Attleborough
Great Mill smockmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Attleborough Great Mill was a six storey smockmill that was erected in 1804 and stood beween Connaught Plain and the High Street, which in those days was the London Road. The mill was built to replace an earlier postmill on the same site. When built in 1804 the mill used two pairs of common sails drawing 10 yards of cloth to power 2 pairs of 4ft 6ins and 1 pair of 4ft French burr stones and a flour mill. The stage was set 22 ffet above ground level and the mill was self winding via a fantail. In 1836, 2 pairs of stones were advertised in the sale particulars and by the time the mill ceased to operate in 1861, 4 pairs were listed.

Unusually, the mill was built with a horse mill on the ground floor and by 1832 a baking office was being run on the same site.

To Millers
To be Sold by Auction Early in next month, unless previously disposed of by private contract.
A Very desirable ESTATE pleasantly situate in the Town Street in Attleburgh in Norfolk, comprising a capital new-erected town built Windmill containing six floors, two pair of French stones of 4 ½ feet & one pair of 4 feet, cylinder & flour mill complete – the ground floor contains a horse mill appendant to flour mill, winds herself, draws 10 yards of cloth, the stage 22 feet from the ground, the whole fitted up in the most complete manner & in excellent repair. A brick & tiled Dwelling house, replete with every convenience, granary, stables, cart sheds, piggeries, yards & garden, with suitable offices, in excellent condition; with about two acres of Land adjoining. Possession of the whole may be had at Michaelmas. Land-tax redeemed - All freehold, except one acre of land, and has unlimited rights on the rich commons of Attleburgh aforesaid.
N.B. The purchaser may be accomodated with the hire of about 8 acres of land.
The reason why Mr. Stevens sells the above is, he has taken a large business in the farming line.
For particulars apply to Mr. S. N. Stevens, the proprietor, or of Mr. N. Lock, Millwright, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 7th, 14th & 21st July 1804


To be Sold by Auction By WM. PARSON On Thursday 9 August at 4 o’c
At the Bear in Attleburgh, Norfolk.
A Very desirable ESTATE pleasantly situate in the Town Street in Attleburgh in Norfolk, comprising a capital new-erected town built Windmill containing six floors, two pair of French stones of 4 ½ feet & one pair of 4 feet, cylinder & flour mill complete – the ground floor contains a horse mill appendant to flour mill, winds herself, draws 10 yards of cloth, the stage 22 feet from the ground, the whole fitted up in the most complete manner & in excellent repair. A brick & tiled Dwelling house, replete with every convenience, granary, stables, cart sheds, piggeries, yards & garden, with suitable offices, in excellent condition; with about two acres of Land adjoining. Possession of the whole may be had at Michaelmas.
?????????? All Freehold except one acre of land & has ????
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th July & 4th August 1804


To Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL nearly new, containing six floors, three pairs of French stones, flour mill, with horse mill annexed, cylinder & going gears complete, with two acres of land, a good Dwelling House, granaries, stables etc. adjoining. The premises are freehold except one acre of the land & have a right of extensive commonage.
Also the lease of 18 acres of arable land, barn, baking office & two Cottages of which 9 years will be unexpired at next Michaelmas. The above premises are at Attleburgh in the county of Norfolk & are peculiarly adapted for an extensive trade in a good corn country within 14 miles of Norwich, 5 of Wymondham, 7 of Harling, 10 of Watton & 13 of Thetford.
Immediate Possession may be had if required.
Apply to Mr. Cockell, Attorney, Attleborough.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th May, 6th & 13th June 1807


On Saturday 3 October 1807 at 4 o’c at the Star in the Old Haymarket, Norwich
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL … (as in June)
Apply to Mr. W. Harmer of Attleburgh who will shew the premises.
Norfolk Chronicle - 29th & 26th September & 3rd October 1807


To Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL nearly new, containing six floors, three pair of French stones flour mills & going gears complete, with two acres of land, a good dwelling house, granaries etc. adjoining. The premises are freehold. A purchaser may be accommodated with a small Farm on lease.
The above premises are well adapted for an extensive trade in a good corn country, within a few miles of Norwich.
If preferred, the mill will be sold separately for removal.

For further particulars apply to the printers.
Norfolk Chronicle - 24th June 1809

The creditors of Mr. ROBERT BRADFIELD of Attleburgh in the county of Norfolk, Miller, are requested to meet at the Cock Inn at Attleburgh aforesaid n Wednesday 6 th of this instant February by 11 o’c in the forenoon, when & where a statement of his affairs will be produced for their consideration.
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th January 1811


A Commission of Bankrupt awarded & issued forth against Robert Bradfiled of Attleburgh, Miller, dealer & chapman … & he being declared a Bankrupt …
To surrender … 11 March next …
Norfolk Chronicle - 2nd & 9th March 1811


