Neatishead
towermill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


c.1926
c.1926

Neatishead tower windmill was quite a small 4 storey tarred red brick mill that was built during the first quarter of the 1800s to replace an earlier postmill. The mill stood to the south of the village in a farmyard surrounded by low outbuildings. The mill had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat, gallery and a 6 bladed, left handed fan that was installed c.1845. In later years an external pulley wheel was visible that was used to supply power via an auxiliary steam engine that was first installed in c.1883.


To be Sold
An excellent BRICK TOWER WIND MILL working two pair of stones, a flour mill and cylinder with all other necessary going geers in good condition, a dwelling house contiguous with out buildings and an inclosure of good arable Land adjoining, containing about half an acre and other appurtenances.
Also a good brick and tiled Dwelling house ...
The above estate is situated in Neatishead, is copyhold, fine certain and of greater part thereof immediate possession may be had.
Apply to Mr. Daniel Mack of Neatishead or to Mr. Rust, Solr. at Ludham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th & 15th March 1817

The mill was built with common sails and in 1827 had ten and a half yards of sail cloth. Later on, c.1845, four double shuttered patent sails struck via a chain pole were installed and the shutter configuration was recorded although some of the notes are missing:
1 pr. 7 bays of 3 and 1 of 1 (outermost)
1 pr. 1 bay of 5

  1 bay of 4
5 bays of 3
1 bay of 1 (outermost)
The sails drove 2 pairs of underdriven French burr stones situated on the first floor, a flour mill and jumper. A cylinder was recorded in 1827. The all wood great spur wheel had a gearing ring on its top face for an auxiliary drive. The square, wooden upright shaft was chamfered. The stone nuts were taken out of gear by removing a 3 cog segment of the iron nuts and a bell alarm was operated by a damsel.

In 1827 the mill grinding capacity was recorded as:
60 quarters of Corn per week
60 quarters = 6 lasts = 120 sacks
i.e. 60 coombs per week per pair of stones


c.1926
c.1926

To Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A TOWER WINDMILL situate at Neatishead in Norfolk, within one mile of a Navigable River, now in full Trade and capable of manufacturing sixty quarters of Corn per week, ten and a half yards of sail and two pair of French Stones, a Flour mill and Cylinder in good repair, a Cottage, Stable, Cart lodge on the Mill
(?) and a good Dwelling House ... and good outbuildings adjoining the House. Also a piece of Land. Neatishead joins Horning and is nine miles from Norwich. It is a good Corn Country.
Apply to Mr. John Matthews, Hingham.
(amended to Ingham 2nd & 9th June)
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th May, 2nd & 9th June 1827


c.1930
c.1930

NEATISHEAD
To be Sold by Auction Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract of which due notice will be given.
A Capital Brick TOWER MILL in full trade etc. four floors, Flour Mill, Cylinder, two pairs of French Stones, beautiful Dwelling, Garden, Barn, Stable etc. The Purchaser can at a very low rent have 8 or 10 acres of rich Arable Land. Possession at any time required as the present occupant has another engagement.
Neatishead is a beautiful Village 9 miles from Norwich, 1 mile from the road to Yarmouth.
Lot 2. A General Shop where an Extensive Trade has been carried on for many years.
Further particulars in next week's papers.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th May 1837

Tower Windmill, Dwelling House and Shop at NEATISHEAD in Norfolk To be Sold by Auction by Wm. Butcher at the Bull Inn, Magdalen Street, Norwich on Saturday June 17, 1837 at 3 o'c.
Lot 1. A good Brick TOWER WINDMILL driving two pair of Stones, with Flour Mill and Cylinder, also a comfortable Dwelling house, Garden and Stable adjoining, situate at Neatishead in Norfolk and now in the occupation of the Proprietor, Mr. Hammond.
The Purchaser of the Mill may be accommodated with 8 to 10 acres of fine Arable Land. near thereto at a moderate rent.
Apply to Mr. Massey, Solr. Watton, Norfolk or Mr. Butcher, Auctioneer, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 10th & 17th June 1837


