Eaton
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Eaton mill was marked on a 1741 map and also on Faden's map of 1797. It is most likely that the mill was a postmill although this has yet to be confirmed.


The site was to the North of Daniels Road, mid-way between Ipswich Road and Newmarket Road and the mill stood about 100 feet above sea level.


To be LETT or Sold, A Windmill,

one mile from St. Stephen's Gates, with all her going Gears, one Pair of French Stones, and a FLOUR MILL, all in exceeding good Repair.
For Particulars enquire of Mr. John Brown, Baker, near St. Michael's Coslany Bridge, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 1st March 1777


Map 1741: Windmill

March 1777: Mill advertised to be let or sold

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Census 1841: Robert Chapman (25) miller
Elizabeth Chapman (25)
George Chapman (47)

Census 1851: Robert Samuel Chapman (39) b.Castle Rising, miller
Eliza Chapman (35) b.St Edmunds, Lincs
Frederick Chapman (8) b.Eaton
Emma Chapman (6) b.Eaton
Anna Chapman (4) b.Eaton
Henry Chapman (2) b.Eaton
Robert Chapman (1) b.Eaton
Address: Eaton Road, Eaton St Andrews


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG22000690
 
-1741 to 1797+
All historical material within this page © Michael Roots Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004