Gaywood
Almshouse Lane towermill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Almshouse Lane tower windmill was in the Kings Lynn suburb of Gaywood in an area known as Highgate and stood to the southwest of the Homeland_Road_towermill and to the south southeast of Fairstead_postmill. Almshouse Lane was later renamed Tennyson Avenue. The mill was erected on the site of an older postmill.


The 5 storey mill was turned to wind with a fantail. Patent sails powered the stones, flour mill, jumper and other machinery. In 1823, 3 pairs of French burr stones were bing used - one pair 3ft. 8ins., one pair 4ft. and one pair 4ft. 8ins. However, in 1895 the mill had several different sets of stones, although they would not have all been in use at the same time - 2 pairs of 4 ft. 6 ins. and 1 pair of 4 ft. French burr stones along with 3 pairs of new 4 ft. 4 in. Derby Peak stones. There was also A convenience for loading and unloading under the Mill.


In 1823 and again in 1870, the grinding capacity was recorded as:
4 to 5 score of corn per week
4 to 5 score of lasts = 80 to 100 coomb sacks
Thus each of the 3 pairs of stones ground 26 to 33 coombs per week per pair


To Millers & others
To be Sold by Private Contract
All that Freehold brick tower Wind Mill With going gears complete situate in Gaywood in the county of Norfolk, well calculated to carry on an Extensive Trade being within half a mile of the port of King's Lynn, from whence flour may be conveyed to any part of the kingdom.
The mill is a very lofty tower with five floors which will contain 7 or 8 score of corn, with three pairs of French stones 3 ft. 8, 4 ft. & 4 ft. 8 (diameter) with screens complete, winding tackle & patent sails, a most excellent flour chamber, flour mill, machine & jumper; with a convenience for loading & unloading under the Mill, & will grind from 4 to 5 score of corn per week & is considered to be the equal to any one in the county.
Also a capital MESSUAGE ... with a grass pightle & garden part walled-in planted with choice fruit trees, containing one Acre, more or less, with stable, piggeries & other outbuildings thereto belonging.
Part of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage if required.
Apply to Mr. W. Smith on the Premises or to Mr. A. Whiteman, Gayton near Lynn, letters to be post paid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 13th September 1823


To Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract
All that capital Brick TOWER WINDMILL with patent Sails & going geers & furniture complete & in good repair, situate in Alms House Lane in Gaywood in the county of Norfolk & also all that neat & convenient Messuage or Dwelling house & about an acre of land with the garden, stable & other outhouses adjoining the said Mill, now in the occupation of Mr. Branford, who had a Lease of the premises of which three years & a half will be unexpired at Michaelmas.
The buildings are in good repair. The above Estate forms a very pleasant residence (being a short distance from the turnpike road) & from its contiguity to the town of Lynn is very desirable.
All Freehold.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th June & 7th July 1827


To Millers
For Sale With Possession at lady day next
All that capital Brick TOWER WINDMILL with Patent Sails & Going Geers & Furniture complete & in good repair, situate in Almshouse Lane in the parish of Gaywood within half a mile of the town of Lynn.
And also a neat & convenient Messuage or Dwelling house & about one acre of Land with Garden, Stable & other outhouses adjoining the said Mill, now in the occupation of Mr. Branford, who will shew the Premises. All Freehold.
Apply to Mr. William Smith of Brancaster, Miller or to Messrs. Goodwin & Townley, Solrs. Lynn.
The postage of letters to be paid.
Lynn, December 1827.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th & 29th December 1827


To Millers
To be Sold by Auction by R. Cruso at the Dukes Head Inn in Kings Lynn on Tuesday 29 April 1828 at 6 o'c (Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract)
All that capital Brick TOWER WIND-MILL with the going gears complete in Alms House Lane in Gaywood, in the County of Norfolk, within half a mile of the Port of Kings Lynn, together also with an excellent Flour Chamber, & Granaries attached. The Mill contains five floors, drives three pair of French burr stones & has screens complete, winding tackle & patent sails.
Also a neat & convenient Messuage or Dwelling house with a grass pightle & garden partly walled in planted with choice fruit trees, containing about an acre, & stables, piggeries & other outbuildings adjoining the mill. The Dwelling house comprises ...
The buildings are in excellent repair & the whole Estate is Freehold. Immediate Possession may be had.
To view the Estate apply to Mr. Branford on the Premises & for further particulars apply to Messrs. Goodwin & Townley, Solrs. Lynn.
Norfolk Chronicle - 5th April 1828


