Upper Hellesdon
Press Lane postmill
(early)

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

This postmill was the first of three mills on this site and was known as St Clement's Mill. Both the later Upper_Hellsdon_postmill and the subsequentUpper_Hellesdon_towermill appear on separate pages. Press Lane may have been named after Robert Press.


The mill buck was set on a 2 storey, 24 foot tall roundhouse. The common sails powered two pairs of French burr stones, one pair 5 ft. 6 ins. and the other pair 4 ft., along with a full size flour mill.


To be Sold,

The windmill without St. Augustine's Gates, late in the possession of Thomas Youngman, with the remainder of the lease (being 14 years to come) of a piece of ground on which the mill stands and several Pieces of land thereto adjoining. For further particulars enquire of Mr. De Hague, Attorney in Norwich.
Norwich Mercury - 3rd & 10th August 1754


Joseph Robinson was the miller in 1777, when he took out insurance on the mill.

Royal Exchange Fire Insurance Policy No. 69648.

6th January 1777. Joseph Robinson of the City of Norwich, Miller. On a Corn Windmill timber built situate near the road leading to Mile Cross Without St. Augustine's Gates belonging to the City of Norwich aforesaid £350. On goods in trust £50.


To be SOLD

A capital WIND-MILL, situated in the Parish of Hellesdon, and near to St. Augustine's Gates of the City of Norwich, carrying two pair of French Stones, one pair 5 Feet 6 Inches, and the other 4 Feet in diameter, and a full-sized FLOUR-MILL, with all the going Geers in the best condition; together with a round House at the bottom of the Mill, 24 Feet in the clear. Also a Lease of eight Acres of Land (on part whereof the Mill stands) for twenty-one Years from October next.
Enquire of Mr. Robertson, Miller, at his House near St. Augustine's Gates; or of Mr. Harmer, Attorney, at Norwich.
N.B. Two Hundred Pounds of the Purchase Money may remain on interest if agreeable to the Purchaser.

Norfolk Chronicle - 24th May 1784

To be SOLD

A capital WIND-MILL, situated in the Parish of Hellesdon near St. Augustine's Gates in the City of Norwich, carrying two pair of French Stones; one pair 5 Feet 6 Inches, and the other 4 Feet in Diameter, and a full-sized FLOUR-MILL, with all the going Geers in the best Condition; together with a round House at the bottom of the Mill, 24 Feet in the clear.
Also a Lease of 8 Acres of Land (on part whereof the Mill stands) for 21 years from October next.
Enquire of Mr. Robinson, Miller, at his House near St. Augustine's Gates; or of Mr. Harmer, Attorney, at Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 10th, 17th & 31st July 1784

The mill was not sold and it was put up for auction in April 1786.


To be SOLD by AUCTION

At the KING'S HEAD, in the Market-Place, Norwich, on Wednesday the 26th Day of this Instant April, at Three o'Clock in the Afternoon, subject to such Conditions of Sale as shall then and there be produced unless sooner disposed of by private Contract, of which timely notice will be given in this Paper),
THAT capital and compleat POST WIND MILL, with two Pair of French Stones; one about four Feet, the other five Feet and a half diameter, with Flour Mill, Going-geers, Brasses and Ropes thereto belonging. There is a very spacious Round House under the Mill, and the whole is in excellent Condition, it being of few Years standing, and much improved at a considerable Expence. The situation is desirable, near to the great Road between St. Augustine's Gates and Mile Cross.
Also a Term in a Lease, nineteen Years of which will be unexpired at Michaelmas 1786, of the Mill Yard and Garden, and two Inclosures of Arable Land adjoining, containing about eight Acres, and now in the occupation of Mr. Joseph Robinson, Miller, who will shew the Premises.
Enquire of Mr. Harmer, Attorney at Law, or Mr. Back, Land Steward, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th & 15th April 1786

The mill may have been demolished and replaced by another post mill after the death of John Hawks in March 1813. It is unclear whether this was a major rebuild of the previous mill buck or a total replacement during the summer months of 1813. George_Shafto appears to have been the millwright who did the work. The mill was then adveertised to be let in October 1813.


Buck's South East Prospect of Norwich 1741: St. Clement's Windmill

1754: Thomas Youngman, miller

1754: Mill advertised for sale

January 1777: Joseph Robinson, miller took out insurance on the mill for £350

1784: Joseph Robinson

May 1784: Mill advertised for sale

July 1784: Mill advertised for sale

1785: Joseph Robinson

1786: Joseph Robinson

April 1786: Mill advertised for sale by auction

c.1813: Mill buck either replaced or underwent major refurbishment and is then designated as a later mill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG22251027
 
-1741 to 1813
All historical material within this page
© Michael Roots & Jonathan Neville
Top of Page

Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2018