Sprowston
towermill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Sprowston tower mill was known by many as Bond's Mill and it may have been preceded by a post mill.

This mill had the most varied uses of any in Norwich. They were; - corn milling, bark grinding, oil milling and rice milling. John Crome sketched the mill in 1807.

Henry Bond had taken the mill by 1827. The mill lost its cap in a gale in 1827.


Last Sunday afternoon during a violent gale of wind from the W.N.W. approaching almost a hurricane, a windmill at Bungay was blown down, and two others, one at Hempnall and another at Sprowston lost their caps and sails.
Norfolk Chronicle - 19th January 1827


Henry Bond was born c.1794 in Winterton, Norfolk and had married Martha Tuck at Winterton on 12th November 1823. In 1825, a son, Henry William was born and on the 23rd June 1827, a daughter, Harriet Jane was born. Then on 13th November 1828, a daughter, Ann was born and in 1830 a son, Frederic Charles, was born.


Thomas Bond was listed in Pigot’s Directory of 1830


On the 20th August 1831, a daughter, Martha, was born, on the 28th May 1833, a daughter, Elizabeth, was born. In August 1834, Henry William Bond died, aged 93. On the 16th December 1834, a daughter, Caroline, was born, on the 25th February 1836, a son, William, was born and on the 1st June 1837, a son, George William, was born. In November 1836, William Bond died, aged 8 months. In  October  1838, Frederic Bond died as an infant.


Some land near Thomas Bond’s mill at Sprowston was for sale in 1838. The mill was marked on the 1838 map . In June 1840, Caroline Bond died, aged 5. Henry Bond was listed in Blyth’s Directory of 1842. The mill was for auction in September 1842.


Tower Mill, with Patent Sails,
SPROWSTON.
Mr. SPELMAN

RESPECTFULLY acquaints the Public, that he is instructed to SELL by AUCTION. on Saturday, the 24th of September, 1842, at Three o'clock in the Afternoon, at the Norfolk Hotel, in the city of Norwich, all that
FREEHOLD BRICK TOWER MILL
With Patent Sails, two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill and Jumper, Stripping Machine, &c. &c. situate at Sprowston, near Norwich.
Also, a Cottage adjoining, with a Granary, Stable, and Cart-lodge, in the occupation of Mr. Henry Bond
The mill stands remarkably well for Wind, is substantially built, and capable of doing considerable Business, being within a short distance of the city.
Land-tax 1s. per annum
For particulars and conditions of Sale apply at the Office of Mr. Durrant, Solicitor, Surrey Street, or at Mr. Spelman’s office, St. Giles’-street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 17th September 1842


On the 15th September 1844, a son, Henry jnr was born. On the 8th and 9th of February 1851, two of Henry Bond’s daughters, Bessy and Martha, died within a day of each other. Bessy’s real name was Elizabeth. They were both buried on 14th February 1851.


DIED.

Friday last, Bessy Bond, aged 17, and on the following day, Martha, her sister, aged 19, the beloved daughters of Mr. Bond, miller, of Sprowston, in this county.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th February 1851


Henry Bond was given as a miller aged 57 living in Wroxham Road, Sprowston with his wife Martha (54) sons Frederick (21) a miller, William George (14), Henry (12) and daughter Ann (22). Also living with the family was his mother‑in-law Elizabeth Tuck, (80).


DIED.

Saturday last, to the inexpressible grief of his family and friends, Frederick Charles, aged 25, the eldest and beloved son of Mr. Bond, miller, Sprowston.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th January 1855


Frederick Charled Bond was buried on the 26th January 1855. The mill was for sale in September 1855.


SPROWSTON, NEAR NORWICH

MR. BUTCHER is instructed to Sell by Private Contract, the Capital TOWER WINDMILL, Dwelling House, Stables, Outbuildings, and Garden, in the occupation of Mr. Henry Bond, at a Rent of £30 per annum.
For Price and Particulars apply to Mr. Butcher, Auctioneer, Norwich, or to Mr. Panfield, 38, Green’s End, Woolwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th September 1855


Henry Bond jnr took over Mile Cross smockmill in 1856 and Sprowston tower mill is said to have been demolished by him in 1860. However, there is some evidence that the mill stood quite a while after this date. In Kelly’s Directory for 1875 the entry for Catton states, ... there are two windmills and a saw mill. The following advert appeared in February 1876.


In the High Court of Justice
Chancery Division

In the matter of the Norwich and Norfolk Provident Permanent Benefit Building Society,

AND

In the Matter of “The Companie’s Acts, 1862 and 1867.”
Freehold, Leasehold, and Copyhold Property, in and near the City of Norwich, and at Yoxford, in the County of Suffolk.
TO BE SOLD, pursuant to an order made in the above Matters, with the approbation of the Vice-Chancellor, Sir Charles Hall, by
MR. RAY
The person appointed by the said Judge, on Tuesday, the 14th of March, 1876, at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, at Six for Seven o'clock in the Evening, in Ten Lots.
AT SPROWSTON, NORFOLK.
Lot 1. – All that Freehold TOWER WINDMILL and COTTAGE, and about 90 Rods of Land appurtenant thereto, now in the occupation of Alfred Walker.
Annual rental value 
£12. 0s. 5d.
Particulars and Conditions of Sale may be had of the Official Liquidator, Mr. Samuel Culley, Queen Street, Norwich; of Messrs. Whites, Renard, and Co., 28, Budge Row, Cannon Street, London, E.C., of the Auctioneer, Bank Plain, Norwich; and of the Vendor’s Solicitor.
Dated this 8th day of February, 1876.

H. F. Church
Chief Clerk.
 WARNER WRIGHT,
Queen Street, Norwich,
Vendor’s Solicitor.

Norfolk Chronicle - 26th February 1876



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG23951073
 
-1807 to 1876+
All historical written material within this page © Michael Roots
Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004