Wicklewood
Hackford Rd towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

17th May 1980
17th May 1980

Wicklewood towermill on the Hackford Road stood just off the road on the west side of the village. The three storey mill used patent sails turned to wind with a fantail, to power 2 pairs of French burr stones, a flour mill and jumper. A Baking Office was run from the mill site.


The brick tower was around 25 feet high and the walls were 27 inches thick all the way up. There were two doors at ground level, one on the east side and one on the west side. A 3 ft. diameter wood crown wheel took the drive from the upright shaft to power the sack hoist etc. via a lay shaft.


To Millers & others
To be SOLD by PRIVATE CONTRACT With Immediate Possession
A Capital Freehold Brick Tower WINDMILL at WICKLEWOOD, with two pair of French Stones and Flour Mill, with complete set of Winding Tackle and Patent Sails.
Also an excellent Freehold Dwelling house and other outbuildings and one rood and 21 perches of Land near the Mill. Wicklewood is a good bag and retail country, three miles from each of Wymondham and Hingham and eleven form Norwich.
Apply to Mr. Goldson, Solr. East Dereham or to Mr. Michael Hardy ...

Norfolk Chronicle - 10th January 1829


To Millers & Bakers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A Capital Freehold BRICK TOWER WINDMILL with two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill, with complete set of Winden Tackle and Patent Sails, situate at Wicklewood, in the occupation of Robert Howe.
Also an excellent Dwelling house with Bake Office in full trade and one rood and twenty perches of Freehold Land.
Possession may be had at Lady Day next.
Also a Brick and Tiled Cottage and one rood of Freehold Land near the above Mill.
Wicklewood is a good Bag and Retail Country, three miles from Wymondham and three from Hingham.
Apply to Messrs. Goldson & Son, Solrs. East Dereham or to Michael Hardy, Gressenhall Mill, near East Dereham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th December 1832


WICKLEWOOD
To Millers & Bakers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A Capital Freehold BRICK TOWER WINDMILL with two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill complete, set of Winding Tackle and Patent Sails, eligibly situate at WICKLEWOOD in Norfolk, with a convenient Brick Tiled Dwelling house and Baking Office and about one rood and twenty one perches of Land adjoining of all of which immediate possession may be had.
Also a detached Brick and Tiled Cottage and one rood of Freehold Land.
Wicklewood is a good bag and retail country, 3 miles from Wymondham and 3 from Hingham.
Apply to Mr. M. Hardy, Miller, East Dereham.
All letters must be post paid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 10th June 1837


WICKLEWOOD
To Millers & Bakers
To be Let for a term of Years
A Brick TOWER WINDMILL and a Dwelling House, Baking Office, the Mill is one of the best Bag Mills in the county, situate at WICKLWOOD 3 miles from Wymondham and 3 from Hingham.
Possession may be had at Midsummer.
Apply to Mr. Hardy, Miller, Dereham or Mr. Goldson, Solr. East Dereham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 24th June 1837


Announcement re. The Court for Relief of Insolvent Debtors:
MICHAEL HARDY, formerly of Mattishall, Miller, and at the same time carrying on business as a Baker at East Tuddenham; then of Wicklewood, Miller; then of Beetley, Miller and Baker; then of Wicklewood aforesaid, Miller; and lately of Wicklewood, aforesaid. 
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th October 1838

The earlier announcement in the London Gazette on 12th October 1838 described Michael Hardy as a Journeyman Miller.


Mr. Spelman
Respectfully informs the Public that he is instructed to Sell by Auction on Friday 16 February 1844 at 4 o’c at the Kings Arms Inn, East Dereham the following valuable Property
WICKLEWOOD
Lot 1.
A SUBSTANTIAL BRICK TOWER MILL, with a convenient DWELLING-HOUSE, Stable, Yard, Garden and apart of the Garden Ground at the back of Lot 2, as staked out; in the occupation of Mr. MICHAEL HARDY, Tenant from year to year.
The Mill stands remarkably well for wind, within equal distances from Wymondham and Hingham, has 3 floors, patent sails, winds herself, drives 2 pairs of stones, with flour mill and jumper, and all her going gears complete, and in full trade.
FREEHOLD. No outgoings.
Lot2.
A Brick and Tiled COTTAGE adjoining the Mill Yard, and a piece of Garden Ground, extending backwards 72 feet from the front of the House, now in the occupation of JOHN BUTTON, Tenant from year to year.
FREEHOLD. No outgoings.
The Purchaser of this Lot is to raise a fence separating the Garden Ground sold therewith from Lot 1.
Lot 3.
Post mill at Ovington
Lot 4.
Smock Mill at Gressenhall
Lot 5.
Brick Tower Mill at East Dereham
Norfolk Record Office