To Millers
To be SOLD by Private Contract
An excellent Brick TOWER WINDMILL, built within the last 14 years, with a neat & convenient Dwelling house & an one acre of Land adjoining, situate about half a mile from the Town of Lynn. Apply to Messrs. Goodwin & Townley, Solrs. Lynn.
Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd & 10th May 1828


Tithe Award 1839
Map 1838
Owner: John Savory
Occupier: Savory & Cook

No. 142

Windmill, Pightle & Garden

Pasture

0a. 0r. 23p.

£1. 10/-


To Millers & others
To be Sold by Private Contract (in consequence of the Death of the late Tenant)
All that Freehold Brick TOWER WINDMILL with Going Gears complete, situate in Gaywood in the County of Norfolk, well calculated to carry on an extensive Trade, being within half a mile of the Port of King's Lynn, from whence Flour may be conveyed at a trifling expense to any part of the Kingdom. The Mill is a lofty Tower with five Floors, which will contain seven or eight lasts of Corn, with three pairs of French Stones & Screens complete, Winding Tackle & Patent Sails, an excellent Flour Chamber, Horse Mill, Flour Mill & Jumper & will grind from 4 to 5 lasts of Corn per week.

Also a capital Messuage etc.
Part of the Purchase may remain on Mortgage if required.
Apply to Mr. John Platten, Lynn.
Feb. 4, 1841
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th & 27th February 1841


To Journeymen Millers
WANTED, a steady Married Man to take the Management of a TOWER MILL.
No Grist work. Reference required.
Personal application to S. Goddard, Gaywood Mill, Lynn.
Norfolk News - 17th October 1863


John Savory snr. lived at Burnham Overy where his son John owned and ran the watermill at the staithe and the nearby towermill.


GAYWOOD near Kings Lynn
To Millers & others
To be Sold by Auction At the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn, on Tuesday 23 October 1866 By Messrs. Cruso & Son
By Order of the Trustees of the late John Savory, Esq.
All that FREEHOLD BRICK TOWER WIND MILL with going gears complete, situate in Gaywood in the County of Norfolk, well calculated to carry on an extensive trade, being within half a mile of Kings Lynn. The Mill is a lofty Tower with five Floors, which will contain seven or eight Lasts of Corn, with three pairs of French Stones & Screens complete, Winding Tackle, Patent Sails, an excellent Flour Chamber, Horse Mill, Flour Mill & Jumper, together with outside driving apparatus for steam power when required, & will grind from four to five lasts of Corn per week.

Also a capital MESSUAGE
Consisting of a Keeping Room, Parlour, Kitchen, Wash House (with an excellent pump of water), Pantry, Store Room & four Sleeping Rooms, Servant's Room & every other requisite & a Grass Pightle & Garden partly walled in & planted with choicer Fruit Trees, containing One acre, more or less, with Stable, Piggeries & other outbuildings thereto belonging.
Possession can be had on 6th January 1867
Apply to the Auctioneers, Kings Lynn or to

  Messrs. Coulton & Beloe,
October 9 1866 Solicitors, Kings Lynn
Lynn Advertiser - 13th & 20th October 1866 & Norfolk News - 20th October 1866

GAYWOOD near Kings Lynn
To be Sold by Private Contract
(By order of the Trustees of the late John Savory, Esq.)
All that FREEHOLD BRICK TOWER WIND MILL having three pairs of Stones with convenient Dwelling House, Garden & Grass Pightle adjoining & within half a mile of Lynn. A good trade has been carried on for many years.
Part of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage.
Possession on 6th January next. Apply to Mr. John Savory, Burnham Overy
or to Messrs. Coulton & Beloe, Solrs. Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 1st December & Norfolk News - 15th & 22nd December 1866


