Diss
Rose Lane
composite mill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

1845 advert
1845 advert

Diss Rose Lane composite mill consisted of a postmill buck mounted on the base of an earlier towermill that had been built to supply power to an adjacent coarse yarn spinning factory. The postmill had been badly damaged and possibly destroyed during a storm in 1834 and it was decided to combine two mill structures to make one corn mill. The towermill was therefore reduced to 3 storeys to allow a postmill buck to be mounted on top. The 4 double shuttered sails of the postmill, turned to the wind by a fantail, ran two pairs of 4ft French burr stones and a flour mill. The mill stood to the north of the Mill House.

When the site was offered for sale by auction in 1896, the adjacent four storey steam mill was using a 14 h.p. steam engine with a 20 h.p. boiler to power a further 4 pairs of 4ft French burr stones.

Diss Parish Registers record the following:
1822 Feb 7 William s of Wm. & Ann Chaplin, Miller. 
1826 Sept 16  Mary Ann d of William & Ann Chaplin, miller.
1831  July 3.  Sarah Emma d of William & Ann Chaplyn,  miller.

The only child with this couple in the 1841 census is Sarah Emma named as Emma

Diss Parish Records
POOR RATE 1836
Made 26 September 1836 at 1s. in the pound
No. 69





No. 70





No. 71
Occupier
Owner
House & Lands
Assessed at
Rate at 1s.

Occupier
Owner
Mill
Assessed at
Rate at 1s.

Occupier
Owner
Mill
Assessed at
Rate at 1s.
William Chaplin
Himself
The Common
£5. 15s.
5s. 9d.

William Chaplin
Himself
The Common
£12
12s.

William Chaplin
Himself
The Common
£1. 5s. 2
1s. 3d.

1838 Tithe Map
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1837
Map 1838
Owner: William Chaplyn
Occupier: do

No. 1051

House, mill & land

Pasture

0a. 3r. 33p.

12/6d

Shown as a smock mill on a 2 storey brick base

Re manufacture of hempen cloth, huckaback sheeting & shirting:-
...as late as 1838 ... there was a factory for spinning coarse yarns, set in motion by a windmill (in Victoria Road, now Lincoln's)

Waveney Studies - E. Pursehouse, October 1960

Diss Parish Records
POOR RATE 1864
Made 24 November 1864 at 9d. in the pound
No. 141







No. 40
Occupier
Owner
House, Mills, Garden
1a. 3r. 31p.
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d.

Occupier
Owner
Shop 1p.
Gross extimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d.
John W. Sayer
William Chaplyn

Victoria Road
£56
£38
£1. 8. 6

John W. Sayer
William Grear
Market Place
£5
£4
3s.

August 1912 flood
Rose Lane composite mill & Stuston Road smockmill during the flood in August 1912

Diss Parish Records
POOR RATE 1864
Made 24 November 1864 at 9d. in the pound
No. 281







No. 29




No. 30





No. 31
Occupier
Owner
House, Premises &
1a. 2r. 36p.
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d. in the pound

Land 46a. 2r. 0p.
Gross extimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d.

Malting, Yard &
0a. 1r. 23p.
Gross extimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d.

Granary & Stables,
Railway Station 24p
Gross extimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d.
William Chaplyn
Himself

Victoria Road
£20
£16
£ 12s.

Victoria Road
£82
£78
£2. 18. 6


Victoria Road
£60
£47
£1. 15. 3



£20
£15
11. 3d.

c.1915
c.1915

Situations Vacant
To Millers
Wanted immediately, a Married Man (without family) to work a small STEAM & WINDMILL.
A House to live in; the woman to wait upon a Single Gentleman. Good reference required.
Apply Y.Z., Railway Tavern, Diss.

Norfolk News - 3rd October 1868

Situations Vacant
WANTED, a Single Man as JOURNEYMAN MILLER, of sober habits & a GOOD WORKMAN.
Apply TO J. W. Sayer, Diss.

