Nathaniel Lock
millwright


Return to Millwrights page


Nathaniel Lock -1779 to 1819

Nathaniel Lock was in business by 1779. He had a post mill for sale in in August 1790 and again on
4th September 1790.

To be SOLD
And Entered upon at Lady Day next
A POST WINDMILL in good Repair and well situated for Business, at POSTWICK, within four Miles of Norwich.
For Particulars apply to Mr. Nathaniel Lock, St. Johns Maddermarket Of whom also may be had a Horse Wheel, 19 Feet Diameter, a seven Feet Cogg Wheel, three Paint Mills and a Colour Stones.
N.B. A neat House to Lett opposite the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital. Enquire as above.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18t & 25th March 1786


To be SOLD
A POST WIND-MILL, in very good repair,
Enquire of Nathaniel Lock Millwright, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th August 1790 & 4th September 1790

Journeyman MILLWRIGHTS Wanted.
Good Hands, by applying from this time to NATHANIEL LOCK, Millwright, Norwich, may have a winter's work.
TO BE SOLD
French Burr Stones and Plaster, also a Marsh Mill, to Drain Fifty Acres of Land, and Four Pair of Sash Frames and Shutters compleat.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th August 1792

TO BE SOLD
A Post WINDMILL, within seven miles of Norwich. For Particulars enquire of Mr. Nathaniel Lock, millwright, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd September 1792

TO MILLERS
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION,
By WILLIAM BURT,
On Saturday, the 18th of April, at the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich, at Three o'clock, unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract, A large and very substantial POST WINDMILL, with two pair of French Stones &c. A large Round House under the same, double floor.
To be removed at the expence of the purchaser.
Enquiry to be made of Nathaniel Lock, Millwright, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 28th March 1801

Nathaniel Lock was listed in Peck's Directory of 1802 as being a carpenter and millwright at 41, Wymer Street. He built a smock mill at Attleborough in 1804. This large mill was for sale in August of that year. The mill was later known as the Great Mill and had a tower in the region of 50 feet to the curb.

TO MILLERS
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION,
Early in next month, unless previously disposed of by Private Contract,
A very desirable ESTATE, pleasantly situate in the Town-street, in Attleburgh, in Norfolk; comprising a capital new-erected tower built Windmill, containing 6 floors, two pairs of French Stones, of 4½ feet, and one pair 4 feet, cylinder and flour mill complete. - the ground floor contains a horse-wheel, appendant to flour mill, winds herself, draws 10 yards of cloth, the stage 22 feet from the ground, the whole fitted up in the most complete manner, and in excellent repair. - A brick and tiled Dwelling-house, replete with every convenience, granary, stables, cart-sheds, piggeries, yards and garden, with suitable offices, in excellent condition, with about two acres of land adjoining.
Possession of the whole may be had at Michaelmas. Land-tax redeemed - All freehold, except one acre of land, and has unlimited rights on the rich commons of Attleburgh aforesaid.
N.B. The purchaser may be accomodated with the hire of about 8 acres of land.
The reason why Mr. Stevens sells the above is, he has taken a large business in the farming line.
For particulars apply to Mr. S. N. Stevens, the proprietor, or of Mr. N. Lock, Millwright, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 21st July 1804

In 1810 Nathaniel Lock built a drainage mill at Neatishead for Colonel Thomas Preston of Burlingham Hall. The mill was probably the one that stood to the north of Ludham Bridge, on the west bank of the river Ant -
grid reference TG 365 176.

Nathaniel Lock charged a total of £226 10s 0d for building this small mill.The tower would appear to be only some 20 feet to the curb (16 feet for the upright shaft plus 4 feet for half the diameter of the pit wheel). Also of note is the all-wooden machinery, Cow-pop gearing to the upright shaft and the relatively small cross section of the stocks. The mill would have been turned to wind by a hand wheel and had four common sails.

Nathaniel Lock had at least three daughters, one of whom was married on the 23rd February 1813.
MARRIED.
Tuesday last, Mr. R. De Carle, Stone-mason, of St. John's Maddermarket, to Miss Locke, daughter of Mr. Locke, Millwright, of St. Andrew's.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th February 1813

He built a drainage towermill at Barsham, Suffolk in 1815. It stood at grid reference TM 399 911 and a stump remained in the 1930's. However there was some dispute about the mill and he appeared in Court in March 1816, charged with perjury.
SUFFOLK ASSIZES
The King, on the prosecution of Matthew Kerrison v. Nathaniel Lock, -- This was an indictment for supposed perjury committed by the defendant, who is a respectable engineer & Millwright, on his examination before the Commissioners of Sewers for the Barsham Level, in Suffolk; and after a patient hearing of all the prosecutors witnesses for six hours, and calling one witness only on the part of the defendant, the Jury, which was special (the indictment, having been removed by certiorari) expressed themselves most perfectly satisfied of the innocency of the defendant, and requested the Judge (Mr. Baron Wood) to permit them to return a verdict of Not Guilty, without hearing any further evidence.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th March 1816

Nathaniel Lock died on 26th May 1819
DIED
Wednesday last, in the 71st year of his age, Mr. Nathaniel Lock, upwards of forty years an eminent millwright and engineer of this city, well known for his ability and integrity, whose loss is deeply regretted by his family and friends.
Norfolk Chronicle - 29th May 1819

Nathaniel Lock's son Henry took over the business after his father died

MARRIED
Thursday last, Mr. Gowing, farmer, of Hellesdon, to Miss Lock, Third daughter of the late Mr. Lock, millwright, of St. Andrew's, in this city.
Norfolk Chronicle - 17th June 1820

DIED
LOCKE. - On the 8th inst., at her residence, Hellesdon, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late Nathaniel Locke, Millwright, in her 86th year.
Norfolk Chronicle - 14th February 1874


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

All historical material within this page
© Michael Roots & Jonathan Neville
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004