East Rudham postmill
(early)


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


East Rudham postmill stood to the southwest of the village on the Common within a few hundred yards of the source of the River Wensum. The mill was an open trestle mill. A bakehouse was also run from the mill site.


The sails powered a single pair of French burr stones and a boulting mill


BARGAIN & SALE of a windmill in East Rudham 17 March 1609
by Callibut Wallpoole and John Thompson
to Sir Michael Stanhope
for a 'certain sum of money'
Raynham Hall Collection


Sir Michael Stanhope's sister Jane married Roger Townsend, the builder of Raynham Hall.


EAST RUDHAM
To be Sold
A WINDMILL with a pair of French Stones, Boulting Mill to dress with the wind; a good dwelling house, bake house, a range of cottages with stable, hay, cart and hogs house, with a pightle of land contiguous, adjoining a large common - the above premises are well worth the attention of a Miller and Baker the present occupier having carried on a full trade for more than 30 years.
Possession may be had at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Seppings of Southacre, Norfolk.

Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd & 10th April 1802


EAST RUDHAM
To be Let
A WINDMILL and BAKING OFFICE in full trade, for a term of years and entered upon at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Seppings, Southacre.

Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd July 1802


March 1609: Mill advertised for sale

Faden's map 1797: Mill

Poll Book 1802: William Smith, miller

April 1802: Mill advertised for sale

July 1802: Mill advertised to be let

c.1815: Mill replaced by a new postmill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF82492785
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004