GAYWOOD MILL, Marsh Lane, Gaywood
W. Earl begs to announce that the above Mill having been put in thorough order is now open & he will be happy to receive orders from the trade or public.
Lynn Advertiser - 31st August 1867


TO BE SOLD BY PRIVATE CONTRACT
A BRICK TOWER WIND MILL driving three pairs of stones with machine & Flour Mill with usual going gear. All are in good repair.
Apply to Mr. W. Earl, Bridge Hotel, Sutton Bridge or at the Mill, Gaywood, Norfolk.

Lynn Advertiser - 5th & 12th February 1870


GAYWOOD near Kings Lynn
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. Cruso & Hawkins
On Tuesday 15 March 1870 at the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn at 3 for 4 o'c in the aftern
oon.
The FREEHOLD BRICK TOWER WIND-MILL with going gear complete, situate in Alms-house Lane, Gaywood & late the property of John Savory, Esq.
Full particular in future papers.
Coulton & Beloe, Solrs. Kings Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 26th February 1870


GAYWOOD near Kings Lynn
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. Cruso & Hawkins
At the Globe Hotel, Kings Lynn on Tuesday March 15, 1870 at 3 for 4 o'c precisely
.
ALL THAT FREEHOLD BRICK TOWER WIND-MILL with going gear complete, situate in Gaywood in the county of Norfolk, well calculated to carry on an extensive Trade being within half a mile of Kings Lynn. The Mill is a lofty tower with five floors, which will contain 7 or 8 lasts of corn; with three pairs of French stones & screens complete, winding tackle & patent sails, an excellent flour chamber, horse mill, flour mill & jumper, together with an outside driving apparatus for steam power when required; & will grind from 4 to 5 lasts of corn per week.
Also a capital DWELLING HOUSE ... & a grass pightle & good garden containing one acre (more or less) with stable & outbuildings. The whole property is in good repair.
Apply to the Auctioneers, Lynn & Downham or to Messrs. Coulton & Beloe, Solrs. Kings Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 5th & 12th March 1870


Smith William Goddard was killed at the age of 42 as a result of falling out of his pony trap and was buried at the Hardwick Road cemetery on 23rd May 1871.


ACCIDENT. 
On Monday last, as Mr. S.W. Goddard, of Norfolk Street, was driving his pony and car home to Lynn, the animal, which Mr. Goddard had just been purchasing, and with whose habits he was not acquainted, whilst at high speed suddenly stopped, pitching Mr. Goddard on the road.  He fell on his head and received rather severe injuries, and up to Thursday night had not spoken.  It is believed, however, that he is progressing favourably.
Lynn Advertiser - 20th May 1871


Lynn News - 27th May 1871
Lynn News - 27th May 1871

NOTICE
All persons indebted to the late Smith William Goddard of Norfolk Street, Lynn & Gaywood, Miller & Corn Factor, at the time of his death are requested to pay the amounts of their respective debts to Walter Goddard of Upwell or to Mrs. Goddard of Norfolk Street, Lynn, widow of the deceased ...

Lynn Advertiser - 27th May 1871


Lynn Advertiser - 27th May 1871
Lynn Advertiser - 27th May 1871

WANTED, a young man as MILLER & to make himself generally useful.
Apply to Mr. F. Peele, Gaywood, Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 11th November 1871


GAYWOOD, KINGS LYNN, Norfolk
To Millers & others
All that Four Sail brick built TOWER MILL driving three pairs of stones, two dressing machines etc. etc. together with the capital DWELLING HOUSE, Outbuildings & Premises & about One acre of Land, situate in Gaywood, near Kings Lynn & now in the occupation of Mr. F. Peele.
Apply to Messrs. Cole & Son, Estate Agents, Long Sutton, Lincolnshire.

