Little Snoring
open trestle
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1895
c.1895

Although just in the parish of Little Snoring the mill was often known as Great Snoring mill and stood just to the south of that village. The mill was was described as newly erected in 1808 and was an open trestle mill, not having a roundhouse. At that time the sails powered a single pair of French burr stones and a flour mill. In 1895 two pairs of stones were powered by one pair of common sails and one pair of patent sails but from around 1900 this had been reduced to a single pair of double shuttered patent sails. The mill was turned to wind by an 8 bladed fan on a tailpole with tandem wheels.


The mill buck had a full width porch with a leanto roof and side balconies.


In 1876 the wooden windshaft broke through the poll; it was replaced by an iron windshaft. The brakewheel was 7ft. 8ins. in diameter and speed was controlled by trailing governors.


c.1910
c.1910

The 1851 census recorded Ann Southgate (58) b.Gt Snoring, farmer's wife; Ann Southgate was the daughter of millwright, Adam Kerrison who was the owner of the mill as declared in his will of 1835. In 1851, Ann Southgate's son William was running the mill, which she presumably still owned.


A YOUNG MAN as an APPRENTICE to a MILLER.
Apply personally or by letter post paid to Robert Preston, Great Snoring, Norfolk.

Norfolk Chronicle - 19th October 1805


To be Sold with immediate possession if required.
A new erected POST WINDMILL with one pair of French stones, flour mill and going gears compleat, situate in Great Snoring, Norfolk.
Also a House, garden and outbuildings situate in Snoring aforesaid, very convenient for the mill.
Enquire of Mr. Robt. Preston, the proprietor, on the premises.

Norfolk Chronicle - 30th April & 7th May 1808


To be Sold by Auction On Friday 8 July 1808 Between the hours of 2 & 5 o'c At the public house known by the sign of the Unicorn in Great Snoring, in the county of Norfolk.
A new erected POST WINDMILL with capital French stones, regulators, flour mill and all the going gears complete, situate in Snoring aforesaid; also about half an acre of land, more or less, it stands upon; also a messuage or tenement and garden very convenient for the said mill.
Norfolk Chronicle - 25th June 1808


A desirable Situation for a Miller & Baker
To be Sold by Auction At the Crown Inn in Fakenham On Thursday September 22, 1808 between the hours of 5 & 7 in the afternoon.
A new erected POST WINDMILL with capital French stones, regulators, flour mill and all the going gears complete, situate in Snoring aforesaid; also about half an acre of land, more or less, it stands upon; also a messuage or tenement and garden very convenient for the said mill.
Apply to Mr. Robert Preston, proprietor, on the premises.
Part of the purchase money may remain on the Estate if required.
Possession to be had at Michaelmas, October 11, 1808.
Norfolk Chronicle - 17th September 1808


To be Sold by Auction By THOS. PLATTEN On Wednesday March 29 1809 between the hours of 2 & 4 in the afternoon At the public house known by the sign of the Unicorn in Great Snoring in Norfolk.
A Capital POST WINDMILL in full trade with all the going geers complete, with half an acre of land, more or less, it stands upon, situate at Snoring in Norfolk; Also a House with conveniences being very convenient for the mill.
For price and particulars apply on the premises. Part of the money may remain on the estate if required. Possession to be had immediately or at Michaelmas next. The stones will be separate the day of the sale.
Norfolk Chronicle - 25th March 1809


Commission of Bankrupt awarded and issued forth against John Amerson of Great Snoring, Miller ... declared a Bankrupt ... to surrender 25th July next ...
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th June 1814


Watercolour by J.P. Chaplin c.1920
Watercolour by J. P. Chaplin c.1920

To Millers
To be Sold by Auction by Samuel Tuttle At the Lion Inn, Fakenham, Norfolk on Thursday 13 April 1826 at 5 o'c
A Desirable ESTATE at Great Snoring in Norfolk, in two Lots
Lot 1. A POST WIND MILL near the town with a dwelling house adjoining the mill, granaries, stable, shed and other conveniences all in excellent repair and copyhold, fine certain. Also a quarter of an acre of freehold land adjoining the above and abutting on the public road, well adapted for building purposes.
Lot 2. A Cottage and Garden in the town of Great Snoring in the occupation of ... Bullock, Copyhold fine certain. The outgoings are extremely low.
Apply personally or by letters (postage paid) to the Auctioneer at Fakenham or to Mr. Peter Day, Solr. Upper Market, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st & 8th April 1826


To Millers and Millwrights
To be Sold CHEAP
A Secondhand Set of Patent Sails
Apply personally (or by letter post paid)
To Mr. Kerrison, Great Snoring, near Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th May 1833


c.1925
c.1925

Sale by Butcher & Bowler
Royal Hotel, Norwich, Saturday 24 February 1872
The Manor or Lordship of Great Snoring with its Rights and Royalties attached.
Farms etc. and Windmill
Lynn Advertiser - 20th & 27th January & 3rd, 10th & 17th February 1872


Barney and Little Snoring
Dwellinghouses, cottages and land and Great Snoring, post windmill, property of the late John Barnes and Adam Kerrison.

