East Wretham towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

17th May 1980
17th May 1980

East Wretham towermill was advertised as newly erected in 1875, although several millers were recorded in the village prior to that date and maps show a windmill on or close to the site as far back as at least 1826. The 4 storey mill was about 32 feet high and built of red brick with a vertically boarded domed cap. The sails powered 2 pairs of French burr stones.


WRETHAM
To LET With Possession at Michaelmas next
A small compact and newly erected Brick Tower WINDMILL driving two pairs of French stones, close to the Wretham Railway Station upon the Thetford to Watton Line, together with about 14 acres of Arable and Pasture Land, Dwelling house, Barn and other Outbuildings.
A good home trade to be done.
Apply to Mr. Thomas Fisher Salter, Attleboro Hall, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th August 1875


Houses etc.
To be Let. With Possession at Michaelmas next

A SMALL compact and newly erected BRICK TOWER WINDMILL driving Two Pairs of French Stones, close to the Wretham Railway Station upon the Thetford and Watton Line, together with about 14 Acres of Arable and Pasture LAND, DWELLING HOUSE, Barn and other Outbuildings. A good Home Trade to be done.
For Rent and Particulars apply to Mr. Thomas Fisher Salter, Attleborough Hall, Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 28th August 1875

Edmund Land, who was miller in 1878 was previously at Stow Bedon smockmill in 1875 and was also recorded at Carbrooke postmill from 1836 - 1846.


The mill was converted to residential use around 1950-51 by Frank Brown who owned the village shop. At the time of conversion the mill had only one stock and one sail with 8 bays of 3 shutters. The walls were two feet thick and a circular staicase led to the upper rooms.


 
Sale particulars 1983

c.1990 c.1990
c.1990
c.1990

My husband and I purchased the windmill at East Wretham in June 1984 for £37,000. We lived there until 2000. In that time we built on a new kitchen, new bathroom, put a pitched roof on the extension and installed oil fired central heating. We also converted the old pig sties to stables, built a new stable block and post and railed the paddocks. During our time there we bought adjoining land - approx 8 acres from Manor Farm. We sold the windmill in 2000 for £200,000.
Sylvia Balaam 11th July 2009


O. S. Map 1882

O. S. Map 1882
Towermill is lower left and the mill house of the watermill is marked 158
Courtesy of NLS map images


1875: Mill newly erected

August 1875: Mill advertised to be let

1878: Edmund Land, miller, previously at Carbrooke Mill Lane postmill and Stow Bedon smockmill

1st January 1880:
Walter William Wiggett (miller) and his wife Emma had their daughter Ellen Emma baptised at nearby Hockham

Census 1881: Walter Weggett (27) b.East Wretham, miller & farmer of 15 acres employing 1 boy
Emma Weggett (22) b.Shipdham
Ellen Weggett (1) b.Hockham
Address: Mill House

O.S. map 1883: Windmill

White's 1883: Walter Littleproud, miller and farmer, Wretham mill

White's 1890: Walter Littleproud, miller and farmer, Wretham mill

1926: Mill derelict

Karl Wood painting 1936: Mill tower with cap frame & windshaft, part of one pair of derelict sails & brake wheel

1949: Mill tower only

1958: Mill converted to residential use by Frank Brown

O.S. map 1968: Windmill

1971: Frank Brown, mill owner

1971: Arthur Bussey, Mill House, tenant

1972: Albert & Alice Martin

O.S. map 1974: Windmill

May 1983: Mill advertised for sale by Charles Hawkins & Sons for £43,000

June 1984: Mill bought for £37,000 by John & Sylvia Balaam

2000: Mill sold for £200,000

2000: David Dixon, The Windmill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL 92519057
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004