Lynn Advertiser - 23rd November 1872


Lost Fox Terrier ...
Mr. John Hannah, Marsh Lane Mill, Gaywood.

Lynn Advertiser - 21st March 1874


A Substantial Freehold Brick built WINDMILL with House, Stables etc. & about three quarters of an acre of Land situate in Marsh Lane, Gaywood, within a quarter of a mile of Kings Lynn.
Apply to Partridge & Co., Solrs. Kings Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 9th September 1876


WINDMILL to be SOLD
A SUBSTANTIAL FREEHOLD BRICK TOWER MILL with patent sails, three pairs French stones, flour & smut dressers, sack tackle & steam gear complete, a comfortable 8-roomed house, Granary, stables, cart sheds, pigsties etc. all in good repair & about three quarters of an acre of Land, situate in Marsh Lane, Gaywood, near Kings Lynn.
Apply to Partridge & Co.., Solrs. Kings Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 16th September 1876


Miller wanted. Unexceptionable references as to character & ability required. Age not to exceed 45.
F. Dickerson, Gaywood, Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 20th & 27th December 1879


To Millers, Bakers & others
Valuable Mill, Dwelling Houise & Land near Lynn
To be Sold by Private Contract
All that Mill, Dwelling House & Pightle situate in Almshouse Lane, Gaywood, within half a mile of Kings Lynn, with the business attached. Possession at Michaelmas.
Part of the purchase money may remain on mortgage.
Apply to EDWD. M. BELOE,

  Solicitor, Lynn
Lynn, 21 August 1877
Lynn Advertiser - 25th August 1877

1881 map
1881 map with Almshouse Lane postmill shown lower centre right

O.S. Map 1888 - 1890
O.S. Map 1888 - 1890 with Almshouse Lane towermill shown centre bottom
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

Thursday next
To Millers, Wheelwrights & others
Sale of Milling Machinery & Gearing at the Mill, Almshouse Lane, Kings Lynn
Five minutes walk from the Railway
Messrs. Cruso & Wilkin
Have received instructions from Mr. Fountain Dickerson in consequence of the alterations, to Sell by Auction on the above premises on Thursday August 8, 1895 all the
MACHINERY & MILLING GEAR
Including 4 mill sails with shades etc. complete, set of wind-gear with fan, posts & gearing, 4 pine clamps
24 ft. long, 2 pairs of 4 ft. 6 ins. French burr stones, 1 pair of 4 ft. ditto, 3 pairs of 4 ft. 4 in. Derby peak ditto, new, 3 sets of driving gear & spindle complete, 3 pairs of standards, 2 lengths of 5 in. shafting, plummer blocks & brasses complete, set of governors, 2 sets of 4 ft. 6 in. casings with hoppers complete, weighing beam, iron crane, capital cart frame & quantity of sundries.
Sale to commence at 2 o'c punctually.
Offices - Market Place, Kings Lynn.
Lynn Advertiser - 3rd August 1895


Marsh Lane, Gaywood,
Valuable Mill Property,
Dwelling House & Granaries
Messrs. Miles & Son
Are instructed to Sell by Auction on Thursday 23 September 1897 at the Globe hotel, Kings Lynn, at 6 for 7 o'c in the evening all that VALUABLE ESTATE
Situate in Marsh Lane, Gaywood, Kings Lynn comprising a fine built tower Windmill carrying three pairs of stones with inside gear & machinery complete & all recently fitted new.
Also a Dwelling house attached with ...
The outside buildings comprise roomy stables, three stalls and loose box, large cart sheds with granaries over, also three large piggeries attached. There is a building, quite new, intended for a steam mill with foundations laid.
In front is a grass pightle filled with fruit trees, abutting on the Marsh Lane & at the rear is a large square garden, well stocked & in good cultivation.
The Marsh Lane is drained & lighted by the Corporation of Kings Lynn & building is rapidly progressing in the neighbourhood.
The whole stands on about an acre of ground & is now in the occupation of Mr. F. Dickerson, the owner.
Possession at Michaelmas.
For further particulars apply to the Auctioneers, Athenaem Chambers. Kings Lynn or to