NEATISHEAD
Tower Windmill
To be Let for a term of years with Immediate Possession.
A good and substantially built Brick Tower Windmill driving two pair of Stones, with Flour Mill, Jumper, Machinery and Going Gears complete, together with a Dwelling house adjoining situate in Neatishead, Norfolk, and now in the occupation of Mr. Hammond.
Neatishead is within a short distance of the Navigation to Yarmouth.
The Tenant can be accommodated with 10 acres of Arable Land if required.
Apply to Mr. Hammond or to Mr. Massey, Solr. Watton.
Norfolk Chronicle - 14th October 1837


Sketch by J.P. Chaplin c.1930
Sketch by J.P. Chaplin c.1930

NEATISHEAD
To be Let From Michaelmas next
A capital Brick Tower Windmill with Dwelling house, Garden, Stable and other Outbuildings adjoining, situate at Neatishead in Norfolk.
Apply to Mr. J. S. Cann, Solr, Wymondham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th September & 12th October 1844


c.1930
c.1930

To be Let
An excellent Brick TOWER WINDMILL situate in Neatishead in Norfolk with Dwelling house, Stables and other Outbuildings. The Mill has two pairs of Stones and has lately been made to wind herself and otherwise improved and put in repair.
Possession may be had at Old Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. J. S. Cann, Solr, Wymondham, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 27th September 1845


NEATISHEAD MILL
Early in October
Capital Pony, Mill Carts and part of HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE of Mr. C. Harris (who is changing his occupation).
Norfolk News - 11th September 1858


NEATISHEAD
To be Let
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL with Dwelling House, Stables and other Outbuildings.
Apply to Mr. J. S. Cann, Solr, Wymondham.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 9th October 1858


NEATISHEAD
Freehold Windmill and dwelling House
S. T. Cann is favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction at The White Horse in Neatishead on Wednesday 11 September 1861 at 4 for 5 o'c
A well built brick TOWER WINDMILL driving two pairs of stones with ample stowage for corn on the basement floor, three Upper Floors (
31st August advert read: A Well built WINDMILL driving two pairs of stones with a Capital Roundhouse) and the requisite machinery for carrying on a lucrative business. Also an excellent brick and tiled Dwelling House ... occupied by Mr. Samuel Grapes, a highly respectable tenant at the annual rent of £35.
NB. Two thirds of the purchase money may (if required) remain on mortgage at 4%.
Particulars of Messrs. Bailey & Howlett, Solrs. Wymondham or of the Auctioneer, Carleton Rode.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 31st August & 7th September 1861


NEATISHEAD
George Stockings has received instructions to Sell by Auction (by order of the Mortgagees) at the Maids Head Hotel, Norwich on Saturday 18 February 1871 at 3 o'c
A well built BRICK TOWER WINDMILL in excellent repair driving two pairs of stones with ample stowage for corn on the Basement floor, three upper floors
and the requisite machinery for doing a good trade. Also an excellent Brick and Tiled Dwelling House ... with a very productive plot of Garden Ground at present occupied by Mr. B. S. Shepherd who will give possession on completion of purchase.
Particulars of Mr. E. C. Bailey, Solr. Surrey Street and the Auctioneer, Rampant Horse Street, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th February & Norfolk News - 4th & 11th February 1871


NEATISHEAD
To Let a Brick TOWER WINDMILL, Dwelling House, Gardens etc. at Neatishead. Rent £14.
Apply to Mr. E. C. Bailey, Solr. Norwich.

Norfolk News - 7th October & Norfolk Chronicle - 14th October 1871


To LET a BRICK TOWER WINDMILL, Dwelling House, Garden etc. at NEATISHEAD.
Apply to Mr. E. C. Bailey, Solr. Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 18th April 1874


Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, an APPRENTICE to work in a Tower Windmill and go out with the Cart sometimes. Must be a steady careful young man.
Apply personally or by letter to Mr. T. Knights, Neatishead, Norfolk. An improver not objected to.

