Gt. Yarmouth
Chapel Denes White postmill
No. 7A


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

1812
1812

The White Mill, also known as Hovell's Mill was built to replace an earlier mill on the same site, known as the South_Mill. The mill was the southernmost mill on the Denes and was later moved to North Common and known as Greengrass Mill.
Caption on above photo reads:
Hovel's Mill 1812, Chapel Denes, Gt Yarmouth. Removed to Nth Denes 1850 (Greengrass' Mill)


In 1783 the mill was recorded as having a roundhouse and used common sails to power two pairs of French buhr stones. One pair of 5 ft. stones in the head of the mill and one pair of 4 ft. 6 ins. stones in the tail of the mill along with a boulting mill. At this time a three storey horse mill with a 20 foot wheel was being operated adjacent to the mill house.


By 1822 the mill was recorded as using four double shuttered patent sails and was turned to wind by a six bladed fantail on a tailpole. Along with the two pairs of French buhr stones, the mill also had two flour mills and a jumper.
The roundhouse had two floors and the mill buck had three floors.


In 1770 James Ransome obtained permission to erect posts and rails around his mill in return of making a payment od 6d per annum.


To be SOLD by AUCTION
By Order of the Assignees of Samuel MASON, a Bankrupt
By William SEAMAN
At the Angel Inn in Great Yarmouth on the 3rd Day of July next at 3 0'c in the Afternoon, the following Estates
Lot I.
A DWELLING HOUSE situate on Yarmouth Denes late in the occupation of Samuel MASON, consisting of . . .
Also a Horse Mill adjoining the Dwelling house with a 20 Feet Wheel, three Floors and two full sized Boulting Mills, a Stable for 4 Horses and Hay loft over the same and several convenient Outhouses. These Premises are held by Lease from the Corporation of Great Yarmouth for 40 years, 32 of which will be unexpired at Michaelmas next, subject to the Rent of £4.10s. per annum.
Lot II.
A Freehold POST WINDMILL situate on Yarmouth Denes, late in the Occupation of the said Samuel MASON, consisting of a Brick round House and 4 floors with two Pair of Stones; the Head Stones five Feet and the Tail Stones 4 Feet 6 Inches, with one Boulting Mill, two Suits of Sails and going Geers complete.
Lot III.
Granary . . .
Lot IV.
Freehold Tenement . . .
All the above Premises are in exceeding good repair.
For further Particulars apply to Richard BUSH, Merchant, London, Mr. John PALMER, Merchant, Great Yarmouth, the Assignees or Messrs. PITCHES & LUARD, Solicitors, Sithins Lane, London or Mr. James SAYERS & Mr. William STEWEARD, Attornies, Great Yarmouth.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th, 21st & 28th June 1783



Yarmouth, June 5, 1783
All Persons indebited to the Estate of Samuel MASON & Robert WOODS of Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk, Bankers & Co-Partners, Bankrupts, or to the separate Estate of the said Robert WOODS, are hereby required to pay their respective Debts to Mr. Richard BUSH, Merchant, in London, William FISHER, Esq. & Mr. Samuel BARKER of Yarmouth, the Assignees or to Mr. REYNOLDS or Mr. CLOWES, Attornies in Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 21st & 28th June & 5th July 1783

Notice to Creditors

Yarmouth, June 12, 1783
All Persons indebited to the Estate of Samuel MASON of Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk, Corn Merchant, a Bankrupt, are hereby requested to pay their respective Debts to Mr. Richard BUSH, Merchant, in London or to Mr. John PALMER, Merchant at Yarmouth, the Assignees or Messrs. PITCHES & LUARD, Solrs. Sithins Lane, London
Norfolk Chronicle - 21st & 28th June & 5th July 1783

Notice to Creditors
The Creditors of Samuel MASON of Great Yarmouth in the county of Norfolk, Corn Chandler, are required to meet at the Angel Inn at Great Yarmouth aforesaid on Saturday 13th Day of November next, at 12 o'c noon . . . to make a final Dividend . . .

