Snetterton
Mill Hill
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Buxton MSS is a collection of Norfolk documents in the Cambridge University library. Two documents are: a Field Book of Hargham & Snettereton, dated 1681 and A Roll containing rental of one of the Manors of Snetterton Parishes (Pary's or Grimes) dated 1465.
Windmills for grinding corn exiszted at various times in both parishes. The 1681 map shows two in Snetterton, one of which was disused.
Map No. 3, Snetterton in 1681, shows the two mills.
TL997909 is 3-400 yards east of the church, is given as at MILL HILL in 1465 and in 1681 when it would probably be the one then disused. TL985902, between KNOLL MOAR and COMMON MOAR (1681) would be the site of the
(postmill and) later smock mill near MILL FARM.
Norfolk Archaeology Vol. XXXV, Part III - 1972


1861 map
Norfolk Arcaeology Vol XXXV 1972 - 1861 map

1465: Mill standing

1681: Mill disused



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL997909
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011