Norfolk News - 6th February 1875


Mill stone floor 1931
Mill stone floor 1931

Mr. Jacob Scarland, who has been in business for 20 years at Neatishead, in Norfolk, having decided to retire, his brick tower windmill with patent sails came to the hammer on the 22nd. ult., and found a buyer in Mr. J. Wisbey at £430, with an extra £50 for an 8 h.p. portable engine.
The Miller - 1st October 1906


... Neatishead, where there is a small tower mill without a gallery (stage) which works regularly in spite of the fact that it has lost two of its four sweeps. A small steam-engine is used as an auxiliary to supply power when there is no wind.
England of the Windmills - S. P. B. Mais - 1931


15th May 1971
15th May 1971

O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

White's 1890: James Scarland, rush collar maker

Kelly's 1892: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1896: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1900: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1904: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1908: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1912: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1916: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1922: William Scarland, sedge collar maker

Kelly's 1925: William Scarland, sedge collar maker


c.1805: Mill built to replace an earlier postmill

March 1817: Mill advertised for sale

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

May 1827: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

White's 1836: William Hammond, corn miller

1837: William Hammond, owner and occupier

May 1837: Mill advertised for sale by auction

October 1837: Mill advertised to be let

c.1840: Mill converted to patent sails and self winding system

Census 1841:
John Fiddy (75) independent
Anne Fiddy (65)
Edmund Fiddy (45) miller
James Fiddy (35)
Sarah Fiddy (12)
All born in Norfolk

September 1844: Mill advertised to be let

1846: Charles Harris, miller

Census 1851:
Charles Harris (29) b.North Walsham, miller, emply 1 man
Rebecca Harris (30) b.North Walsham
Charles E. Harris (4) b.Neatishead
Henry Harris (21) b.Ashmanaugh, journeyman miller (brother of Charles Harris)
Jane Goodson (14) b.Sloley, housemaid 
All living at Three Hammer Common,  Neatishead


White's 1854: Charles Harris, corn miller

1858: Charles Harris, miller

September 1858: Business & household effects of Charles Harris advertised for sale by auction

October 1858: Mill advertised to be let

1861: Samuel Grapes, tenant miller at a rent of £35 per annum

August 1861: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1863: Bower Sparkall Sheppard, miller

White's 1864: Bower S. Shepherd, corn miller

1865: Bower Sparkall Shepherd, miller

1871: Bower Sparkall Shepherd, miller

February 1871: Mill advertised for sale by auction

October 1871: Mill advertised to let at a rent of £14 per annum

1872: Joseph Page, miller

April 1874: Mill advertised to let

1875: Thomas Knights, miller

Kelly's 1879: Thomas Knights, miller

Census 1881:
Thomas Knights (28) b.Swanton Abbott, corn miller
Althea Knights (26) b.Horning
All living at Mill House

White's 1883: Thomas Knights, miller

O.S. map 1885: Windmill

1886: Jacob Scarland, miller

White's 1890: Jacob Scarland, corn miller

Kelly's 1892: Jacob Scarland, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1896: Jacob Scarland, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1900: Jacob Scarland, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1904: Jacob Scarland, miller (wind & steam)

22nd September 1906: Mill sold at auction to Mr. J. Wisbey for £430

1906: James Lockett, miller

Kelly's 1908: James Lockett, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1912: James Lockett, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1916: James Lockett, miller (wind & steam)

c.1920: Mill working with a single pair of double shuttered sails

Kelly's 1922: James Lockett, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1925: James Lockett, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1929: James Lockett, miller (steam)

Philip Unwin photo 24th March 1930: Mill working with a single pair of double shuttered sails & 6 bladed fan

Kelly's 1933: James Lockett, miller (oil)

Kelly's 1937: James Lockett, miller (oil)

1938: James Lockett, miller

1938-1974: Ernest George Blackburn, miller

1949: Mill working using a diesel engine

1971: Mill had recorded as capped with a green roof

1974: Michael Gordon Harvey, miller (grandson of Ernest Blackburn)

1982: Ernest George Blackburn died


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG33961947
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004