Norfolk News - 31st October 1868

John Button, Miller & Merchant, Victoria Rd., Diss, begs to acknowledge the increased patronage received during the past eighteen years by the inhabitants of Diss and its neighbourhood, and wishes to inform them he has Enlarged his Business by taking
The Victoria Steam and Wind Mills
Also the
Shop in the Market Place
Late in the occupation of Mr. J. W. Sayer, where a first-class stock of every kind of
Corn, Flour, Meal, Offal, Malt and Hops
Will be Always on hand.
Wholesale and Retail
Coals of all kinds kept in stock.
Agent for W. Blackmre & Co.'s Patent Bolting Cloths for Dressing flour
Steam Thrashing Machine Proprietor.
Diss Express - 26th June 1874

Situations Vacant
To Journeymen Millers
WANTED immediately, two MEN of good character, must thoroughly understand the Business, to work Steam & Wind Mills & make themselves generally useful.
Apply J. Button, Victoria Mills, Diss, Norfolk.

Norfolk News - 15th August 1874

Situations Vacant
To Journeymen Millers
Wanted, a steady experienced Man as STONEMAN & to make himself generally useful in the business. A Cottage on the premises. Apply at once to Mr. Button, Victoria Mills, Diss, Norfolk.

Norfolk News - 13th November 1875

INDENTURE
Osborn Tippell of Stuston, Farmer
to Henry Pike of Hoxne, Farmer & John Button of Diss, Miller, for benefit of Creditors of Osborn Tippell.
Norfolk Chronicle - 20th March 1880

Valuable mercantile & residential Properties comprising an excellent Steam & Flour Mill, Post Windmill, four capital Maltings with Barley Stores above & Maltsters houses adjoining, three pleasantly situated Dwelling houses with Gardens, Stables & Outbuildings attached, five Cottages & valuable piece of Building Land situate in the Victoria Road, Diss.
Also an excellent Brick Tower Windmill situate on Billingford Common.
Salter & Simpson are favoured with instructions from the executors of the late Mr. William Chaplyn to Sell by Auction at the Kings Head Hotel, Diss on Tuesday 21 June 1881 at 3 for 4 o’c in six Lots the above valuable Properties.
Lot 3. The Brick & Tiled Steam Flour Mill containing four floors with excellent 14 horse power engine & new fitted 20 horse boiler driving four pairs of 4 ft. French Burr Stones with Flour mill & all necessary gearing.
The Four-sail Post Windmill with brick roundhouse driving two pairs of Stones, Flour mill & gearing complete. The above are in the occupation of Mr. William Button.
Lot 4. Residence. 0a. 1r .32p. Victoria Road in occupation of Mr. Button.
Lot 6. In Billingford
A substantial built brick Tower Windmill containing five floors etc… Also Bake office, Stable & Cart shed attached situate on Billingford common now in the occupation of Mr. William Button.
Possession of all Lots may be had at Michaelmas next.
Particulars of Mr. T.W. Salmon, Solr. Diss or the Auctioneers, Attleborough.
Diss Express - 6th May to 10th June 1881


Diss & Billingford
Salter & Simpson are favoured with instructions from the Executors of the late Mr. William Chaplyn to Sell by Auction at the Kings Head Hotel, Diss On Tuesday June 21, 1881 at 3 for 4 o’c in Six Lots as follows:- IN DISS
Lot 1. DWELLING HOUSE, Victoria road, Diss …
Lot 2. White Brick & Slated RESIDENCE …
Lot 3. Brick & Tiled STEAM FLOUR MILL containing four Floors with excellent 14 horse power Engine & new fitted 20 horse Boiler, driving four pairs of 4 ft. French Burr Stones, with Flour Mill & all necessary gearing. The Four Sail POST WINDMILL with Brick Roundhouse, driving two pairs of Stones, Flour Mill & Gearing complete, Stable, Harness & Hayhouses, Cart Lodge, Granary & Loose Box.
The above are in the occupation of Mr. William Button.
Also two MALTINGS.
Also DOUBLE TENEMENT.
Lot 4 RESIDENCE in Victoria Road in the occupation of Mr. Button.
Lot 5. BUILDING LAND.
The above Properties are most advantageously situate within a short distance of the Railway Station & the rapidly improving Town of Diss. A lucrative Malting & Milling Trade has been carried on for many years & an unusual opportunity is afforded to those seeking a Mercantile Business or a safe investment for Capital.
IN BILLINGFORD
Lot 6. A substantially built Brick TOWER WINDMILL containing five floors, driving two pairs of stones & all requisite gearing for wind or steam power; also a Bake Office, Stable & Cartshed attached, situate on Billingford Common, now in the occupation of Mr. William Button.
Possession of all the Lots may be had at Michaelmas next.
Particulars of Mr. T. W. Salmon, Solr. Diss or the Auctioneers, Attleborough & Bury St. Edmunds.
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th May & 4th June 1881


