Thorpe
Jennings towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Jennings' Mill was a tower wind saw and corn mill, which had been built by 1854 on the site of Mousehold smockmill. Samuel Jennings was listed in White's Directory of 1854 as a stave cutter at Mousehold. He was born c.1808 at Broome, Norfolk. In 1856, Samuel Jennings was given as a saw miller. He was listed in White's Directory of 1868 as a saw miller at Gashouse Hill and in Harrod's Directory as a saw & planing miller and sawyer at Mousehold.


In 1871 he was given as a sawyer aged 63 living in Mousehold, Thorpe with his wife Priscilla (52). He was listed in Hamilton's Directory of 1879 as at the saw mills, Mousehold. In 1881 he was given as a sawyer aged 73 living in Gas Hill, Thorpe next Norwich with his wife Priscilla (62). He was listed in Eyre's Directory of 1883 as a saw mill proprietor at St. Leonard's Road. The mill was marked as a Saw Mill on the 1884 map. Samuel Jennings died on the 6th August 1885.


DEATHS.

JENNINGS. - On the 6th inst., at St. Leonard's Road, Mousehold, Norwich, Samuel Jennings, aged 77.
Norwich Mercury - 29th August 1885

Samuel Jennings was listed in White's Directory of 1887 as a miller at Gashouse Hill.


Probable site of Jennings' mill July 2004 Probable site of Jennings' mill July 2004
Probable site of Jennings' mill July 2004

The site today lies in Camp Grove and a circular depression in the ground may indicate the site of the mill. There is a low wall covering about one-third of the circumference of a circle which may have been part of the foundations of the mill. The diameter would have been about 24'.


1954 watercolour by Thomas Graysmark
1954 watercolour by Thomas Graysmark

The above 1954 watercolour by Thomas Graysmark, shows a warehouse-like buiding beside the river in Thorpe, clearly marked with the name Jennings on its roof. The O.S. maps of 1883-84 and 1947 show a sawmill close to Whitefriars Bridge. It is not know if the two buildings are in any way connected.


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG23430903
 
-1854 to 1885+
All historical material within this page
© Michael Roots & Jonathan Neville
Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004