Attleborough
Hargham Road postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Attleborough Hargham Road postmill stood to the southwest of the town on the Hargham Road, however in 1839 it would appear that this was known as Rivet's Lane. In 1853 the mill was constructed above a roundhouse and had one pair of common sails and one pair of patent sails driving two pairs of French burr stones. An auxiliary steam engine had been installed by 1888.

French burr stones, being of high quality are normally used for grinding wheat to flour and in October 1863 the mill was described as doing a good trade in grist.

William Littleproud snr was born in 1762 and baptised on 14th November in Attleborough. The 1841 census lists him aged 80, living with his son, William jnr, who was then a farmer.
The 1861 census lists William Littleproud jnr as a master miller living in Mill Road with his wife Elizabeth and several children including William jnr jnr who was born c.1815.
William Litleproud jnr jnr was listed as farmer's son in the 1841 census. He married Mary Ann Green and had at least 3 children, Veridien, William and Elizabeth. William jnr jnr died before 1861, as in the census of that year, his widow Mary Ann Littleproud describes herself as a Miller’s Widow, living in Mill Road, with her daughter Viridien.

William Littleproud snr probably had a brother James, who was born in 1770 and baptised in Attleborough.
James Littleproud became the miller at Shipdham Mill Road postmill and also had Cranworth smockmill that his son Robert took over some time before 1836.


1815 Enclosure Award Map at Greenland, Houchen & Co. (Solicitors) Attleborough.
Mill – W. Littleproud.


Tithe Award 1839
Map, J. Easton, Surveyor, Old Buckenham, 1838
Owner: William Littleproud
Occupier: William Harris

No. 404 House, mill & yard 0a. 1r. 0p. 2/6d

To Millers, Merchants, Capitalists & others
Attleborough
George W. Salter is favoured with instructions to Offer for Sale by Auction at the New Inn, Attleborough on Thursday 7 July 1853 at 6 o’c
All that capital POST WINDMILL & Roundhouse well situated for trade having 2 spring & 2 common Sails & driving 2 pairs of French Stones with requisite Going Gears in perfect order.
Also a substantially built brick & tiled Dwelling house …
Also Stable, gig house, cart lodge, piggeries & other requisite outbuildings with yard, garden & the site of mill containing in the whole now in the occupation of Mr. John Sayer, a highly responsible tenant who has carried on a good trade for many years. Freehold & Tithe Free. Land Tax redeemed.
Geo. W. S. begs respectfully to draw the attention of Millers, Merchants, Capitalists & others to the Sale of this Property which possesses many local advantages being well situated for trade in a populous & fine corn district & within easy access of the Attleborough & Eccles Stations of the Norfolk Railway & abutting upon the road leading from the town of Attleborough to Hargham.
Apply to Mr. Henry Ling, Solr. St. Giles, Norwich or the Auctioneer at his offices Attleborough.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th & 25th June 1853 (Sale of 2nd July postponed)


To Millers
TO LET with possession at Michaelmas next
A POST WINDMILL with good roundhouse, driving two pair of French Stones, now in full trade, situate in Attleborough, Norfolk.
Apply to Samuel Wells, Auctioneer etc., Attleborough.

Norfolk News - 19th September 1863

To Millers
To be Let with Immediate Possession
A POST WINDMILL driving two pair of French Stones with Round House etc., a good Dwelling house & outbuildings attached, situate in Attleborough, which to the present time has been doing a good grist trade.
Apply S. WELLS, Attleborough, Norfolk.

Norfolk News - 17th October 1863

Situations Vacant
To Millers
WANTED immediately a Young Man as JOURNEYMAN.
Apply to Mr. T. Button, Attleborough Mills.

Norfolk News - 8th December 1866

Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, a MAN to Work a POST MILL.
Apply to SPARROT & MYHILL, Attleborough
Norfolk News - 1st November 1873

O.S. Map 1884 - 1890
O.S. Map 1884 - 1890
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

1813: William Littleproud snr, miller

Enclosure Award map 1815: Mill - W. Littleproud snr

Attleborough baptisms register 1813-22: William Littleproud, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

1830: William Harris, miller

White's 1836: William Harris, corn miller

Tithe Award 1839: Owner, William Littleproud jnr; Occupier, William Harris

White's 1845: William Harris, corn miller

1845: William Harris, miller

1850: John Sayer, miller


Census 1851:

John Sayer (57) b.Shropham, master miller employing 1 man

Sarah Sayer (57) b.Gressenhall
John Browne (24) b.Besthorpe, journeyman miller


1853: John Sayer, miller (tenant)

June 1853: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1854: John Sayer, corn miller

Craven's 1856: William Simmons, miller

1858: William Simmons, miller

September 1863: Mill advertised to be let

1863: Thomas Button, miller

White's 1864: Thomas Button, miller

1866: Thomas Button, miller

1868: Thomas Button, miller

1873: Sparrot & Myhill, millers

1875: Sparrot & Myhill, millers

White's 1883: William Ketteringham jnr, miller & gardener

O.S. map 1884-90: Windmill (disused) also Mill Cottage

1888: William Ketteringham jnr, miller (wind & steam)

c.1890: Mill ceased to operate

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM04359460
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006