Norfolk Chronicle - 7th & 14th May 1791


Edward HOVELL
Signatory to Notice re. SACK ASSOCIATION

Norfolk Chronicle - 7th & 14th May 1791


To Millers
To be Sold
A PAIR of good FRENCH STONES 4 ft. 7 ins. Diameter with Irons complete.
Apply to Mr. Thomas HOVELL, Yarmouth

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd May 1801


Sale of Household Goods of
Mr. Thomas HOVELL deceased on the Denes, Yarmouth
Also Horses etc. and various articles used in the milling trade . . .
. . . demands on Estate & Effects of Thomas Hovell . . . to send accounts to Mr. William YOUELL, of Great Yarmouth, merchant.

Norfolk Chronicle - 13th February 1802


POOR RATE 1810
South Midds Ward

1st Quarter from Easter 1810, 3 months at 1s. 2d. in the £ per month. Made 3 July 1810
Landlord: HOVELL, E.
Tenant: HOVELL, James
Rents
Dwelling house
Mill
Stables
Garden
Stock (£75)
TOTAL
£14.
18.
2.
2.
3. 15s.
£39. 15s.
 
3 months Poor Rate
£6 . 19. 1½

POOR RATE 1820
South Wards & Midds

3rd Rate from Lady 1820 at 1s. 8d. per month
Made 19 October 1820
Tenant: HOVEL, James
Rents
Dwelling house
Mill
Mill House
Stable
Garden
Stock (£75 @ 5%)
Total
£12
£18
£8
£2
£2
£3. 15s.
£45. 15s.
 
Rate (@ 5s. in the pound)
£11 . 8. 9

To be Sold by Auction By Mr. PARSON On Tuesday 18 June 1822 At the Angel Inn, Great Yarmouth at 3 o'c
(Unless an acceptable offer be previously made by Private Contract)
A Capital Messuage situate on Yarmouth Denes late the residence of Mr. James HOVELL deceased, with greenhouse, garden, spacious granaries, horse mill, 4-stalled stable, hay house, chaise house, cart shed and other convenient outbuildings, the scite of which buildings, with the ground thereto belonging contains in length from east to west 41 yards, on the north side and 64 yards on the south side, 80 yards on the east side and 93 yards on the west side.
the Messuage contains . . .
Also an excellent Windmill containing five floors, with patent sails, standing on a brick roundhouse, with two pair of French stones (one pair 5 ft. and the other 4 ft. and a half in diameter) and two Flour Mills.

Also a Cottage, brick & tiles, contiguous to the Mill.
The Messuage and Land are holden by Lease from the Corporation of Great Yarmouth for a term of which 44 years were unexpired at Michaelmas last and the Mill and Cottage are Freehold.
The above Premises are in complete repair, within a short distance of the Town and are calculated for the carrying on of an extensive business in the Corn Trade.
Immediate Possession of the House and Land will be given and it is expected that the Purchaser may also obtain early Possession of the Windmill and Cottage.
The House and Mill may be viewed on application to Mrs. HOVELL on the premises.
Apply (if by letter post paid) to Messrs. COCKELL & SPANTON, Solrs. Attleburgh.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th & 15th June 1822


Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction By WM. SEAMAN On Wednesday 2 July 1823 At the Angel Inn, Market Place 12 o'c noon
A Capital FREEHOLD WINDMILL situate on the Denes in Great Yarmouth aforesaid, know by the name White Mill, containing five floors, with patent sails, pair of French stones (one pair 5 ft. and the other 4 ft. and a half in diameter) and two Flour Mills and standing on a nearly new substantial brick roundhouse.

Also a Freehold brick & tiled Cottage, contiguous to the Mill.
The above Mill and Premises are in capital repair and Possession may be had at Michaelmas next.
To view the same apply to Mr. Purdy the Tenant.
Further particulars on application to Mr. John BEART, Solr. Great Yarmouth, if by latter post paid.
Norfolk Chronicle - 21st & 28th June 1823


POOR RATE 1824/25
South Ward

4th Rate from Lady 1824
Made 14 January 1825 at 3s. in the Pound
Occupier: NEWSON, William
Rent
Mill
Stock (£25 @ 5%)
TOTAL
£18
£1. 5s.
£19. 5s.
 