To be sold or let, the Victoria Steam and Wind Mills, situated at Diss, containing six pairs of stones, flour machines and other gearing, now in full trade, the present tenant having hired a larger mill. Possession at Michalemas next. Further particulars of W. F. Chaplyn, Diss.
The Miller - 2nd October 1882

O.S. Map 1890
O.S. Map 1890 - Diss Victoria Rd towermill west of railway line, Rose Lane composite mill at Malthouses & Sandy Lane postmill top right
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

Diss, Norfolk
Sale of MERCANTILE & COTTAGE PROPERTY & LAND comprising all that Brick & Tiled Steam Flour Mill containing Four Floors, with 14 horse power Engine & 20 horse power Boiler, driving Four Pairs of 4 ft. French Stones, Flour Mill & Gearing.
The POST WINDMILL with Brick Round House, driving Two Pairs of 4 ft. French Stones, Flour Mill & Gearing, Stables, Harness & Hay-house, Cart lodge, Granary & Loose Box.
Also … MALTINGS … COTTAGES … Meadow Land, the whole containing 1a.0r.5p. & most advantageously situate near the Victoria Road & in close proximity to the Railway Station.
IN FERSFIELD … LAND …
W.E. Chaplyn has received instructions from the Executors of the late Mr. Wm. Chaplyn to Sell by Auction at the Kings Head Hotel, Diss on Friday 28 August, 1896 at 4 for 5 o’c in the Afternoon.
Further Particulars of Messrs. Geo. Lyus & Sons, Solrs. Diss & of the Auctioneer, Diss.

Norfolk Chronicle - 15th & 22nd August 1896

On the 28th ult. Mr. W. E. Chaplyn brought to the hammer at Diss a steam flour mill of four floors, with a 14h.p. engine and 20h.p. boiler, driving 4 pairs of 4 ft. French stones, with a Post Windmill driving two pairs of 4ft. stones, formerly carried on by the late Mr. William Chaplyn, but this property had to be withdrawn.
The Miller - 7th September 1896

Diss mills c.1915
3 mills on Stuston Common c.1915
The above photograph shows the army from Diss Camp 51 about to give a demonstration with Maxim machine guns on Stuston Common with several civilians looking on. Diss smockmill is to the right, the steam chimney and Rose Lane composite mill to the left of centre and the sails of Victoria Road towermill are just visible on the left horizon above the back of the horse.

Farther down Victoria Road, in Rose Lane, formerly stood two windmills, both marked on the 1837 Ordnance Survey Map. One, a tower-mill, was built to supply power to a factory spinning coarse yarns, but was later converted and adapted by taking the brickwork down to the third storey, and mounting the body of an old post-mill on top, making for a most unusual structure. It stood on a mound in the yard of Bartrums, and was in the Chaplyn family for generations. The old post-mill had been shattered during a sharp tempest on July 31st 1834, and William Chaplyn, miller, maltster, corn and coal merchant, accordingly decided to combine the two mills into one. This would appear to have worked very successfully , and the business eventually passed to Albert, his grandson, who had the mill pulled down after the First World War. The brickwork remained until demolished by the Lincoln family about 1935, and the mound on which it stood was only removed some two years ago.
Diss Antiquarian Society News Sheet - Spring 1973

Joseph Hodskinson's Suffolk map 1783: Windmill

1830: William Chaplyn, miller

1834: Towermill used to power a cloth factory

31st July 1834: Postmill severely damaged during a storm

Poor Rate 1836: Owner & Occupier: William Chaplyn, miller

White's 1836: William Chaplyn, corn miller

O.S. map 1837: Two windmills

Tithe Award 1837: William Chaplyn, owner & occupier

White's 1836: William Chaplyn, corn miller

Census 1841:
William Chaplyn (40) miller
Ann Chaplyn (30)
Emma Chaplyn (9)
William Chaplyn (2)
Selena Chaplyn (4 mths)
Mary Branch (20) servant
Robert Pyke (35) malster
Philip Jolly (19) apprentice

