Kenninghall
Lopham Road
smockmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Kenninghall Lopham Road smockmill stood on the west side of the North Lopham Road, which was further south than the Chimney_postmill on the same road. In 1828 the mill was using a single pair of patent sails, possiblly in addition to an original pair of common sails to drive 2 pairs of French burr stones.


Mr. Brook's mill set up in Kenninghall June 13th 1823.
Brook's mill Kenninghall repaired April 1828.
2 patent sails set to work at Mr. Brook's mill at Kenninghall about Diss Fair November 1928.

Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham 1804-1838


It was later reported that the mill was using two older, common sails in adddition to the pair of new patent sails. Using the power of canvas comon sails with the control of the shutters of patent sails was quite a popular system used by some older Norfolk millers.


Tithe map 1840
Tithe map 1840
as redrawn by Harry Apling
Chimney mill and Lopham Rd mill to south

Tithe Award 1844
Map by Henry Calver, Surveyor, 1840
Owner: John Nunn
Occupier: do

No. 445

Mill & yard.

Pasture

0a. 1r. 3p.

1/-

Mill shown on the map as a smockmill or a small towermill.


KENNINGHALL, Norfolk
To be Sold or Let with Immediate Possession
A TOWER MILL with a MESSUAGE, Outbuildings & about 4 Acres of Land adjoining, in the occupation of Mr. John Brame.
For further particulars apply to Mr. F. Fowell, Jr., Solicitor, Blo Norton, Harling, Norfolk.

Norfolk News - 11th June 1864


KENNINGHALL, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction by
Messrs. Elliott, Son & Muskett at the Kings Head Inn, North Lopham the latter end of this month or the first week in October
With possession at Michaelmas next, in one Lot
A TOWER WINDMILL with a substantial Brick & Tiled Messuage, Outbuildings& three acres & a half of excellent Land adjoining abutting upon the Road leading from Kenninghall to North Lopham, in the occupation of Mr. Samuel Herring.
Further particulars in future papers & in the meantime of Messrs. Fowell & Son, Solicitors, Blo Norton, Harling.

Norfolk News - 9th September 1865


KENNINGHALL, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction by
Messrs. Elliott, Son & Muskett at the Kings Head Inn, North Lopham on Wednesday September 27, 1865 at 6 for 7 o'c in the Evening in one Lot
A TOWER WINDMILL with substantial Brick & Tiled Messuage, Outbuildings& about 3½ Acres of excellent Land adjoining abutting upon the Road leading from Kenninghall to North Lopham, in the occupation of Mr. Samuel Herring.
Further particulars apply to Messrs. Fowell & Son, Solicitors, Blo Norton, Harling or to the Auctioneers, Thelton, Thrandeston & Diss.

Norfolk News - 16th September 1865


KENNINGHALL, Norfolk
To be Sold or Let with Immediate Possession
A TOWER MILL driving two pairs French Stones, with MESSUAGE, Outbuildings & about 3½ Acres of excellent Land adjoining, in the occupation of Mr. Samuel Herring.
For further particulars apply to Messrs. Fowell & Son, Solicitors, Blo Norton, Harling, Norfolk.

Norfolk News - 21st October 1865


Great storm 3rd August.
North Lopham mill in occupation of W. Womack completely wrecked.

The storm commenced in Kenninghall about midnight and continued
'till nearly four o'clock, blowing at times a perfect hurricane
Diss Express - Friday 8th August 1879


At Kenninghall Heath ... The southern one, a post, belonged to Robert Womack; who had it demolished.
South Norfolk Windmills - H. E. S. Simmons
The Miller - 17th November 1947


Clarence Denny Gillings, Greylag, Heath Road, Quidenham, at L. G. Shaw & Son Ltd. builders, Chimney Mill:-
Site at Townlands Farm. His father, Bertram Gillings used to farm there as tenant of Trustees of Kenninghall Townlands Charities, the owners.

Harry Apling - 17th November 1970


1823: Mill built

1823: William Brook, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

April 1828: Mill underwent repairs

November 1828: Mill started work with 2 patent sails and 2 common sails

1828: William Brook, miller

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

Tithe Award 1844:

1864: John Brame, miller

June 1864: Mill advertised for sale or let

1865: Samuel Herring, miller

September 1865: Mill advertised for sale by auction

October 1865: Mill advertised for sale or let

Kelly's 1879: Robert Womack, miller; & at South Lopham postmill

Sunday 3rd August 1879: Mill wrecked in a storm

White's 1883: Robert Womack, miller; h.South Lopham also at South Lopham postmill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM 03448413

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007