Martham
Hemsby Road
postmill
(later)


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills


Martham Hemsby Road post windmill stood a few yards to the northwest of the towermill that was built after a fire seriously damaged the earlier_postmill in 1786. After the postmill was demolished, the roundhouse was used a storehouse by the owners of the towermill.


Here Bane and Wells - two millers dwell,
Of far farm'd notoriety
And if you'd plan - their Arts to scan
Pray enter their society
They are said to be - no more dissimilar
Than honesty and miller are.

A Stranger's Guide to the Polite Village of Martham - 1830


The Tithe Awards of the early 1840s recorded William Crowe was occupier of both the towermill and the postmill and both mills were available for sale together in 1834.


To Millers and others
MARTHAM
To be Sold by Private Contract
All that substantial Brick TOWER_WINDMILL with capacious roundhouse * patent sails and winding apparatus, driving two pair of French stones, flour mill, jumper, smut machine with going gears complete of the best description together with a very commodious and respectable Dwelling house, granary, stables, gig house, cart lodges, piggeries, garden etc. the whole forming one of the most desirable situations in Norfolk in which the Proprietor has carried on an extensive Trade for more than thirty years and spared no expense in improving the Premises which are all in good repair.
The whole is Freehold in a good corn country about eight miles from Yarmouth and within half a mile of the Common Staithe.
N.B. Three fourths of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage if required.
The Purchaser may have the advantage of the Lease of a good Post Mill adjoining the said Premises and also at no very distant period may be accommodated with the Hire or Purchase of about 35 Acres of good Arable and Marsh land lying near the Mills.
Apply personally to Mr. W. Wells on the Premises or to Mr. W. H. Wells, Dilham_Mills.

* A store house built round the base of the mill and called "The roundhouse."

Norfolk Chronicle - 13th September 1834

Tithe map 1842 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1842 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1843
Map, Josh. Manning, Surveyor, Norwich, 1842
Owner: Frederick Bane
Occupier: William Crow

No. 272

Mill & Land

Arable

2a. 0r. 28p.

7/1d Vicar
16/5d to Apprs.


O.S. Map 1888 - 1891
O.S. Map 1888 - 1891
postmill to the northwest and towermill to the southeast
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

The mill was shown on the 1888-91 O.S. map but not on the 1905 map.


c.1786: Earlier mill damaged in serious fire

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Poll Book 1802: James Bane (Bone), miller

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1834: William Wells, owner

13th September 1834: Lease of postmill advertised for sale by private contract along with towermill

1834: James Bane died

1834: James Bane's wife Esther Bane died (two months after James) - daughter Elizabeth then inherited

White's 1836: William Crow, corn miller

1837: Elizabeth Bane died and bequeathed mill to her cousin Frederick Bane, son of late John Bane of Acle

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

Tithe map 1841: Mill and land. William Crow, miller

Census 1841: William Crow (40) miller
Ann Crow (35)
Mary Crow (14); Samuel Crow (12); Harriet Crow (9); James Crow (7); Charles Crow (4)
Jane Crow (3); Ellena Crow (1); Emily Crow (1 mnth)

Tithe Award 1843: Owner: Frederick Bane; Occupier: William Crow

1843: Mill advertised to be let

White's 1845: George Bane, corn miller

1846: George Bane, miller

c.1853: Postmill possibly demolished

O.S. map 1888-91: Windmill (Corn)



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG46511810
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005