East Rudham postmill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

1893
1893

East Rudham postmill stood to the southwest of the village on the Common within a few hundred yards of the source of the River Wensum. The mill had a two storey roundhouse that stood on an 8 foot mound, the roundhouse having a loading door just under the eaves. The mill was powered by and four double shuttered patent sails, each with 5 bays of 3 shutters and 1 bay of 4 shutters on the outer side. The sails ran 2 pairs of French burr stones, a flour mill and jumper. A gallery was set around the eaves of the buck.
A bakehouse was also run from the mill site and by 1896 wind power was being supplemented by steam power.
The above photo was taken by the Frenchman H. Corbierre.


To Millers & Bakers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A most desirable Situation for the above Trades consisting of a capital POST-WINDMILL (almost new) with roundhouse under it, capable of containing from 15 to 20 lasts of wheat, now in full trade with two pairs of French stones, flour mill with jumper for cleaning offals and all other going gears complete. Also a substantial and convenient brick tiled Dwelling house with large baking office attached and granary over it forty feet long by sixteen wide, cart lodge and piggeries together with a large garden well planted, yard and pightle together containing about one acre. The above premises are all freehold and in most excellent repair and are situated at East Rudham in the county of Norfolk, a good corn country near the markets of Lynn, Fakenham and Wells and possess an unlimited right over the valuable and extensive common of East Rudham aforesaid.
Apply (if by letter post paid) to Mr. John Raven, the proprietor on the premises.
Possession may be had at Lady day next.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th January, 3rd & 10th February 1816


Robert Kerrison was recorded as journeyman miller in the 1851 census, was the nephew of Adam Kerrison, the owner of Lt_Snoring_open_trestle_postmill. In the 1841 census Robert Kerrison was working as a baker in Gt Snoring.


WANTED, a steady man as Miller; one that can do Baking occasionally if required.
Apply to John Frost, East Rudham Mills, Swaffham.
Lynn Advertiser - 8th & 15th September 1883


To be Sold by Private Contract
All those capital Wind and Steam Flour Mills situate at East Rudham, about 1 mile from the Rudham Railway Station, together with good dwelling house, bake house and outbuildings, now in full trade. Also a small piece of Pasture Land adjoining, the whole about one acre
Apply to Mr. John Frost, East Rudham, the owner & occupier or to Coulton & Son, Solrs. Lynn. .
Lynn Advertiser - 8th & 15th May 1886


To Journeymen Millers
Wanted, a trustworthy steady man to work a wind mill and drive an engine occasionally; good references required.
Also a steady honest man as Journeyman Baker; one used to a country trade preferred.
Apply to John Frost, Rudham Mills, Swaffham.
Lynn Advertiser - 28th September & 5th October 1889


Baking & Milling Business. In-door Apprentice wanted at once.
Apply to G. H. King, East Rudham Mills, Swaffham.
Lynn Advertiser - 9th & 16th August 1890


Man wanted as a Miller & Baker.
Apply to G. King, East Rudham Mills, Swaffham.
Lynn Advertiser - 6th December 1890


c.1900
c.1900

The above photo was taken by Gordon Ackborn.


District News - East Rudham
DAMAGE BY LIGHTNING. During the thunderstorm of 24th June Rudham Mill was struck by lightning, one sail being damaged and a window broken. Fortunately no one was near the mill at the time, so that no further harm was done.
Lynn Advertiser - 2nd July 1909


O. S. Map 1885
O. S. Map 1885
Courtesy of NLS map images

O.S. Map 1891
O.S. Map 1891
Mill centre bottom
Courtesy of NLS map images

The foundations of the roundhouse and the four piers on their artificial mound recorded as about 8 feet high in the 1970s, had all been removed by 1980. The mill site was then in a ploughed field to the rear of the mill house.


c.1815: Mill built

1816: John Raven, miller

January 1816: Mill advertised for sale

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1836: Windmill

White's 1836: J. Raven, miller & baker

Census 1841:

 

 

James Kerrison (40) journeyman millwright
Elizabeth Kerrison (35)
Susan Kerrison (9)
Emma Kerrison (6)
James Kerrison (4) (died in 1850 aged 13)
George Kerrison (2)
Address: High Street

White's 1845: J. Raven, miller & baker

Census 1851: John Raven (67) b.Burnham Overy, miller & farmer of 46 acres employing 1 labourer
Elizabeth Raven (65) b.Shernborne
Mary Daplyn (20) b.Binham, house servant
Robert Crane (30) b.East Rudham, baker


Robert Kerrison (50)  b.Whighton, journeyman miller
Sarah Kerrison (48) b.Blakeney
Robert Kerrison (21) b.Hindringham, smith
Pleasance Kerrison (16) b.East Rudham, field work
Adam Kerrison (14) b.Great Snoring, miller
Sarah Kerrison (12) b.Great Snoring
Lucy Kerrison (9) b.Great Snoring
Eliza Kerrison (7) b.East Rudham

White's 1854: John Raven, baker & corn miller

White's 1864: John Frost, baker & miller

Kelly's 1879: John Frost, baker & corn
miller

White's 1883: John Frost, miller & baker

O.S. map 1885: Windmill

1889: John Frost, miller & baker

1890: George King, miller

Kelly's 1892: George King, miller (wind)

c.1894: Auxiliary steam power installed

Kelly's 1896: George Henry King, baker & miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1900: Josiah Goodwin, baker & miller (wind & steam)


Kelly's 1904: Josiah Goodwin (Mrs.), baker & miller (wind & steam)


Kelly's 1908: Charles Woodard, baker & miller (wind & steam)


24th June 1909: Mill struck by lightning

c.1910: Mill ceased working

Kelly's 1912: Charles Woodard, baker

O.S. map 1955: Mill mound only

1980: All traces of mill including foundations removed by this date



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF 82482783
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004