Barton Bendish

Lovell's postmill existed in the 1300s but it is not known for how long.
A document of 1338 records land near Lovelismelle

John Lovell, son of John, died in the 2nd Edward III seized of this manor with the advowson of the Church of St. Mary, a windmill etc. held in the honour of Wirmegay.
(One of several manors held by one lord-paramount)

Lovell's Manor House stood a short distance to the south west of the present Barton Hall, close to St. Mary's church. What appears to be a mill mound is still to be seen on arable land at Grid Ref TF72200520 and this would seem to be the site of Lovell's mill.

The site is also recorded in the Norfolk Archaeological Unit's Index under County No. 19092

If this is the case, it is the earliest windmill in Norfolk of which its exact position can be established.
Harry Apling - c.1984

The will of Robert Rainolls, miller of Barton Bendish, was proved at Norwich Consistory Court in 1627.
He bequeathed to his son, Robert:-
" windemill called Sechtchie_Mill fully farnished as it standeth ... and the howse and pittes and hilles conteining by estimacion one acre of ground be it more or less there unto adjoining lieing and being in the boundes and limites of Totting - or Sechhill."
He also left his Barton Bendish mill to another son, W. Rainolls.
A. J. Davison, Sprowston

1338: Lovelismelle mentioned in a document

Index of Wills 1627: Robert Rainolls, miller (possibly another mill)

1627: W. Rainolls, miller

Index of Wills 1754: Anthony Loam, miller (possibly another mill)

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TF72200520
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006