New Catton Philadelphia Lane towermill
(Eglington's Mill)


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


John Fisher Gurling may have built this tower mill in the early 1820’s. Mrs. Girling was listed at Philadelphia in Blyth’s Directory of 1842 and James Vassar was the miller in 1845. He had previously been at Cann's mill, which was also in Philadelphia Lane. In 1851 he was given as a miller living in Peacock Street Opening, St. Paul’s with his wife Amelia, (30). In 1861 he was given as a miller aged 42 lodging at the Lord Howe’s Public House, St. Gregory’s. He was described as a widower in the 1861 census.  However, his 2nd wife Amelia Vassar was living with his children at her mother's (Elizabeth Gurling) house in Norwich as detailed in the 1861 census.  This is also confirmation that Amelia was sister of James' first wife, Ann.


John Brown was the next miller from 1853. He was born c.1796 in Norwich and in 1841 he was given as a miller aged 45 living in Philadelphia Lane, St. Clement’s with wife Sophia (39), son John (10) and daughter Caroline aged 1½. In 1851 he was given as a baker aged 55, born in Norwich living in the Baker’s Shop, Philadelphia Lane, St. Clement’s with wife Sophia (56), daughter Caroline (11) and son John aged 8.


John Gotts was the miller in 1858 having previously been at Costessey postmill and Elijah Eglington had taken the mill by 1863, John Gotts going to Costessey watermill. However, John Gotts moved back to Costessey postmill in 1889. Elijah Eglington was born c.1828 at Great Witchingham and had previously been brought up at Horsham St. Faiths watermill. He was given in White’s Directory of 1868 as a corn miller and in Harrod’s Directory of 1868 as a corn miller at Magdalen Street. The mill was for auction in February 1872.


During the time of Elijah Eglington's tenure and for some considerable time after, the mill was known as Eglington's mill.


TO BE SOLD, pursuant to an Order of the High Court of Chancery, made in a Cause of GIRLING v BREAM, with the approbation of the Vice-Chancellor, Sir RICHARD MALINS, in two Lots, by

MR. WILLIAM HUNTER

The person appointed by the said Judge, at the Maid’s Head Hotel, Norwich, on Thursday, the 8th day of February 1872, at Six for Seven o'clock in the Evening,

A Piece of Freehold BUILDING LAND, St. Clement Without, Norwich, containing, with a moiety of Road, 32 Rods, with the Brick built TOWER WINDMILL and Tiled Shed thereon.

Printed Particulars and Conditions of Sale may be had gratis of Messieurs Miller, Son, and Stevens, of Bank Chambers, Norwich, Solicitors, and of Mr. William Hunter, the Auctioneer, at St. Andrew’s Plain, Norwich.

Dated this 18th day of January 1872.

H. PRICHARD,

Chief Clerk.

Norfolk Chronicle - 27th January 1872

Elijah Eglington went to Stoke Holy Cross watermill by 1881. At this time his wife Elizabeth was aged 54 and he had two daughters, Ellen Mary Eglington (14), and Hannah Elizabeth Eglington aged 12.


William Smith took the mill. It may be the case that he owned the mill. He was born c.1809 at Cratfield, Suffolk and in 1851 was given as a carpenter at Philadelphia in St. Paul’s parish. He was listed in White’s Directory of 1854 as a stave cutter at Philadelphia. In 1861 he was given as a master mill sawyer aged 52 living in Philadelphia, St. Clement’s with his wife Maryann, 44, and daughter Caroline, 18. He was listed in Harrod’s Directory of 1868 as a sawyer at Philadelphia. However, it appears that he did not use the windmill for long as it seems to have been dismantled in the latter part of 1872.


UPPER HELLESDON

THE MACHINERY, FITTINGS, AND MATERIALS OF A BRICK TOWER FLOUR WINDMILL, COMPRISING FOUR PATENT SAILS – EACH 30 FEET LONG BY 8 FEET; PAIR OF STOCKS, ABOUT 50 FEET LONG, IRON CURVEL, WIND TACKLE COMPLETE, CAPITAL IRON WINDSHAFT, IRON WALLOWER, SPUR WHEEL, PAIR OF IRON STONE NUTS ON GROVED SPINDLES, 2 PAIRS EXCELLENT FRENCH BURR MILL STONES, 4 FEET 9 AND 4 FEET 6, LARGE IRON BEVEL WHEEL, FLOUR MILL, JUMPER, HEAVY IRON SAIL AND OTHER BOLTS, BRASS BEARINGS, OLD IRON, AND SUNDRY FIREWOOD.

F. CLOWES is favoured with instructions to SELL the above by AUCTION, on Tuesday next, the 1st of October, 1872, in Lots, at Philadelphia, Upper Hellesdon, at Two o'clock in the Afternoon.

Further particulars may be obtained at the Auctioneer’s Offices, Bank Chambers, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th September 1872.


The mill was marked on the 1874 map.


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG22461038
 
-1824 to 1872
All historical material within this page © Michael Roots Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2006