To be Sold by Auction By Wm. Parson On Thursday 4 April 1811 at 3 o’c At the Cock Inn, Attleburgh in Norfolk
By order of the Assignees of Mr. Robt. Bradfield, a Bankrupt
Several valuable ESTATES situate at Attleburgh aforesaid in the following Lots
Lot 1. A Capital Tower Windmill with three pair of French Stones & all the going gears which are in excellent condition, together with a large yard, stables, cart lodge etc.
Lot 2. A good brick & tiled Dwelling house with baking office, granary, cart lodge, stable & cow house.
Lot 3. An excellent Dwelling house late in the ?
Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd & 30th March 1811


Robert Bradfield's Bankruptcy
The Commissioners in a Commission of Bankrupt awarded & issued forth against Robert Bradfield of Attleburgh, Miller … to meet Tuesday 9th April instant …
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th April 1811


Commissioners in a Commission of Bankrupt hearing date 12 February 1811 awarded & issued forth against Robert Bradfield of Attleburgh, miller, dealer & chapman, to meet 30 November instant to make dividend.
Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd November 1811


Commission of Bankrupt awarded & issued forth against
Joseph Cooper late of Attleburgh, Miller, dealer & chapman & he being declared & Bankrupt …
To surrender 15 April next ...
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th April 1816


An auction took place on 15th February 1821, for the Executors of Jonathan Cooper.
The mill was in occupation of Charles May.
The reserve was set at £480, and the lot was subsequently withdrawn at £360.
Later that year, in September, the mill was auctioned again and the reserve was set at £400, again the Lot was withdrawn, this time at £300.


To Millers & Bakers To be Let Together or Separate
A Substantial TOWER WIND MILL with three pair of Stones & Going Gears complete, a good Dwelling house, Miller’s cottage, barn, stable, sheds, yard, gardens & Paddock.
A Baking office adjoining the above with a good Dwelling house thereto.
The whole forming an Eligible Situation for a Miller & Baker or for either trades separately.
The above are situate in the center of the Market Town of Attleborough 15 miles from the city of Norwich on the turnpike road from thence to London.
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th January 1832


To be Let and entered upon at Old Michaelmas next. An excellent Wood Tower Mill, with two pair of excellent stones, winds herself; also a good house, Cottage, Garden, Granary, Barn, Stable and other Outbuildings, with 14 acres of good arable land in a ring fence. For particulars apply to Mr. William Miles, Saddler, Attleborough.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st October 1836


1838 Tithe Award map redrawn by Harry Apling
1838 Tithe Award map redrawn by Harry Apling

TITHE AWARD, 1838
Map, J. Easton, Surveyor, Old Buckenham, 1838
Owner: John Mann
Occupiers: John Mann & others

No. 213 Cottages, mill yard & garden Arable

Attleborough
To Millers & Bakers. To be Sold or Let with Immediate Possession if required.
A capital TOWER WINDMILL in full trade with Baking office & substantial Dwelling house, Miller’s Cottage, Barn, Stable & necessary Outbuildings with about 2 acres of Land.
The above Property is in the centre of the Market Town of Attleborough situate on the Turnpike Road from Norwich to London.
Enquire at the Post Office, Attleborough.
Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd & 29th January 1842


To Millwrights, Millers & others
Attleborough
Salter & Simpson are instructed by Mrs. Wright to Sell by Auction without reserve on Thursday November 28, 1861 the MATERIALS & MACHINERY of the TOWER MILL lately standing in the town, which has been taken down & divided into lots & comprise head & spur wheels, wallower, upright & wind shafts, four pairs of French stones with stone nuts, regulators, bridging pots, brasses, boards etc. complete, two flour mills, jumper, sack tackling, jigger, bins, spouts etc. beams, sills, ties & floor boards, griper & winding tackle springs, tackle & cloths for sails, cap & boarded tower which can easily be rebuilt, sack chain, mill bills, staffs sack barrows, beam scales & weights etc; also several dozen hurdles & a lot of firewood.
Sale to commence at 12 o’c.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 16th & 23rd November 1861


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

1804: Mill built by Nathaniel Lock, millwright, to replace earlier postmill on the same site

1804: S.N. Stevens, miller

July 1804: Mill and horse mill advertised for sale by auction

1807: Horse mill also operating on the premises

May 1807: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

October 1807: Mill advertised for sale by auction

June 1809: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

March 1811: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1811: Robert Bradfield, miller

1811: Robert Bradfield, bankrupt

1816: Joseph Cooper, bankrupt

1821: Charles May, miller

February 1821: Mill sold at auction for the Executors of Jonathan Cooper but failed to meet its reserve

September 1821: Mill sold at auction but failed to meet its reserve

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1826: John Mann, miller

January 1832: Mill advertised to be let

White's 1836: John Mann, corn miller

October 1836: Mill advertised to be let

January 1842: Mill advertised for sale or let

White's 1845: John Mann, corn miller & Shropham

White's 1854: John Wright corn miller

1861: Mill demolished

November 1861: Mill machinery and contents advertised for sale

1971: Mill House owned by Mr. Brighton, chemist, High Street

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM04609523
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006