Mr. Spelman
Respectfully informs the Public that he is instructed to Sell by Auction on Friday 16 February 1844 at 4 o’c at the Kings Arms Inn, East Dereham the following valuable Property
Lot 1.
At WICKLEWOOD
A substantial Brick TOWER WINDMILL, Dwelling house, Cottage, Stable, Yards and Gardens in the occupation of Mr. Michael Hardy and John Button. The Mill stands remarkably well for wind within equal distances of Wymondham and Hingham, has three floors, Patent Sails, winds herself, dries two pairs of stones, with Flour Mill and Jumper and all her going Gears complete and in full Trade.
Lot 2. Cottage ...
Lot 3.
At OVINGTON
A POST_WINDMILL with two pairs of Stones, Flour Mill and going Gears now in full Trade; a Dwelling house and Outbuildings and about 4 acres of Land of good quality, in the occupation of Mr. William Rose.
Mr. Spelman respectively invites the attention of Merchants & Millers to the above valuable Property. The Mills are situate in good Corn districts, within short distances of considerable Market Towns, are surrounded by a large population & present an advantageous opportunity for either Investment or Occupation.
Early Possession of the Whole may be had.
Lot 4.
At GRESSENHALL
A SMOCK_WINDMILL with DWELLING-HOUSE, Baking Office, Stable, Garden and piece of Land adjoining, situate at Great Bittering, adjoining the public road and near Gressenhall Fairstead, in the occupation of Mr. John Hannant, whose tenancy expires at Midsummer next.
The Mill winds herself, drives 2 pairs of stones, with flour mill, jumper and all her going gears complete.
The Dwelling-House contains ...
The Baking Office is adapted for carrying on a considerable business and is in full trade.
FREEHOLD. No outgoings.
Lot 5.
At EAST DEREHAM
A most substantially-built BRICK TOWER_WINDMILL, with 5 floors, patent sails, winding herself, driving 2 pairs of stones, flour mill, jumper and most complete machinery; together with a brick and tiled Stable and Cart lodge and a piece of productive Arable LAND adjoining, containing 1a. 3r. 0p. or thereabouts; most eligibly situated, within a short distance of the town and near the turnpike road, now in full trade, and in the occupation of Mr John Ives, Tenant from year to year.
FREEHOLD. No outgoings.
Vendors are Mortgagees with power of Sale.
Mr. Spelman respectively invites the attention of Merchants & Millers to the above valuable Property. The Mills are situate in good Corn districts, within short distances of considerable Market Towns, are surrounded by a large population & present an advantageous opportunity for either Investment or Occupation.
Early Possession of the Whole may be had.
Particulars of Messrs. Goldson, Browne & Carthew, Solrs. Dereham & of Mr. Spelman, St. Giles Street, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th January 1844


On Friday 16th February 1844, the mill was sold for £490 at auction. The reserve was £400 + 10 / £370 + 60.
The annual rent was £20 / £24. The cottage was sold for £80.00.


Tithe Award 1845
Map, A. T. Clarke, Surveyor, Norwich, 1844
Owner: John Hannant
Occupier: Michael Hardy

No. 13

House, Mill & Shop

Pasture

0a. 1r. 17p.

1s. 9d.


Dissolution of Partnership
Thomas & John Button, Millers of Wicklewood, in the county of Norfolk, have by mutual consent Dissolved Partnership this first day of September 1857 and request that all debts due from the said Firm be sent to Mr. Thomas Button of Wicklewood, that the same may be discharged and all debts due to the same to be paid to Mr. Thomas Button on or before the 11th day of October next, or proceedings will be entered for the recovery of the same.