William Fitt (25) miller
Louisa Fitt (25)
Thomas Welham (5)
Jane Fitt (4)
Robert Fitt (2)
Address: Late Common

1850: William Chaplyn, miller

Census 1851:

John W. Sayer (35) b.Bilney, miller & merchant
Ann Sayer (37) b.Westfield
Sarah Ann Sayer (9) b.Norwich, scholar
Maria Sayer (7) b.Norwich, scholar
Jane Ann Sayer (6) b.Norwich, scholar
Eliza Mary Sayer (5) b.Norwich, scholar
Susanna E. Sayer (3) b.Norwich, scholar
Harriot Alice Sayer (1) b.Norwich
Elizabeth Harman (20) b.Rockland, servant
Robert Browne (21) b.Norwich, miller
John Barnard (53) b.Gt Ellingham, farmer
Address: Norwich Road

William Sparkes (23) b.Maldon, Essex, miller
Maria Sparkes (20) b.Wortham, Suffolk
Adah Bobby (9) b.Wortham, Suffolk, scholar (female visitor)
Address: Norwich Road

White's 1854: John W. Sayer, corn miller

1858: William Chaplyn, owner; also owner of Billingford postmill

Poor Rate 1864: Owner: William Chaplyn; Occupier: John W. Sayer, miller

White's 1864: John W. Sayer, corn miller, Victoria Road

1868: John Watling Sayer, miller

1872: John Watling Sayer, miller

1874: John Button, miller took over the business of John Sayer

1875: John Button, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1879:
John Button, miller, corn & coal merchant; agent for W. & H. M. Goulding's celebrated manures, Dublin & Cork, W. Blackmore & Co.'s patent boulting cloths for dressing flour, Victoria mills

1880: John Button, miller

1881: William Chaplyn died (owner)

1881: William Button, miller

May 1881: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with Billingford towermill

October 1882: Mill advertised for sale or let

White's 1883:
John Button & Wiliam Edward Button, millers, corn & Coal merchants & thrashing machine owners, Victoria rd & at Weybread

1883: William Edward Chaplyn, miller (wind & steam)

O.S. map 1886: Windmill

1888: William Frederick Chaplyn, miller, farmer & merchant

Kelly's 1892: William Frederick Chaplyn, miller, malster, corn, coal & cake merchant & farmer, Victoria Road

August 1896: Mill offered for sale by auction but was withdrawn

Kelly's 1896: William Frederick Chaplyn, miller (wind) & farmer, Victoria Road

Diss Almanack 1898: Albert Chaplyn & Co. Millers, Merchants & Maltsters

Kelly's 1900: Albert Chaplyn & Co., millers (wind & steam) & corn merchants, Victoria Road & corn dealers, Market Place

Kelly's 1904: Albert Chaplyn & Co., millers (wind & steam), corn merchants & furniture removers, Victoria Road & corn dealers, Market Place

Kelly's 1912: Albert Chaplyn & Co., millers, coal, corn, cake & manure merchants & farmers, furniture removers & carting contractors & brick makers, Victoria Road (T N 9) & corn dealers, St Nicholas Street

Kelly's 1916: Albert Chaplyn & Co., millers, coal, corn, cake & manure merchants, maltsters & farmers, furniture removers & carting contractors & brick makers, Victoria Road (T N 9) & corn dealers, St Nicholas Street

c.1919: Mill demolished

O.S. map 1920: Windmill

Kelly's 1922: Albert Chaplyn & Co., millers, coal, corn, maltsters & farmers, furniture removers & carting contractors, Victoria Road (T N 8) & corn dealers, St Nicholas Street

Kelly's 1925: Albert Chaplyn & Co. (exors. of) millers, coal, corn & farmers, furniture removers & carting contractors, Victoria Road (T N 8) & corn dealers, St Nicholas Street

1928: William Horace Lincoln jnr took over the roller mills

Kelly's 1929: William Horace Lincoln, miller & corn merchant, Victoria mills, Victoria road

Kelly's 1933: William Horace Lincoln, miller & corn merchant, Victoria mills, Victoria road. T N 79

Kelly's 1937: William Horace Lincoln, miller & corn merchant, Victoria mills, Victoria road. T N 79

c.1971: Mill mound removed



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM12757910
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006