Norfolk Record Office - 1873


GREAT & LITTLE SNORING
To be sold by Auction by Messrs. Ireland at the Crown Inn, Fakenham, Norfolk, on Thursday 7 August 1873 at 4 for 5 o'c by direction of the surviving Trustees for Sale under the Will of Adam Kerrison, deceased.
Lot 3. In Little Snoring
A capital POST WINDMILL driving two pairs of Stones, Flour Mill and Jumpers with Brick and Tiled Cottages, Sheds, Garden and Pightle of ARABLE LAND the whole containing 0a. 2r. 36p. adjoining the road to Great Snoring and occupied by Clement Docking and W. Bussey.
Freehold.
Apply to Messrs. Kent, Watson, & Watson, Solrs, Fakenham or to the Auctioneers at their offices Wood Dalling, Guestwick and Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 26th July & 2nd August 1873


20th May 1981
20th May 1981

Curiously, for a mill not having a roundhouse, remains of the mill were still visible in 1981, although the whole site was fast becoming overgrown with vegetation. The collapsed trestle and main post were still visible along with 4 red brick piers about 30" high and capped with a stone slab.


In 1970 the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society identified beams and stones as being the centre post and four supports for the trestles.


O. S. Map 1885

O. S. Map 1885
Courtesy of NLS map images


O.S. Map 2008
O.S. Map 2008
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

1810: ? Kerrison, millwright

Cebsus 1841:

 

 

James Kerrison (40) journeyman millwright
Elizabeth Kerrison (35)
Susan Kerrison (9)
Emma Kerrison (6)
James Kerrison (4) (died in 1850 aged 13)
George Kerrison (2)
Address: High Street

Census 1851: James Kerrison (49) b.Wighton, millwright
Census 1851: Charles Southgate (31)
b.Gt Snoring, millwright
Census 1851: Clement Docking
(30) b.Gt Snoring, millwright


White's 1854: Charles Southgate
jnr millwright
White's 1854: William Southgate jnr horse breaker


White's 1864: Charles Southgate jnr millwright
White's 1864: Ro
bert Southgate, coach painter & trimmer, & victualler, Three Tuns
White's 18
6
4: William Southgate, horsebreaker

Kelly's 1879: Clement Docking, baker

White's 1883: William Docking, farmer

Kelly's 1922: C
harles Docking, blacksmith (Gt Snoring)

Kelly's 1925: Charles Docking, blacksmith (Gt Snoring)


1805: Robert Preston, miller

1808: Robert Preston, miller

April 1808: Mill advertised for sale and described as
new built

June & September 1808: Mill advertised for sale by auction

March 1809: Mill advertised for sale by auction

June 1814: John Amerson, miller reported as bankrupt

Bryant's map 1826: Snoring Mill

April 1826: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1833: Adam Kerrison, owner

Will 1835: Adam Kerrison, millwright, owner of the mill as declared in his will

White's 1836: Charles Southgate, millwright & miller

Census 1841:
Charles Southgate (50) miller
Ann Southgate (45) - actual owner of the mill as legatee.
Mary Southgate (18)
William Southgate (16)
Frederick Southgate (14)
Catherine Southgate (12)
Anna Southgate 10)
Susanna Southgate (8)

White's 1845: Charles Southgate, millwright & miller

1846: Charles Southgate, miller

Census 1851: William Southgate (24) b.Gt Snoring, miller
Matilda Southgate (20) b.Lt Snoring, grocer
William E. Southgate (1) b.Gt Snoring
Susan Caulsey (14) b.Gt Snoring, domestic servant
Address: Walsingham Road

1853: William Southgate, miller

White's 1854: William Southgate, corn miller

White's 1864: William Southgate, miller, baker & shopkeeper

6th February 1865: Charles Southgate died aged 75 and was buried in Gt Snoring churchyard

1872: William Southgate, miller

February 1872: Mill and estate advertised for sale by auction

1873: Mill advertised for sale as
property of the late John Barnes and Adam Kerrison

July 1873: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1876: Wooden windshaft broke through the poll while mill running

1878: Clement Docking, miller

White's 1883: Clement Docking, miller & baker

5th June 1888: William Southgate died aged 56 and was buried in Gt Snoring churchyard

White's 1890: Clement Docking, miller & baker

O.S. map 1891: Snoring Windmill (Corn)

1892: George Southgate, miller

Kelly's 1892: Clement Docking, baker & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Clement Docking, baker & miller (wind)

c.1900: Mill using a single pair of sails

Census 1901: George Southgate (35) b.Gt Snoring, miller (tenant)
Alice Southgate (34) b.Corpusty
Herbert Southgate (6) b.Gt Snoring

Kelly's 1912: William Docking, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1916: William Docking, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1922: William Docking, miller (wind)

1924: Mill still almost complete

1926: Fantail and the roof gone

1930: Mill buck blew over

28th January 1935: William Docking died aged 82 and was buried in Gt Snoring churchyard

Karl Wood painting 1937: Mill post and substructure still standing

1949: Mill demolished

1971: Broken down mill substructure remaining

16th November 1979: E. Rose identified the centre post and stone supports lying on the site in a wood

27th April 1992:
David Gurney visited the site and found a very large tree-covered mound, with three blocks of masonry and two beams on top

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF94923377
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004