East Wretham
Mill
tributary of River Thet



c.2000
c.2000

East Wretham watermill at Stone Bridge, ceased working possibly as early as c.1845 and very little appears to be known of it. The wheel was on the gable end wall and was possibly external. The main walls are some two feet thick and incline inwards.


The room to the inside of the gable wall has a heavy beam with redundant joints and was almost almost certainly used to support machinery. The next room along contains ovens that are larger than would have been built for domestic use and it thus appears that the establishment was probably run as a mill and bakery.


It would appear that the mill, having remained unused for some time, was converted into a house by Frank Brown who ran the village shop.


Tithe Award 1842
Map - HOPCROFT, SON & HEMINGWAY, 1811 copied by Wm Drane, 1840
Owner: Rev. Wyrly Birch
Occupiers: do & others
Enclosures numbered 2 in various parts of the parish being Farm, Houses, Cottages, Buildings and Land (including a Mill near Stone Bridge) totalling 2758a. 1r 8p.
The mill mentioned could have been the windmill


O. S. Map 1882

O. S. Map 1882
The mill house is marked 158 and towermill is lower left
Courtesy of NLS map images


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Faden's map 1797: Mill

White's 1836: Henry Ovington, corn miller,
Stone Bridge

Census 1841: Henry Ovington, b.1794, miller & farmer. Address: Stone Bridge

White's 1845: Henry Ovington, corn miller,
Stone Bridge

Census 1851: Henry Ovington, b.1794, miller & farmer

White's 1854: Henry Ovington, corn miller,
Stone Bridge

White's 1864: William Ovington, miller & farmer,
Stone Bridge

c.1870: Mill ceased working

2004: Private residence


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL 92619068
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004