Dated September 1, 1857 Thomas Button
John Button
Norfolk News - 5th & 12th September 1857

Michaelmas Sales by John STANDLEY & SONS
WICKLEWOOD MILL
On Tuesday October 9, 1883
The Stock in Trade, Household Furniture and Effects of Mr. Samuel Mann (who has left the Mill)
Sale to commence at 11 0'c
Catalogues to be had at the Place of Sale and the Auctioneers' Offices, Wymondham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd & 29th September 1883


WICKLEWOOD
One Mile from Kimberley Station and Four from Wymondham.
A Pleasantly situated FREEHOLD DWELLING HOUSE, also Brick Tower WINDMILL, Garden and PASTURE LAND, the whole containing 1r. 39p. which SALTER, SIMPSON & SONS are favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction at the Corn Hall, Attleborough on Thursday June 11, 1903
At 3 o'c in the Afternoon, in One Lot.
Messrs. STEVENS, MILLER & JONES,
Bank Chambers, Norwich,
Vendors' Solrs.

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th May 1903


In September 1974, Mrs. Sybil Smith of Wighton (b. c.1896) wrote to Harry Apling.
She related that she was the daughter of Harry Blake who bought the mill property from William Bunting c.1902-1903. By then the mill was derelict and had not been used for some time. The sails were still in place but were later blown off during a gale. After her father died in 1946
and her mother died in 1950, the mill property was bought by Reg Bird of Wymondham


By 1980 the tower had been truncated to 3 storeys and painted black with a felt roof with skylights and a chimney. A new house had been built that incorporated the mill.


Savills, Norwich
Wicklewood £69,500
Attractive Character Residence ... converted from a former windmill and granary.

Eastern Daily Press - 14th June 1985


The EDP advertised the property again on 29th November 1985 at the reduced price of £66,500.


The mill was converted to residential use by Cordy & Son of Hingham in 1974. The eastern entrance door was blocked up. The western entrance was used to connect the mill to the house built alongside. Additionally, an entrance on the 1st floor of the mill was connected to the 1st floor of the house.
Half a Peak stone was incorporated to form the hearth in the mill.


Eastern Daily Press - 8th July 1983
Eastern Daily Press - 8th July 1983
Advert for Irelands, Hall & Palmer of Wymondham

Wicklewood had a second towermill that was taken over by the Norfolk Windmills Trust, with restoration commencing in 1979.


White's 1845: Richard Mann. bricklayer & beerhouse

Kelly's 1879: John Browning Mallett, farmer & flour dealer
Kelly's 1879: John Mann, farmer
Kelly's 1879: Richard Mann, farmer

White's 1883: Mr. Richard Mann
White's 1883: William Mann, shopkeeper

White's 1890: William Mann, carpenter & beerhouse

Kelly's 1908: Thomas Mann, beer retailer & carpenter
Kelly's 1908: William Mann, beer retailer


January 1829: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

December 1832: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

10th June 1837: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

24th June 1837: Mill advertised to be let

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

Census 1841: Michael Hardy (45) miller
Elizabeth Hardy (45)
Sarah Hardy (20)
Mary Hardy (20)
Michael Hardy (10)
John Button (15) Millers Apprentice

1844: Michael Hardy jnr., tenant miller

Friday 16th February 1844: Mill sold by auction for £490 at the King's Arms Hotel in East Dereham

Tithe Award 1845: Owner: John Hannant; Occupier: Michael Hardy

White's 1854: Thomas & John Button, corn millers

1st September 1857: Partnership of Thomas & John Button dissolved

White's 1864: Samuel Mann, miller

Kelly's 1879: Samuel Mann, miller & farmer

White's 1883: Samuel Mann, miller & farmer

September 1883: Business & personal effects of Samuel Mann advertised for sale by auction

O.S. map 1884: Windmill

White's 1890: Robert Smith, farmer & miller

Kelly's 1892: Robert Smith, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: William Bunting, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: William Bunting, miller (wind)

c.1902: Mill ceased working and sail later torn off in a gale

1902-1903: William Bunting sold mill to Harry Blake

Karl Wood painting 1937: Two storey stump with corrugated iron pitched roof

1946: Harry Blake died

1950: Harry Blake's wife died and the mill property was sold to Reg Bird of Wymondham

O.S. map 1955: Windmill

1974: Mill converted to residential use by Cordy & Son of Hingham

1974: Owner: Mr. A. S. Iveson, The Old Mill House; Occupier: Miss C. Lewin

July 1983: Mill advertised for sale by Irelands, Hall & Palmer for £70,000

June 1985: Mill property advertised for sale for £69,500

November 1985: Mill property advertised for sale for £66,500

1980: Stump of roofed mill tower remaining


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG06820257
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005