 

Messrs. Beloe & Beloe,
Solicitors Kings Lynn
Lynn Advertiser - 17th September 1897

Mill ikn Tennyson Avenue - the Mill House still stands with the roof shaped to clear the sails.
Letter from H. V. Warnes of Kings Lynn to Philip Unwin - 2nd December 1972


Part of the old mill house still stands but the present Mill House was built on to it in 1912. There is, however, a gap between the two roofs.
Harry Apling - July 1975


Unallocated millers:

1830: John Thompson


White's 1854: John Frost
White's 1854: ? Pridgeon

1856: John Frost

1858: Charles Docking
1858: George William Robinson


White's 1883: John Hannah, baker, Highgate, Kings Lynn

Kelly's 1908: William Tinker, farmer


1815: Mill built as a replacement for the earlier postmill

1815: William Smith, miller

Poll book 1817: Robert Cotton, miller

Poll Book 1818: William Turner, miller (also recorded in 1802 & 1806)

1823: William Smith, miller

September 1823: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1827: ? Brandford, miller

June 1827: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

December 1827: Mill advertised for sale

April 1828: Mill advertised for sale by auction

May 1828: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

White's 1836: Francis Cook, corn miller

Tithe Award 1839:
Owner: John Savory; Occupier: Savory & Cook

1840:
Savory & Cook, millers

February 1841: Mill advertised for sale by private contract due to the death of the tenant miller 27th

White's 1845: Matthew Tennant, corn miller (also at Fairstead postmill)

1846: Matthew Tennant, corn miller (also at Fairstead postmill)

1850: Tennant & Savory, miller (also at Fairstead postmill)

1853: Matthew Tennant, corn miller (also at Fairstead postmill)

1863: Smith William Goddard, miller

September 1863: John Savory snr of Burnham Overy died aged 62

White's 1864: Smith William Goddard, corn miller

October 1866: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with a horse mill and steam facilities

December 1866: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

1867: Mill renovated

1867: William Earl, owner & miller

1868: William Earl, owner; Smith William Goddard, tenant miller

February 1870: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

February 1870: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Census 1871: Smith William Goddard (42) b.Cambs., miller
Matilda A Goddard (44) b.Norfolk
Fanny E. Goddard (19) b.Norfolk
John W. S. Goddard (16) b.Norfolk
Annie M. Goddard (14) b.Norfolk
Rose A. Goddard (13) b.Norfolk
Horace M. Goddard (11) b.Norfolk
Albert S. Goddard (9) b.Norfolk
Arthur V. S. Goddard (6) b.Norfolk
Herbert S. Goddard (4) b.Norfolk
Address: Norfolk Street, St. Margaret, Kings Lynn

1871: William Smith Goddard, miller, was killed as a reesult of falling out of his pony trap and died aged 42

May 1871: Personal & business effects of Smith William Goddard adsvertised for sale by auction

1871: Frank Peele, miller

1872: Frank Peele, miller

November 1872: Mill advertised for sale or let

1874: John Hannah, miller

1875: Hannah & Cross, millers

September 1876: Mill advertised for sale

August 1877: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

Kelly's 1879: Hannah & Cross, millers & bakers

1879: Fountain Dickerson, miller

Map 1881: Mill

Census 1881: Fountain Dickerson, corn factor, clerk & miller (corn) employing 3 labourers

O.S. map 1888-1890: Windmill (corn)

1895: Fountain Dickerson, miller

August 1895: Mill machinery advertised for sale by auction due to refit

Kelly's 1896: William Tinker, miller (wind) farmer & baker

1897: Fountain Dickerson, miller and owner

September 1897: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Kelly's 1900: William Tinker, miller (wind) baker, farmer & corn & flour dealer, Gaywood mill

Kelly's 1904: William Tinker, baker & farmer, Gaywood mill

1975: Eric Rivett, Mill House, Tennyson Avenue

2006: Mill House Vetinary Centre



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF62722027
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006