Rate - 3 months at 1s. per month
£2 . 17. 9d

To be Sold or Let
A Very Excellent WINDMILL in good repair, with large Roundhouse, most advantageously situated for trade on the Denes of Great Yarmouth and where a large milling trade has been carried on for many years.
Apply to TOLVER & PRESTON,
Solr. Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 31st January 1829


POOR RATE 1830
South Ward

1st Quarter. 3 months at 1s. 2d. per month.
Made 11 May 1830
Occupier: NEWSON, William
Rents
Mill
Stock
TOTAL
£16.
1. 5s.
£17. 5s
 
3 months Poor Rate
£3 .-. 4½

To Millers
To be Sold by Auction By Walter D. PETTINGILL on Saturday 18 May instant at the Star Tavern, Great Yarmouth at 12 o'c
All that large sized Old Established and well built Freehold POST WINDMILL, Cottages and Stables (late HOVELL'S) situate on the Denes, Great Yarmouth opposite the Theatre Gates.
The Mill has an excellent Roundhouse, is well fitted up and is not subject to any Outgoings except Land Tax and there are good roads to her.

Particulars of Mr. SAYERS, Solr. or to Mr. PETTINGILL, Auctioneer, Great Yarmouth.
2 May, 1833
Norfolk Chronicle - 11th May 1833


On very advantageous Terms
To be SOLD by PRIVATE CONTRACT or LET
A Capital Freehold POST WINDMILL driving two pair of Stones with Brick Roundhouse, small Dwelling house, Stable, Cart Lodge etc. situate on the Denes, near the Theatre Gates, Yarmouth.
Or for Removal to another Situation,
The above described Post Wind Mill with all her going Gear etc.

Apply to Mr. PETTINGILL, Auctioneer, Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 16th November 1833


POOR RATE 1835
South Ward
& Mids.
3rd Rate from Lady Day 1835
Made 10 November 1835 at 1s. 2d. per month
Occupier: BELL, George
Rents
Mill Denes
Stock (£25 @ 5%)
TOTAL
£12
£1. 5s.
£13. 5s.
 
Rate (@ 3s. 6d. in the pound)
£2 . 6. 4½

POOR RATE 1845
Regent Ward

3rd Quarter (Michaelmas - Christmas)
No. 165 Occupier: FREEMAN, Edmund
Owner: SLIPPER, J.
House, Garden, Mill, Cottage, Stable & Gig House
Denes
Estimated Rental
Rateable Value


£100
£80
Rate at 1s. 4d. in the Pound
  £5. 6. 8

YARMOUTH
To be Sold by Auction by PETTINGILL on Wednesday 11 February 1846 at 6 o'c at the Star Inn, Great Yarmouth
A Substantial FREEHOLD POST WINDMILL with Brick Roundhouse, Winding Apparatus, cast iron Shaft and patent Sails, driving two pairs of French Burr Stones, Flour Mill and Going Gear complete.
Cottage . . . Stable, Gig house and large Piece of Ground well fenced in, situate on the Denes in Great Yarmouth and now in the occupation of Mr. James Last.
Large repairs have lately been made on the Property which is in every respect in good order and condition and an extensive Retail Trade appertains to it.
Outgoings Land Tax £1. 19s. 2d.
Apply to Messrs. TOLVER & PRESTON,
Solrs. or the Auctioneer, Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 24th January & 7th February 1846


For Removal. To be Sold by Private Contract
A Substantial POST WINDMILL now standing on the Denes in Great Yarmouth and lately occupied by Mr. LAST, with Winding Apparatus, Iron Shaft, Patent Sails, two pair of French Burr Stones, Flour Mill, Jumper, Straps and going Gear complete.
The Mill has been lately extensively repaired and the Iron Shaft, Brasses and Straps are new and of the best quality.
Apply to Messrs. PETTINGILL or to Messrs. TOLVER & PRESTON,
Solrs. Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 7th March 1846


POOR RATE 1850
Regent Ward

Made 28 June 1850
No. 341 Occupier: MAYERS, Samuel
Owner: BEEVOR (William)
House, Mill, Office, Stables & Gig House
Denes
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value


£38
£28

Rate at 1s. 2d. in the Pound

  £1. 12. 8d

POOR RATE 1850
Regent Ward

Made 3 October 1850
No. 341 Occupier: MAYERS, Samuel
Owner: BEEVOR (William)
House, Office, Stables & Gig House
Denes
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value


£38
£28

Rate at 1s. 6d. in the Pound

  £2. 2s.

