILLERS
Wanted, a Young Man of good character.
Apply to J. Garnett, Browick Mills, Wymondham.

Norfolk News - 31st July & 7th August 1875


WRENINGHAM & WYMONDHAM
Windmills at above dismantled and much injured by violence of wind of the 3rd. The Brook (Browick) mill sustained injuries, part of one of the sails being hurled into field adjoining.
Eastern Daily Press - 4th August 1879

HADDISCOE, THORPE, WRENINGHAM & WYMONDHAM
Terrible thunderstorm & hurricane, injuries done to the above mills.

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th August 1879


2nd August 1879 – terrible thunderstorm & cyclone (several tower mills decapitated)
Windmills & Millwrighting - S. Freese 1957-1971


Smock mill near Wymondham Station lost a sail.
Eastern Daily Press - November 1926

Last miller Sidney Barker was also a Stonemason.
The sign for the Windmill Public House, Norwich Road (Morgans) depicted Browick Smock Mill.

Eastern Daily Press - November 1926
This was not so, as noted by Harry Apling, as the sign showed a smock mill with the walls of its brick base vertically stepped, as at Mulbarton.

The Browick mill, so active when Jethro Garrett was the miller, ceased its milling operations long before its sails were blown away by a gale in 1925 ...
Wymondham Old & New, J. E. G. Mosby & P. E. Agar - 1949

John Stammers, born 1822, second son of Robert Stammers of Magdalen_Gates_post_mill, Pockthorpe, Norwich.
At Wymondham 1850 - 1858.
Went to Dilham watermill by 1861 and to Mendham watermill 1864.

Letter from David Cubitt, Norwich, to Harry Apling - December 1982
N.B. John's brother Joseph Stammers, was miller at Mendham

The site later became an industrial area and housed Corston & Co. Ltd's aerated waters at 14 Browick Road.

1830: James Hammond, miller

1833: William Jermyn, tenant miller

White's 1836: J. William Jermyn, corn miller, Browick


O.S. map 1838: Windmill

1839: William Jermyn, tenant miller

1840: William Jermyn, tenant miller

White's 1845: William Jermyn, corn miller, Browick


1846: William Jermyn, tenant miller

1847: William Jermyn, tenant miller

August 1847: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

1850: John Stammers, miller

1853: John Stammers, miller

White's 1854: John Stammers, miller, Downham

1857: John Stammers, miller

1858: John Stammers, miller

April 1858: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

1863: Jethro Garrett, miller

White's 1864: Jethro LIttlewood Garrett, corn miller, Browick mill

1865: Jethro Garrett, miller

1868: Jethro Garrett, miller

1872: Jethro Garrett, miller

1875: Jethro Garrett, miller

1878: Jethro Garrett, miller

Kelly's 1879: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, merchant & miller, Browick mill

3rd August 1879: Mill damaged by a gale and
'part of one of the sails hurled into a field adjoining.'

White's 1883: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, miller, coal & corn merchant, Browick mill

O.S. map 1887: Windmill

1888: Jethro Garrett, miller

White's 1890: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, corn miller & merchant, Browick mill, Browick road

Kelly's 1892: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, merchant & miller (wind & steam), Browick mill

Kelly's 1892: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, miller (wind & steam), Browick mill

Kelly's 1900: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, miller (wind & steam), Browick mill

Kelly's 1904: Jethro Littlewood Garrett, miller (wind & steam), Browick mill

Kelly's 1908: Henry Bird & Son, corn dealers, Middleton street & millers (wind & steam), Browick road

Kelly's 1912: Henry Bird & Son, corn dealers, Middleton street & millers (wind & steam), Browick road

Kelly's 1916: Henry Bird & Son, corn dealers, Middleton street & millers (wind & steam), Browick road

O.S. map 1921: Windmill

Kelly's 1922: Henry Bird & Son, corn dealers, Middleton street & millers (wind & steam), Browick road

Kelly's 1925: Sidney Barker, miller

1926: Sidney Barker, miller, Browick road (T N 51) & stone mason, Bridewell street & Norwich road

1926: Mill still working

November 1926: Mill lost a sail

O.S. map 1935: Windmill

1949: Mill demolished


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG11500145
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2013