Heigham
Stone Hills
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Heigham post mill was built in 1731 by the Norwich millwright Francis Gooch


This is to give Notice, That there is a new-built Wind-mill of 18l per Annum Rent to be Sold, with Appurtances thereunto belonging, all in very good Repair, a great Penniworth, standing and being on Stone-Hills in Heigham, within the Liberty of the City of Norwich, well situated. Inquire of Mr. Francis Gooch, of Heigham aforesaid, Mill-Wright; Mr. John Lessingham, of Norwich aforesaid, Beer-Brewer; Mr. John Gipps of Norwich aforesaid, Carpenter; and Mr. Thomas Layton, of Norwich aforesaid, Inn-holder
Norwich Gazette - 16th October 1731


The mill was marked on the 1741 map


There was a robbery at the mill on the Thursday 16th July 1795

Early on Thursday morning last, Mr. Murray's Windmill, on Stone Hills, without St. Benedicts gates, was broke into and robbed of flour and meal, to the amount of £5
Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 18th July 1795.

The mill was marked on the 1826 map and Henry Allen was listed as miller in Pigot's Directory of 1830.
He had previously been at the Mill Hill mill, Heigham.


CAPITAL WIND MILL
Advantageously situated on Stone Hills, in Heigham, and
LEASEHOLD TENEMENTS,
WITH FARMING BUILDINGS AND PAR YARDS,
BETWEEN Magdalen and Saint Augustine's Gates
To be SOLD by AUCTION,
By Mr. Sharpe,
At the Bell Inn, Orford Hill, Norwich,
On Saturday, the 30th day of June, 1838,
At Four o'clock in the Afternoon,
IN HEIGHAM,
Lot 1. ALL that capital POST WINDMILL, on Stone Hills, now in the occupation of Mr. Henry Allen, comprising a substantial Brick-built Round-house, with two floors 24 feet in diameter, with two pair of French Stones, flour mill and jumper, new iron wind shaft, two new stocks, 56 feet long by 12-13 inches, two pair of new chains, 20 feet with patent sails, and all useful appendages, in good repair; also the remainder of the term in the Land, on which the mill is erected, subject to the annual Ground-rent expressed in the Lease, which will expire 29th Sept. 1875. The Land contains half an acre or thereabouts, with neat and convenient brick and tile Dwelling-house, Garden, Stable, Gig-house, and Outbuildings, abutting on the road leading from the Turnpike road to Heigham Church. The whole in the occupation of Mr. Allen, under a Lease of which three years will be unexpired at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Skipper, Solicitor, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 23rd June 1838


In 1841, Henry Allen was given as a miller aged 45-49 living at Mill House, Heigham with wife Elizabeth, 35-39, sons Henry, 15-19, James, 8, and Thomas, 1, and daughters Elizabeth, 15-19, Sophia, 13, Mary, 9, and Sarah, 61. Henry Allen was listed in Blyth's Directory of 1842 at Stone Hills, Dereham Road.
The mill was again advertised for auction in July 1842.


CAPITAL WINDMILL
Advantageously situated on
STONE HILLS, HEIGHAM
In the Immediate vicinity of Norwich,
To be SOLD by AUCTION
By Mr. CULLEY,
At the Bell Inn, Orford Hill, Norwich,
At Four o'clock in the Afternoon
ALL that capital POST WIND MILL, situate on Stone Hills, Heigham, comprising a good substantial brick-built round-house, with two floors, two pair of French stones, flour mill and jumper, iron wind shaft, two stocks, two pair clams, a ten-foot head wheel, nearly 12 yards of sail, two patent sails and all useful appendages. Also the remainder of the Term in the Land on which the Mill is erected, which term will expire 29th September 1875.
The Land contains half an acre or thereabouts, with neat and convenient brick and tile Dwelling?house, Garden, Stable, Gighouse, and Outbuildings, Abutting on the road leading from the Turnpike road to Heigham Church.
The Mill and other premises are in the occupation of Mr. Henry Allen, who is under notice to quit at Michaelmas next.
Ground rent to Landlord £8 per annum
For particulars apply to Mr. Skipper, Solicitor, and to the Auctioneer, Norwich

Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 23rd July 1842.


The mill did not find a buyer and was for sale or to let in October 1842


Capital Windmill
SITUATE IN THE
Immediate Vicinity of Norwich,
TO BE LET,
WITH IMMEDIATE POSSESSION,
Or, SOLD by Private Contract,
A Capital POST WIND MILL, situate on STONE HILLS, HEIGHAM, late in the occupation of Mr. Henry Allen, comprising a substantial brick-built Round-house, with two pairs of French Stones, Flour Mill and Jumper, two Patent Sails and all necessary and useful appendages. A neat and convenient Brick and Tile Dwelling-house, Garden, Stable, Gig-house, and Outbuildings, and Land, containing Half an Acre, or thereabouts, is attached to the Mill
Immediate Possession can be given.
For Particulars apply to Mr. Skipper, Solicitor, or Mr. Culley, Auctioneer, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - Saturday 1st October 1842


The mill was advertised again three weeks later

To Millers, Corn Merchants, and others,
TO BE LET OR SOLD
WITH IMMEDIATE POSSESSION,
A Capital POST WINDMILL, with Brick-built Round-house, two Floors, two pairs of French Stones, and Appurtances; also the remainder of the term unexpired in the Land on which the Mill stands, containing half an Acre or Thereabouts, and in the convenient brick and tile Dwelling, Stable, Gig?house, and Outbuildings. The remainder of the term is 30 years, from Michaelmas next.
Situation One Mile from Norwich, at Heigham.
Application to be made to Messrs. Skipper and Son, Solicitors, or to Mr. Culley, Auctioneer, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd October 1842

Henry Allen was later listed as an oatmeal and groat manufacturer in Magdalen Street and was also given as a seed and flour merchant, later moving to Distillery Street. In 1861 he was given as a miller aged 65 living at 29, Distillery Street, Heigham with his sons Thomas, 21, and Stephen, 19; and daughters Mary Ann, 29 and Sarah A., 26


John Bunn was the miller in 1847, followed by William Russell in 1850. He was born c.1793 in Shropham, Norfolk. In 1851 he was given as a miller aged 58 living at Mill Lane, Heigham with his wife Anna, 34, and daughter Emily A., 7. Also living with him were his father-in-law George Gower, 70, mother-in-law Ann Gower, 75, Sister-in-law Emily Gower, 40, and an apprentice, William Smith, 15


John Bunn was listed in White's Directory of 1854 as a corn miller in Heigham, living in Stone Hills; and in Melville's Directory of 1856 as a miller in Dereham Road. The mill was to be sold and removed in April 1857


The item below was the last mention of the mill. It is likely it was demolished in the summer of 1857

TO BE SOLD AND REMOVED
THE WINDMILL at Stone Hills, Heigham.
Apply to Mr. Hotblack, Orford Hill, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 25th April 1857


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG21100930
 
1731 to 1857
All historical material within this page © Michael Roots
Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004