No mention of Mill in October Rates, though values the same as in June.
Presume - Mill not valued in June as not in use but awaiting sale and removal. In October mill had been removed and was being re-erected on North Denes as later "Greengrass Mill".

Harry Apling


A road branching off from Regent Road near the Theatre Gate and extending eastward formerly called East Hill Road and now named Albion Road forms a junction with Apsley Road.
Another road also branching off from Regent Road near Theatre Gate extended still further to the south towards a mill called 'HOVELL'S MILL' now demolished . . . It is now called Crown Road.

The open space between Trafalgar Road and Crown Road, long known as the Chapel or St. George's Denes, was in 1866 . . . enclosed and planted at the expense of the Town Council. This park . . . is bounded on the east side by the house and grounds of Isaac Preston, EAS. Adjoining this modern house is an older one of red brick, which was formerly the miller's house, attached to the mill already mentioned, which stood a little further to the east, on the other side of what is now Nelson Road. Mr James Hovell, miller who inhabited this house for many years died in 1822. His widow died in 1829.
The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth, Charles John Palmer - 1875


In 1835 it belonged to George Gabriel Bell, then later 1742 to Edmund Freeman and at its removal to the North Denes in 1850 to HOVELL the miller. . . it's close proximity to St' George's Chapel.
H. B Johnson, The Mercury

N.B. James Hovell died in 1822, so the 1850 incumbent was probably William Beevor.

The next mill to (to no. 6) was Edmund FREEMAN's mill, Crown Place, (late HOVELL's)
Mill stood east of Nelson Road at the rear of 'Haytor', No. 23. (It was said by some when the Greengrass (North Denes) mill was sold in 1907 that it formerly stood at Chapel Denes, Crown Place and removed about 1850.)
H. B. Johnson, Local Windmills, Mercury - January 1928



Street map drawn by Harry Apling
Street map drawn by Harry Apling
Left of the map faces north


1768: Edward Hovell, miller

1770: James Ransome, miller & freehold owner

Bowles map 1775: Windmill

1783: Samuel Mason, miller, & freehold owner, bankrupt

June 1783: Mill, mill house and horse mill advertised for sale by auction

1791: Edward Hovell, miller & freehold owner

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

1801: Thomas Hovell, miller

February 1802: Business effects of Thomas Hovell, deceased, advertised for sale


Poor Rate 1810: James Hovell, tenant miller; Landlord, E. Hovell

1812: James Hovell, miller & freehold owner

1820: James Hovell, miller & freehold owner

1822: James Hovell died

June 1822: Mill and horse mill advertised for sale by auction subsequent to the death of James Hovell

1822: Gallant & Purdy, millers

1823: ? Purdy, tenant miller

June 1823: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1824: William Newson, miller & freehold owner

1825: William Newson, miller & freehold owner

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

January 1829: Mill advertised for sale or let

Poor Rate 1830: William Newson, miller & freehold owner

Cary's map 1832: Windmill

May 1833: Mill advertised for sale by auction

November 1833: Mill advertised for sale by private contract or to be let

Poor Rate 1835: George Gabriel Bell, miller

1836: George Gabriel Bell, miller, Crown Place

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

1839: George Gabriel Bell, miller, Chapel Denes

1840: George Gabriel Bell, miller, Chapel Denes

1842: Edmund Freeman, miller

Poor Rate 1845: Occupier: Edmund Freeman, miller; Owner: J. Slipper

1846: James Last, miller & freehold owner

January 1846: Mill advertised for sale by auction

March 1846: Mill advertised for sale by private contract to be removed

1850: Occupier: Samuel Mayers, miller; Owner: William Beevor - at Southtown High Mill in 1877

1850: Mill buck moved to North Denes to become Greengrass Mill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref. TG52870743
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2014